Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Taking Dog to Canada

We are planning a trip into Canada next month and want to make sure we take what is required. I have read all the old post on this subject but want to make sure there are no recent changes. I have also read the official websites for both Canada and re-entry to US.(Boy can they be confusing) If I am interpreting everything correctly all I need are vacinaton certificates. Is this correct? Thanks, Jim

Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Read up on open dog food containers coming back from Canada. I am confused as to whether you can bring back open bags of dog food/treats, etc, but, am pretty sure if they are NOT in the original bag/container, you have NO chance. Or take just enough to get you in and out and run out the last meal, or be willing to toss a partial container/bag.

Keep the vaccination proofs IN the vehicle with YOU, just like your passports. Don't have them in the rig behind a slide. I would have them WITH the passports, ready to hand to the inspectors.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We were there in July. You need a current rabies certification from your vet. The form describes your dog, the rabies vaccine (manufacturers name and lot number) and the signature of your vet. Canada asked if we had it but didn't want to see it.

Dog food can be open, but must be in the original container. The USA side is the one who requires this. We were basically waived through coming back and no one checked.

Of course there are issues with fruit and vegetables but that is another subject.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Agree completely with the above answers, but . . .

Last year when we entered Ontario, our dog was clearly visible in the back seat of the pickup, but we were not asked for any of the papers. That does not mean that this is typical, and certainly not that you should not have all the required documentation. We were comfortable because we had all these documents and were familiar with the legal requirements. BTW, we had the exact same experience coming back into the US.

We crossed over from Port Huron to Sarnia and back at Niagara Falls into New York.

The requirements are reasonable and make good sense.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
We have traveled back and forth for years with our dog. While some border agents will ask if the dog has current shots I have only ever been asked once to produce the rabies documents. Up to date rabies shots are required crossing into Canada as they are crossing into the US. I carry my dogs documents with our passports in the truck.

I have never had a problem with dog food returning to Canada, but on two occasions when the dog food was not in it's original container I was required to dump it out into a container crossing into the US. We are not always asked about the dog food entering the US, but it happens often enough that I put the original bag into a plastic tub so it can be identified.

We travel to Arizona in the winter and I take sufficient dog food for the time we are going to be away. The brand is made in the US but if it is not in it's original bag they can/will require you to dump it out depending on which side of the bed the agent got up on that particular day. US citizens would face this issue returning should they purchase dog food manufactured in Canada that contains certain products.

Easy solution, just take extra along with you, leave it in it's original bag and you should have no problems.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Thank you all for your replies. You have confirmed what I have read and believed to be true but the Vet's office wanted $55 for the certificate of health. I just could not see where that was required. Thanks again, Jim
Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Just crossed back in to the states yesterday. All they did was ask where we were headed. The two dogs are in the back seat in their kennels in plain sight.

Going in to Canada they asked if the dogs were current on their rabie shots. We did have a signed document for each dog from our vet if needed.

I agree that both websites are confusing. We took minimal food with us to Canada and consumed most of what we bought.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If in doubt, board the dog on the US side...same for weapons.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
In 2010 we took our two dogs into Canada, we had all the official immunization paperwork. Didn't know about dog food in the original container.

Any way, the dogs had the rear bench in our then 2006 F-250 crew cab to themselves.

Going into Canada the inspector didn't even ask about our dogs. After a few perfunctory questions while looking at our passports we drove right in.

A week later when we left Canada, we got to the U.S. border crossing where again the agent looked at our passports, asked a couple questions, and we drove right through again. No questions about dogs whatsoever.

Again, this only our experience. Your mileage may vary.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #10
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
We've traveled US/Canada for years with a dog and have always traveled with her papers and have never been asked. Just came through Canada yesterday, in fact, Niagara Falls, NY -> Sarnia, CAN -> U.P., Michigan (where we are now) and neither border agent asked about our dog.

Happy Travels!
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We're Canadian. Our M.O. is like others': make sure the papers are up-to-date; carry them along with passports available to show to the agent; carry food in original bags. I would add, open the back window on the agent's side as you approach the kiosk so they can clearly see into the back seat.
In a couple of instances, the agent took an interest in the animals and asked friendly questions, then waved us through. We think that the agents use various conversational opportunities as a way to "profile" the travellers, gauging their truthfulness by their body language, eye movements and other indicators in response to ordinary conversation. The animals are a handy focus.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
We got back a couple of weeks ago from the trip that was my reason for the original post. The dog was kenneled in the back seat of the truck. Neither U.S or Canadian border crossing agents inquiried about the dog. Jim