Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC / Great Lakes Region
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2005, 02:20 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Another update....

Well, Saturdy has come and gone and it was another excellant day. Once again the weather, all though a tad warm and humid, was near perfect.
The plant tour was the hi-light of the day and, as usual, very informing. I would like to thank Jeff Rank and his "tour guides" for a great job.
We also had the MOC Web Site Seminar and Lessons session and a number of our MOC members are now a little more savy about computers and the MOC. A number of us were able to bring our own lap tops and were able to do some face to face real time training. Besides just learning a few tricks about logging on they also came away with a better knowledge on the use of hyper links, posting pictures and a few other tidbits.
The Saturday night bonfire was another huge success with probably a 95% turn out.

Today (Sunday) at 10 AM we will be treated to carlson's and potvin's "Omelet in a bag". Those MOCers attending their breakfast are in for a treat. Carlson first introduced this omelet making technique to some of us at the Northeast Rally this pass June. My mouth is watering all ready.
Later today we will be having the Show and Tell as well as the Yard and Craft Sale. There are a number of members that have already made a few sales and thus have lightened their GVW while the buyers have put on some weight.

BTW-something I failed to mention on yesterdays update..
Some of you that have looked thru the photos that ronsatn has posted came upon this unexplained photo...

You would think it is kind of self explanatory as to what happened but you'd be wrong. Usually this occurs when you are pulling out to head down the road and haven't performed a PULL TEST. WRONG! Actually he had just arrived and was unhooking when this occured. He had set NO wheel chocks in place, he set the front legs on blocks but never took the full weight of the 5th wheel off the hitch and proceeded to pull the TV out from under the pin box. With most of the 5er weight still on the TV and no chocks the trailer simply followed the TV until it finally sliped off the hitch. By this time the front legs had moved beyond the their blocks they were set on and the 5er set down on the TV's bed rails with a bang.
The driver learned 3 important lessons...
#1-- Always, always CHOCK the wheels
#2-- Always, always be sure the weight is off the TV.

BUT his 3rd and most important lesson was...

If you're gonna screw up unhooking your 5er DON'T DO IT IN SIGHT OF 3 DOZEN OTHER RVERS. Especially when those 3 dozen OTHER RVERS are also 5th Wheelers. This occured less than 20 feet away from the building in which we were having one of our seminars. Fortunately there was very little damage to the TV or the 5th wheel and even more fortunately for those not in attendance a number of us had our cameras in hand.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:02 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
If he had a "BedSaver" this would not have happened. Glen you are absoultly right about chocking the wheels first before unhooking. Great picture for teaching us what not to do. Thanks for sharing it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:44 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Glenn ... thank you so much for the highly informative updates of the Rally goings-on. You are providing those of us not in attendance with a wonderful glimpse of the fun! We saw Ronstan's picture of the Alumascape guy ... Steve was practically falling out of his chair laughing as I read your account of the guy's major OOOOPS! He was also whining when I read him the part about hot and humid weather ... it snowed here in Island Park, Idaho (near West Yellowstone) yesterday! It didn't accumulate, but we can see snow on the nearby mountains now.

Thanks again and our best to all those lucky people there in Bremen!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:59 AM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks so much for sharing the goings on at the rally, and the picture. That's what happens when you get too excited when unhooking or someone is following you around talking and distracting you. This has almost happened to us a time or two.
I love breakfasts. Wish I could have been there to enjoy the breakfast in a bag.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

That's what happens when you get too excited when unhooking or someone is following you around talking and distracting you.
Amen to that. Most of my worst mistakes have been when some well-meaning soul tried to help and I got out of my routine. Well, most of them anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote