Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #1
Maks
Established Member

M.O.C. #19245
Cold Weather Towing

We are trying to leave for a much warmer climate but our weather at home is not cooperating. Currently temps outside average -15F and drop at night to -25F.
I'm used to towing in cold temps but I'm concerned about what that might due to our fifth wheel. We have about 6 days of driving to get where we want to go and we will not be staying in our trailer until it's at least 50F outside. (currently fully winterized)
Any thoughts or advice on towing in such cold temps? Would I be damaging our trailer if I attempt it?
We pull a 2018 3790rd with an HDT (customized Volvo 730). Not worried about the truck, just the trailer.

Maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We pulled our trailer in cold temps like that and it wasn't winterized, but traveled with the furnace on. You should have no issues, except for possibly slippery roads. Just take it easy and you should be good.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Kevin,

Should not have an issue unless you are dealing with ice on the road.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:15 AM   #4
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Only thing I'd be concerned about are road conditions or high winds.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:10 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Kevin, in 2019 we were headed home from Arizona to Colorado. We were not winterized because we were planning on staying in the rig until we got home. We got into some -13 F temps in Wyoming and our DEF system froze up. It turned out we needed a software update on the Ram, which was out of warranty. We spent the night at the KOA in Rock Springs, Wyoming. With 50 amp service we ran the furnace, fireplace and a heater in the bedroom. There used to be a regular member that lived in Alaska that full timed in her Montana. I will not say it is fun, but certainly not terrible spending the night in below zero weather. As mentioned, drive with furnace on and tank heaters. That year when we left we dewinterized at 10 degrees in Grand Junction, Colorado. Not telling you that you should do it, just letting you know it isn’t an issue. We routinely camp in freezing weather. Have a safe trip. I would add one piece of advice. Use boxed DEF, not from the pumps at a truck stop. And if you have an older truck, make sure the DEF programming is up to date before you leave.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Kevin, We have done several trips just as you portrayed yours to be. Also done a few like rames14, less the DEF issues. The rig will be fine, or at least our always has. Just hook up and go and only be concerned about roads with ice and snow.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:00 AM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you are already winterized, just carry water in gallon jugs in the shower. Check the weather Channel for overnight temperatures along your route. Once you get to about 30⁰F night times temperatures you can de-winterize and not worry about the pipes/tanks freezing. Keep your tank heaters on at night. Turn them off while traveling (will drain batteries). Make sure you have shore power. Batteries will not run the furnace AND the tank heaters all night long. In fact unless you have a big battery bank the ones that come with your rig will not run your furnace continuously all night long (i.e., no boondocking).
While traveling winterized carry RV antifreeze to flush toilets. If you put water down the sinks, pour a little antifreeze in the trap.
I have never traveled with my furnace on even though the vents are not covered with the slides in. I do not know what the manufacturer recommends regarding this.
If you choose to do so I would recommend turning it off before pulling into a gas station.
You will be fine.
Be safe and have fun.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
We are trying to leave for a much warmer climate but our weather at home is not cooperating. Currently temps outside average -15F and drop at night to -25F.
I'm used to towing in cold temps but I'm concerned about what that might due to our fifth wheel. We have about 6 days of driving to get where we want to go and we will not be staying in our trailer until it's at least 50F outside. (currently fully winterized)
Any thoughts or advice on towing in such cold temps? Would I be damaging our trailer if I attempt it?
We pull a 2018 3790rd with an HDT (customized Volvo 730). Not worried about the truck, just the trailer.
First let me say, your Truck is awesome, at one time we had a Freightliner Sports chassis, with a Mercedes Diesel, with the Allison transmission. The best ride, ever, everything was on air ride and we towed a Chevy HHR behind the Mobile Suites, all over the lower 48 excluding the extreme West Coast. We also towed threw cold weather escaping to Florida. We kept it winterized until we arrived in Florida, towed thru 3+ inches of snow. No issues all all. Good Luck!

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:51 PM   #9
Maks
Established Member

M.O.C. #19245
Thanks for the feedback folks. I appreciate it. We left our home (Northern Canada) this morning. Heading to south Texas. Yes..... it's a long way but this will be our 5th time. Temps got up to 8F so the boss (Dear Wife) said "Let's bug outta here before the next cold snap comes". By the way......three days ago it was -43F at home.
Currently at a truck stop a couple hours north of the border. We'll be sleeping in our truck for 3 nights but not hardship (Volvo 730 with a big double bunk sleeper).
On the road!!!!

2009 Volvo 730 Custom RV Hauler & 2013 SmartCar
2017 Montana 3790rd
Maks is offline   Reply With Quote