Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
fgood11
Established Member

M.O.C. #22784
Automatic Transfer Switch Problem

Here is my background - I have a 2020 Montana 3721RL Legacy Edition. I pull this with a 2017 F350 DRW. I purchased this June 1919 on the east coast. I live in Missouri.

In late August of this year I noticed that my power to the RV was not coming into the distribution panel and traced the problem to the Progressive Dynamics model PD52DCS transfer switch. I do have a generator. I called Progressive and explained the problem. After a little discussion they sent me the replacement part. I replaced the switch mounting it back the same way the manufacture had. Last week I was in Branson and i noticed my batteries were running at about 11.7 volts I thought that my converter was not working. Checked the power at the distribution box and no power on one leg. Switched the power on and off at the pedestal and no power at all in camper. It was 11:00 at night and we were leaving in the morning so we just lived with it for the night. Next morning I hooked up to the truck to charge the batteries to get slides and jacks up. Got home plugged into shore power and everything worked. Got back two days later from a trip with my two sons and grandsons. Turned the shore power off and back on at the source. No power in the RV. I traced this back to the transfer switch that I replaced.

I was reading on one of the post with pictures that another individual had a problem with his transfer switch. In a discussion with Progressive he was told his switch was mounted incorrectly. I believe his was a 2018 Montana. Looking at his pictures I noticed mine was mounted the same. Checked the instruction found on Progressive's web site and determined mine was not mounted correctly.

So here are my questions. 1. Why would this switch be sensitive to orientation? 2. Is this an occasional Manufacturing problem (error) or are all the switches mounted this way? Is this a wide spread problem that has caused a lot of grief? 3. Can I just find a way to rotate the switch or is it going to require a new switch? As you know it is not easy to get to the switch.

I am just looking for some experience and general discussion on this. Maybe if I have to purchase another switch it should be a different brand.

I noticed that the pictures are rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise. When I enlarged them they rotated correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	7820   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	7821  

fgood11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
My question would be Did keystone mount the transfer switch in a manner AND orientation specified by progressive? The cover should show how it is to be mounted, I would think. The inside cover should show you which contacts are for incoming priority power, ie, park power and the wiring sequence for line one hot, neutral, and ground, line two hot, neutral, and ground as well as the connections for secondary power, ie, generator, and wiring output contacts to the breaker box. I do not have this transfer switch in my montana nor a gennie...but that is the switch I would use if/when I get around to mounting a power inlet on the side of my montana. Sorry for the lack of help.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
raygreg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23813
My transfer switch is mounted like yours ( rotating it so that the Jaboni is mounted above the thx switch). I replaced mine and mounted it exactly as it had been originally installed. I don't recall reading anything about orientation. I think it would be difficult to mount it any other way.
How did they say it is supposed to be mounted?
raygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
fgood11
Established Member

M.O.C. #22784
Keystone did not mount it per Progressive’s instructions. Per the instructions on Progressive’s web site mine should be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise so the power from shore and Gen come in from the top on a vertical wall.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
raygreg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23813
I just looked at the instructions. I can't see how that could make any difference in the mounting. I could be wrong, but I am not changing the orientation of that box.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #6
fgood11
Established Member

M.O.C. #22784
Both the original and the replacement switch failed when the relay would not pull in to connect shore power to the RV. With the cover off the switch I could simply touch the top of the relay to activate it. It would not pull in on it's own. The generator side continued to work. It is hard to believe that two switches would fail in exactly the same way within the time I have owned this RV. There was no visible damage on either of the switches. The only thing that I can come up with is the mounting orientation. There must be some gravity forces working on the switch that is causing the failure. Remember this current switch quit working while I was in Branson, Mo. and worked the first time when I got home. But would not work again after power was removed with out giving the relay a little help. The road vibration going home must have worked it loose for one engagement. The attached file on page two show the approved mounting orientation for a vertical wall. If there isn't any reason for the failure I feel like I have to question the quality of this switch. I was hoping others had experience or knowledge that could point me toward the best path forward. If the switch has a good history but has sensitivity to position/orientation then I need to figure out how to rotate it with wire length issues etc. I appreciate everyone's assistance in the issue.

This switch uses a low voltage coil to activate the relay to avoid the hum that ac relays have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PD52-PD52DCSD-PD53-Manual-english(1).pdf (1.19 MB, 336 views)
Old 11-19-2020, 05:36 AM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Well I have played with a lot of relays in my life. It sounds like to me someone went cheap on the relay coil and found the workaround to fix it by changing the orientation.

So I would go with the manufacturer's work around and rotate it
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Well I have played with a lot of relays in my life. It sounds like to me someone went cheap on the relay coil and found the workaround to fix it by changing the orientation.

So I would go with the manufacturer's work around and rotate it

I agree. I have relays in my shop that looks almost identical to those that are over 50 years old and still work like new. I’d bet they went with the cheapest ones they could fine. I can’t see how it would make any difference in how they were mounted. I would buy another relay and be done with it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #9
raygreg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23813
They do have a 2 year parts only warrantee. You have to pay the shipping on returning the old one. The replacement was a factory "refurbed" unit. Hopefully better then the original.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
mbjam359
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20338
I asked the factory rep about mounting my replacement the way it was originally mounted and he said no problem. Mine is mounted like the OP.
mbjam359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #11
luckeyd
Established Member

M.O.C. #25356
I had to replace my transfer switch on 2020 Legacy 3121RL this past August. Same problem, no power and had to "assist" the relay to connect. Finally it would no longer stay connected even after holding it in. My switch is mounted same as OP and I mounted replacement same way. There is no way to mount as per the instructions, input cord to box is too short to move and no place to move box over. Out side has plenty of cord, and could be moved either up or down. Will wait and see how long this one lasts. Don't have a generator, so if it goes out again, will just bypass it and direct connect power connections as I had to do when it failed. We went for 2 months with the bypass in place before returning home and getting new switch.

2020 Montana 3121RL Legacy
luckeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #12
fgood11
Established Member

M.O.C. #22784
Contacted Progressive

I rotated the transfer switch through I doubt this has any real effect on the switch. The one that had failed would not function in the new position. Rotating the switch was easier than I thought. All of the input wires were long enough that I rotated 90 degrees and reinstalled the four screws.

I contacted Progressive Dynamics and they are sending me a replacement switch. They have been very easy to work with. i so appreciate their customer service.

Thanks
Frank
2022 F350 DRW
Old 11-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #13
jmell44
Established Member

M.O.C. #15942
I too had to replace the ATS in my 2020 Legacy 3120, I just installed it yesterday. I questioned the Progressive Dynamics rep about the mounting orientation and he said it isn't an issue. In the 3120 there's a drain pipe that prevents it from mounting in the correct orientation. There's enough wire to move it a little but I'm going to see if this one will last. Also, I've read that the torque specs should be checked once a year since loose lugs seem to be the biggest problem killing the switches. What a pain that would be since I have a lot of built in shelving in the pass through.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201129_131457_HDR.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	7904  
jmell44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:41 PM   #14
Budman229
Established Member

M.O.C. #25913
We have a 2021 3121RL and I am installing a replacement transfer switch tomorrow. I get the wiring. What I'm confused about is the torque settings on the wiring. Can anyone tell me what are the correct settings for the power connections and the ground connections?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_PXL_20210413_194242979.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	8914  
Budman229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #15
hbr509
Established Member

M.O.C. #27836
I have a 2021 3931fb that was bought in December I have had it out 2 weekends and so far ,1 kodiak brake caliber locked up and blew all the fluid out, waiting on new caliper.pads,rotor , The Key tv stop working with direct tv so I had to bypass that and wire straight to tv. Now got back Sunday to campground and no power .waiting on mobile tech to replace transfer switch tomorrow.I guess new rig blues , getting a little frustrated keystone says take it back to dealer Yea in August. I bought this to use not wait 4 mths . So I,m paying for the repairs and sending them the bill. Will see if I get money back .
hbr509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #16
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
here is a conversion chart to ft lbs nobody i know has a in pound torque wrench a little all knox grease and hand tightening them tight will work fine. i had mine go out also a while back i bypassed it and have the new one they sent on a shelf. but i do not have a generator and could get away without it.

https://www.asknumbers.com/foot-poun...nch-pound.aspx

al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #17
raygreg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23813
I bought an Inch pound torque wrench screw driver on Amazon when I replaced my transfer switch. I don't think you really one though.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #18
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
wow did not know about the torque screwdriver just checked it out at amazon. not sure i would use it much not being a mechanic. but thanks for the info on it.
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #19
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We don’t have a newer rig that has one of these switches, but reading the discussion, why would this switch being mounted different than the manufacturer recommends be any different from Keystone installing the wrong breaker for the hydraulic system, or installing the waste tanks from the lips instead of supporting them like the manufacturer said to. I’m sure there are some other things installed different than recommended.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote