Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2006, 03:03 AM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
RV site ownership.

We are looking at purchasing a piece of land someplace in Florida to set up our Montana for extended stays, or just a relaxing place to go to for a weekend without fighting traffic or squeezing into crowded campgrounds. We cannot start fulltiming right now, but our little guy spends weekends with his Mom and we need a place to get away. We are Floridians, all of our children and grandkids (10) are here. Anyone know about this?

Pete, Waltraud (Wally), Brian(Grandson) and Hannah (Big German Shepherd).
2005 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW FX4 Crew Cab 6.0 Turbo Diesel, w/tow boss package, dual batteries and alternators. Reese 16K fifth wheel and a 2005 Montana 2955RL.
IMG]http://i4.tinypic.com/1115lk2.jpg[/IMG

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:51 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Buying a site is becoming more and more the thing to do down here. In the past 3 years I have witnessed many an RV park and Mobil Home parks sell out to be replaced with condos. Those folks that were renting their sites for many many years were given notice that they had to move out. Some with as little as 30 days. Now picture some older couple with their older park models set up in what they thought was a permanent site where they could live out their lives only to be told they gotta get out in 30 days. If they were lucky, they were able to find a new site but not necessarily one they wanted to be in and it cost them a small fortune to get everything moved and set up again. It was either that or just walkaway with their personal belongings and let the new property owner have their home. More often than not most of these folks did just that knowing full well the new owners were going to turn their home into a pile of rubble.
Directly across from me is a couple that just last week made a deal on purchasing a site up in the Ocala/Silver Springs area. We also have a couple MOC members that purchased their site at Elite Resorts in Salt Springs. The name escapes me right now but if you would like I can get the name of the campground in the Ocala/Silver Springs area.
If and when we decide to stop gallivanting around the country we will also be looking to buy a site somewhere in that same area.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Thanks Glen and Lorraine, I would appreciate it. We don't want to give up our house yet, we're just looking for a weekend getaway. Thanks.

2005 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW FX4 Crew Cab 6.0 Turbo Diesel, w/tow boss package, dual batteries and alternators. Reese 16K fifth wheel and a 2005 Montana 2955RL.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Old GI

Thanks Glen and Lorraine, I would appreciate it. We don't want to give up our house yet, we're just looking for a weekend getaway. Thanks.
Pete the campgroung is called Wilderness RV Park Estates. According to my neighbor this park is under new ownership and they are in the process of doing some major upgrades.

When you get to the website take a look at the links on the lefthand side of the home page and scroll down to "Purchase RV Lots"

Good luck and let us know how it worked out.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Thanks Glen and Lorraine, I checked their web site, a lot of information, short on pictures. I think what I would really prefer is to buy a piece of property not necessarily in a RV park. We discussed the prospect of just traveling around the state for a year or two until we find a location we really like. There are a lot of rv parks that sell lots, but they look kind of crowded. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I too am in the market to buy a RV site.The place Glenn was talking about Elite springs is about the best bargain In the Florida area.Lots are selling in the low 20`s right now.Another one of our members bought a Rv site at the "great outdoor RV resort and golf course."Its located near the kennady space center.Very very nice resort.really top of the line.But the prices are quite a bit higher.the cheapest right now for a Rv site and I think it has a shed as well goes for $69000.And as high as 200 grand just for a cemet pad with a "Florida Room",plus monthly maintance fees of 150 bucks.

I have widen my search and I have found that California has some deals as well.cheaper then florida.i would have thought just the opposite but thats not the case.

One place I am inquiring in is "rancho ventana RV Resort"this place is in Blythe,calif.In the desert.A RV site thats backs up to a golf course can be bought for under 20 grand.But from what I am told the temperature their can get as high as 127 degrees in July and August.I like the warm weather but thats to darn warm.But If I do buy their I would make sure I am some place else for those HOT summer monthes.This would be my home base so to speak.

Florida is really my fisrt choice but prices are going threw the roof their and by the time I retire in 20 monthes it might be out of my price range.I did find a deal in Florida near the Tampa area,Its a gated 55 plus community.The guy selling his site is asking 40 grand.That includes a 50'X70' cemet pad with a golf cart.

If I had the 70 grand I would be jumping on that spot at "The great outdoor RV resort and golf course"This gated community not only has RV sites but million dollar homes as well.Its really top of the line.

New mexico and Texas are also places I am not ruling out.This will be my home so I have to make the right decision on where I want to live my "Golden Years"out.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
harleyrider
I'm sure you will get other replies on this but let me tell you my opinion of Blythe - desolate - out in the middle of NOWHERE - HOT, HOT, HOT - miserable. JMHO That is why the prices are so cheap. You wouldn't find those kind of prices in civilization.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
At our "home Base" (where the picture was taken), we have the cover, water, 50 amp electrical service, and a 500 gallon septic tank installed, all for a developmental cost of less than $10,000 excluding the land costs. Sure it is possible. If we didn't have the cover, but developed all the remainder, the costs would be halved.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:50 PM   #9
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

harleyrider
I'm sure you will get other replies on this but let me tell you my opinion of Blythe - desolate - out in the middle of NOWHERE - HOT, HOT, HOT - miserable. JMHO That is why the prices are so cheap. You wouldn't find those kind of prices in civilization.
Happy trails...........................
Sue & Ed

I figured as much on the heat factor.From their web site it looked just georgous.But you guys being from calif.know better then this Philly boy.Thanks for the info.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:44 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

Florida is really my fisrt choice but prices are going threw the roof their and by the time I retire in 20 monthes it might be out of my price range.I did find a deal in Florida near the Tampa area,Its a gated 55 plus community.The guy selling his site is asking 40 grand.That includes a 50'X70' cemet pad with a golf cart.

If I had the 70 grand I would be jumping on that spot at "The great outdoor RV resort and golf course"This gated community not only has RV sites but million dollar homes as well.Its really top of the line.
From one near Philly boy to another, if I were looking for a more permanent home Florida would absolutely be my choice. You are correct in the prices going through the roof but consider the fact that whatever you buy today will be worth considerably more in just a few years and even more should some developer decide he wants to build some high rise condos on you and your neighbor's land. I have seen some folks walk away with many times more $$$$$$ than what they paid just 10 years earlier.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

From one near Philly boy to another, if I were looking for a more permanent home Florida would absolutely be my choice. You are correct in the prices going through the roof but consider the fact that whatever you buy today will be worth considerably more in just a few years and even more should some developer decide he wants to build some high rise condos on you and your neighbor's land. I have seen some folks walk away with many times more $$$$$$ than what they paid just 10 years earlier.
Glenn

I hear you loud and clear.The member here that did buy a RV site at "the great outdoor RV resort and golf course said I believe he could have saved himself some big bucks if he had bought just 5 years ago.the prices have more then doubled in price from then til now.That site for 69000 will probaly be 169000 in few years.