Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
mtofell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7825
Landing Gear Stuck

I have an 04 Montana 2955RL and raised it up to hookup today and it's stuck. On one side the motor just spins with no movement, the other side makes a horrible clunking noise, again with no movement.

I fear I tried to extend it too far but it wouldn't raise up high enough to get the truck under it. My theory was it had to be that high to get the truck out so I kept trying to raise it. It made a couple pops on it's way up but generally kept lifing. It's just strange that neither side works but they sound totally different.

There definitely no electrical problem. The switches and motor(s) work fine.

I'll get someone out to fix it but I'd be curious if anyone has any suggestions.... thanks!

mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
mtofell, the shaft that runs from one side to the other in the compartment that opens up twards the hitch, under the front overhang. That shaft has 2 bolts and nuts, one on the right side and one on the left side. If they break (due to too much stress) that may be your problem, the moter will turn, but the pads will not go up or down. I'll see if I can find a picture for you.

Here is a link to a picture of the screw and nut, (Picture from Ozz mods) Thanks Ozz.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=f99e2648.jpg
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
mtofell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7825
Thanks for the reply... I must have a different model or something. The only thing resembling a shaft from side to side is my propane line. The access to whatever needs fixing is pretty scarce. I can't see it from underneath, from inside the propane cabinets (where the motors are) or from the tool storage area.

I'll keep looking... thanks for the help!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
mtofell, As you face the pin set on the montana, the storage compartment area that opens out at you, and latched from the top to keep it open. The landing gear motor is on the right side, and just below it is the square bar that runs across from right to left. It hooks to gears and the actual landing gears. The bolt and nut are on the right side just below the motor and another one on the far left side. You can not see them from the propane compartments.

Send me a PM with an e-mail address and I have 2 pictures that might help.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
On our last trip I raised the legs too far up and when we tried lowering them to get the trailer off the truck they would not work. So we started doing the manual process. Welllllll... after just a little bit of that we said.... let's try the motor again. We did and the thing started working! And it has been fine since then. But your situation sounds a little different. We didn't have the noise you said yours made.

You might try the manual process. You'll need to do that anyway from the sound of things. It is probably the only way to get the trailer on and off.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
mtofell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7825
Thanks everyone... I had a repair guy out today and he determined they're both shot. One of them I'm not surprised as it seems the past owner drove off with it down.... the other one I'm a bit surprised.

The odd thing is they both went out together (each one is separate with a totally separate motor). I'm curious, what do your jacks do when you get to the top of the their range of travel? The tongue jack on my old TT just kind of stopped. Is there something in the motor to prevent damage when you are at the end of it's range (up or down)? Thanks for any info....
Old 11-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Glad to hear you got them fixed. On mine, when I get to the top (retracted), they stop and go click click click until I let up on the switch. Have not had them down (extended)far enough to come to the end.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Just curious-- are you using any blocks of wood between the ground and your landing gear to put your landing gear on as it comes down so you don't have to extend the landing gear so far?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
mtofell
Established Member

M.O.C. #7825
This was the first time I have parked it in the spot and I didn't use any. I may in the future but I don't think it changes my situation. The main problem is the distance I have to travel to get level from where it comes off the truck. I have plenty of holes left on the manual portion of the landing gear. It's just the amount of travel needed from where it comes off the truck until it's level.

I could pour additional cement to raise the point where the wheels sit and that would help by keeping the resting point of the wheels at less of a vertical difference from the point where the jacks bear on the ground, thus having the trailer closer to level when it comes off the truck.

As I'm typing this I actually had to pause and make sure what I was thinking/writing makes sense... I think it does. It's like one of those math problems with the truck on the hill and the angles and all of that... yikes, math flashback!!