Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #21
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
We have had our 09 3400RL since June and put about 4000 miles on it. No problems yet except for two minor ones. It took us a month to figure out how to operate the Microwave/convection oven. Actully I finally figured out that the latch was sticking and not allowing it to restart. Now it works fine. We still have problems with the blown fuse in the front storage that operates the front landing gear, awning etc. blew again today coming home from the weekend trip. 4th time I think.

iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #22
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I forget to mention we have the fireplace. We like like it a lot. Does heat most of the unit but we have another small heater for bathroom.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Larry, we have a ’06 3400RL and it came with the fireplace. In ours, it just takes the chill out of the living room, we do like the ambience and we do not need that space for storage as some others do. As far as problems, you are likely to have just about anything go wrong, but that seems to be true with any brand. The key is keeping up with the information on this forum. Preventive maintenance is the other key. I have had a leaky shower, ended up fixing it myself. The plastic looms for the wire harnesses under the slides were breaking and I fixed them with 4 inch hinges. Microwave needed some minor work and a new door seal. Some keep blowing fuses on the landing gear and have to increase the amperage on the fuses or add another. Some have had “frame flex” and many have had problems with the Mission brand tires, including myself. Someone listed the saying “If you own an RV you must be handy with your tools and loose with your cash” or something to that effect. There are many RV repair manuals on the market or you can ask questions here and usually get an instant response from someone who has “been there, done that”. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new rig…..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had a few minor problems with the 06 3400. This is the list we had when we spent 4 days at the service center in April of 2007. We took delivery in May of 06. The service center did correct all of the problems.

1) Wiring from melt down, Details attached
2) Running lights on top of front cap do not work as a result of the rewire
3) A Large amount of Hydraulic fluid leaked into the underbelly as a result of the meltdown and has soaked everything in that area.
4) Red “fuse blown” lights do not work when fuse is defective in the Iota panel
5) Stripped screws in the Iota fuse panel, it is loose on the wall
6) Groove in black material under the bedroom slide. The material is also pulling loose from the slide.
7) There are wrinkles in the roof first reported at the Goshen Rally in Sept06
8) Slides will pause/stop when moving in or out
9) There is a waste smell in the camper,
10) There is a small leak in the waste pipe in the right front compartment at the first joint
11) There is interference on chan 2, 3 and 4 when on the TV antenna. Any city any place
12) Kink in hose under the sink restricts water flow, poor design, also the faucet continually comes loose.
13) Galley tank gauge reads 2/3 full all the time
14) Right side of main awning will not lock down, does not line up properly
15) Top wood strip at top of step that door slides on is about to fall off
16) Flashing around main slide is pulling away from the wall(right side)
17) Emergency exit window in bedroom has a big air leak, right side
18) Main slide appears to sag, seal does not fit correctly
19) Furnace,A/C goes into ‘Off”” Mode for no reason, Does not loose power, just goes off. Reset and normal.
20) Caulking on the bottom of the front hatch missed its mark and you can push the panel away from the camper
21) Skirt on Kitchen slide , screws stripped and fell ou.t March 14th
22) Hot water heater will not light on. Gas Worked till March 16th,07
23) Clothing rod ripped out of the wall on the right side. March 17th
24) A/C breakers are tripping with increased frequency all over the camper with no increased load. Kitchen, living room are the worst.
25) Fantastic fan sticks
26) Seal around side compartment falling off.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #25
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hello Larry and Susan Welcome to the Family!!!!!! What ever problems come up there are two things for sure you can count on. 1 - Help from everyone on this forum 2 - Montana and Keystone have built a great reputation on standing up to the plate when it comes to taking care of their customers!!!!!! OH, to answer your question, the fireplace we had in our 3650rk looked and worked great for taking the morning chill off and helped save a lot of propane for us!!! It sounds like the new ones are a smaller wattage though so you need to check that out before you order...... Looking forward to seeing you both in Green Gate Grove, Mission this fall/spring.
safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #26
Montyman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8786
Thanks to everyone that replied to our queery about the 2009 Montanas. I'll be checking with my dealer about the wattage of the fireplace and I saved all the replys to a file so I can refer to them when we finally take our unit out on the road. This MOC is a great source of information, I'm learning morre all the time.
Thanks again,
Montyman
Montyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #27
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Mine works great. If you leave it on for a long period of time make sure to feel the wood above the heating element. Mine was scorched after I left it cranked up on high overnight. The leson be careful with electric heaters.

MHO
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #28
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
My DW wanted the fireplace and we have it,end of discussion.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #29
tucktucker

M.O.C. #8495
Send a message via AIM to tucktucker
We have an 2007 3585-SA that we have been in full time for 6 months. There have been know problems. And the way this thing is built I don't look to have to many.
tucktucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:33 AM   #30
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Larry and Susan -

We are into our 5th year in our 2005 3400. We do not fulltime, but do spend the equivalent of 7-8 weeks per year in our unit. We just got back from a 4700 mile trip out west over 18 days. We tow our unit over washboard dirt roads in the mountains back into areas of Colorado and Wyoming. We have had very little in the way of issues with our unit. It has survived one tornado and numerous "operator error" incidents. It still looks like it is new on the inside. Have a little peeling on the decals, but other than that the outside is still in good shape also. We really have enjoyed this unit and are looking at a new Big Sky in 2009. We use the fireplace for a little heat, but also augment with two 1500 watt ceramic heaters. Our reason for upgrading isn't issues with the unit but a desire to get some of the new ameneties in the 10th Anniversary edition.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #31
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
I guess we have been lucky. No problems of any major concern. We had a leak below the shower from the shower drain, a water leak under the kitchen sink, just tightened the water line connections and replaced the drain in the shower. We have a 2007 3400 and have been full timers for over a year now.

We have the fire place, in fact I had not put the propane tank I just had filled back in and we ran out of propane last night. The temperature went down to 31 degrees, I was fine but the DW got up and turned on the fireplace to get warm. When I got up this morning at 6am the living room was nice and warm. I guess now I have to go out and put in the tank.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #32
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Hi gang,
We have an 09 3605RL, and have had only one major problem. There was a screw under the kitchenette slide, by the door, that hadn't been "seated" and caught the teflon bar attached to the floor under the slide. After noticing this on the first day out, I called the selling dealer for a time to return, they told me that they were "2 weeks out" on appointments. As we had summer plans and the two week delay wouldn't have been easy to work with, we decided to go and when we came to another Montana dealer we would have it addressed. It turned out that we called ahead to a Savannah Ga. dealer, and they too were two weeks out, but we were about two weeks away from being there. We met our appointment and they replaced the DVD player, as it was broken, and told me that the slide repair was about 4 hours of work to fix and couldn't get us in for another two weeks. Bottom line...... We finally contacted the Grand Junction, Co. dealer and they told me to be there at a time that would allow us travel time. Once we delivered the Monty to them, they had us in and out in about 1-1/2 hours. The DVD player that the Savannah dealer replaced works well, except I had to rewire the surround sound speakers to match the speaker sound output.
As far as the fireplace goes, we purchased the unit off the lot and the FP works as advertised.
We also had to call the manufacturer for the new microwave/convection oven about popcorn output. We were told NOT to used the popcorn preset button and place a ceramic dish onto the carousel and put the bagged popcorn onto that and use the time shown on the bag to get best results. What a deal. Have a popcorn button on the oven that shouldn't be used.
All in all, we are satisfied with the rig. It is our first monty and second 5th wheel. We are fulltime and have had the rig since the last week of May,08 and have about 10k miles on it already.
I do have a question for others that might read this post. I pryed out one of the Dexter axle dust covers that cover the zerk fitting and found that it was already cracked. I carefully pryed the second one and it also was cracked. Any others have the same problem, if so what is the best fix?
Thanks for the MOC forum.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #33
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Initially, we had many occurences of blowing the front fuse. The dealer explained that our TV wasn't recharging the battery while under tow, so the battery was weak due to the multitude of small draws while under tow. The large current demand of the hydraulic pump would then blow the fuse. I was skeptical, but he was right. It turns out that the charging pin on our TV's trailer connection wasn't energized (I checked it myself). The TV dealer (who has been excellent) rectified this problem at no charge and we haven't had a single incident since. Good luck!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #34
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
KathyandDave thats a good point for all the GM owners the charging pin is connected under the hood of the GM Trucks from the factory. It must be connected with a M6 nut to the proper pole before it will charge the Trailer. Montyman the fireplace does work but don't expect it to heat a lot of space. But it looks so nice at night and we do use ours in the cool mornings to knock down the chill somewhat. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #35
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
The biggest problem Mary and I can see is wiping that smile off your face when you are pulling that baby home the first time. Good luck and happy camping.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote