Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2007, 04:34 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That won't work..Boycott for a few days then we will have to purchase twice as much. the only way is to reduce consumption,and not for just a few days.We are not willing to make that sacrifice even worse we refuse to include ourselves in the blame. OPEC, Them, The folks in Texas, the gas companies.I can prove we will not make the sacrifice...Read the forum..and the comments about not letting the price of fuel bother our camping plans.I just put 65.00 worth of fuel in my Gas Guzzling F-350 for this week end camping trip.Me make the sacrifice..not my fault...it is "their fault"

from right now >> Oil sinks as gasoline supplies finally rise
Crude prices fall as gas supplies, running low ahead of the summer driving season, gain for first time in 13 weeks...

Why did that happen.... Demand due to very high prices went down.. We did not use as much fuel..Supply went up..price is going down

Supply and demand works..if only we will admit to being a large part of the problem..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #42
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
passed a station on the way to work today that advertised: "Off Road" Diesel - $2.599/gal; "On Road" Diesel - $2.799/gal

Does anyone KNOW what the difference is? I can guess that the off road doesn't meet the new sulfer level standards. What would keep someone from filling their tank with "off road" fuel to save money?

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:50 AM   #43
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Off road is the 500 PPM if memory serves, used for farm equipment, etc. If your truck is a 2006 model or older it'd burn just fine. Is it legal? thats another question.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #44
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Here in Wisconsin it is illegal to use offroad diesel in on road vehicles. They dye the offroad red so that they can detect it in the tank of a vehicle. if caught using it I believe the fine can be as hihg as $25,000
I would hate to get caught!

Merv

Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #45
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
The difference is in taxes. Off road doesn't pay the same tax rate. They aren't going to make a different grade of diesel!

The fine for using off-road is very stiff. If you don't drive up in your tractor or combine or fuel tank, someone will surely turn you in.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #46
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Rich
I do not quite understand your first couple of sentences in reply to my post. What do you mean by that we will have to buy twice as much?
How does boycotting two major oil companies makes us buy twice as much fuel. You would still purchase your fuel as needed but not from these major players.I would think by boycotting these majors coast to coast there would be some kind of reaction from them, either in supply or price reduction. Hopefully this would result in a chain reaction.
I agree that we are not going to reduce our consumption, people are going to travel, use that new car,truck,boat and RVs. They will reduce consumption in some what other way, either in clothing, food , health, etc.
Jon
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #47
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mobilrvn

Wow, everyone sounds so rational! I can't see where the price of fuel is rational at all. By announcing that the price of fuel will reach $4.00, you can sure bet that it will. It is all manipulated--remember the obscene profits the oil cmpanies continue to make. The oil companies don't want any new refineries or there would be new refineries. It is so much easier to limit supply with so few refineries---want more profit, just take some off line for maintenance.
The profits the oil companies make as a percentage have not changed.

As for no new refineries, talk to the environmental wackos who will not let us drill in Alaska...might disturb the polar bears, elk or something else absurd. Also, talk to the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) crowd that keep us from drilling off both coasts and the Gulf of Mexico. We have plenty of oil, the problem is getting to it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #48
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Off road diesel is a BIG no no.if your stopped and they stick your tank and find your running off road diesel you get fined for how ever many miles you have on the truck.The 18 wheelers get checked often.not so much with a pick-up truck,but it does happen.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I guess my point is that boycotts on a product that we have got to have are ineffective because we may not buy the product for a day or so but when our tank runs dry we will have to buy, a single day or a few days will make no difference to a single company or group of companies. The only solution is to reduce demand on a ongoing basis, every day not just a day or so. It is different to boycott oranges or lettuce..we do not absolutly need to eat a orange..we can go months without having a orange..not so with fuel.. I would be afraid that the reaction of the fuel industry to a boycott would be to raise the price on a product we can not do without.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #50
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Misconception mania!!! The oil producers do not set the price for the oil, all they do is supply it and the market determines the price. Refiners of the fuel make about 8 CENTS per gallon profit but the GOVERNMENT - local, state federal add over 60 CENTS to the price of a gallon of fuel. The profits of an energy company is right there with WalMart, Sears, Firestone, etc. but only the energy companies are called thieves.

As for us, my lovely bride keeps driving the Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi Limited and I my Duramax Diesel because we choose to do so. If we could not afford these toy's fuel we would not have purchased them in the first place.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #51
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
This thread has gotten off topic and in some cases much too personal. It is being locked.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote