Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #1
tycham
Established Member

M.O.C. #28660
New guy and install dish

I just picked up a 2005 3650RK and unpacked our new portable dish.

I have the dish plugged into the utility compartment labeled cable/satellite. Now I am looking for where that cable shows up in the living room cabinet. I have a wall plate on the left side of the TV that has two f connectors and they are looped together.

tycham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Remove the loop connection. Now connect SAT receiver to either lower or upper coax connector on wall.. 8m gonna guess and say try lower first

Leave other coax connector on wall with no coax attached

Connect SAT receiver to the TV set using HDMO cable from receiver to TV..
Go into settings or Input and change input to THAT HDMI connection..

When using the coax in the RV sometimes the SAT connection on the RV has a splitter in it and of so your Sat signal from dish to receiver won’t work because of splitter

On mine the OEM SAT port works fine
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Avoid the frustration and run a coax through a window temporarily. Install a sidewall coax in your slide when you get time. The factory satellite hookup in the convenience center is useless. Too many splitters and too much wire.

Mark
Old 05-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #4
tycham
Established Member

M.O.C. #28660
I am going to try the one that has the loop first. There is also a connector behind the TV, if that matters. I prefer to use the factory setup if it works as we will be selling it in a couple of years and I don't want to make a list the the previous owner did it.

I redo 73-78 GMC Class A and a good bit of time goes into redoing stuff that the PO did and left no documentation, etc
Old 05-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
....The factory satellite hookup in the convenience center is useless. Too many splitters and too much wire...
Mark
I disagree. The 2006 era models did not use the "sophisticated" (Keystone's definition) technology. It was a simple RG6 from the outside wall plug to the main TV location. No splitters, no diplexers, no pain & agony. The "Loop" connection next to the TV can be confusing at first. But it is really pretty simple.

Pre 2009/2010 Models

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
tycham
Established Member

M.O.C. #28660
Thanks everyone. All set, it was the bottom of the two F-connectors. The one in back of the TV is the FM radio antenna, like I listen to anything but XM
Old 05-02-2021, 05:52 AM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycham View Post
Thanks everyone. All set, it was the bottom of the two F-connectors. The one in back of the TV is the FM radio antenna, like I listen to anything but XM
Glad to hear you got the SAT setup working.. Looks like my "Best Guess" at using the lower coax wall connection on the loop was correct..

And I don't like running coax thru the window.. Mine has worked great now for 8 years using the OEM SAT port connection
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I disagree. The 2006 era models did not use the "sophisticated" (Keystone's definition) technology. It was a simple RG6 from the outside wall plug to the main TV location. No splitters, no diplexers, no pain & agony. The "Loop" connection next to the TV can be confusing at first. But it is really pretty simple.

Pre 2009/2010 Models

I missed the year model. Life was simple then. ;-)
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Glad to hear you got the SAT setup working.. Looks like my "Best Guess" at using the lower coax wall connection on the loop was correct..

And I don't like running coax thru the window.. Mine has worked great now for 8 years using the OEM
SAT port connection
I did suggest temporary LOL
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
............I have the dish plugged into the utility compartment labeled cable/satellite. Now I am looking for where that cable shows up in the living room cabinet. I have a wall plate on the left side of the TV that has two f connectors and they are looped together.
The only way I could get a portable satellite tv antenna to work on a 2004 Everest and a 2014 High Country was run the cable through a window then to the tv.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #11
bobforest
Established Member

M.O.C. #19496
Quote:
I just picked up a 2005 3650RK and unpacked our new portable dish.

I have the dish plugged into the utility compartment labeled cable/satellite. Now I am looking for where that cable shows up in the living room cabinet. I have a wall plate on the left side of the TV that has two f connectors and they are looped together.
I had the same issue with the dish. Turns out any satellite singnal does not like “t” or elbows. I ran a cable from out side the TV desk area and connected the inside cable directly to the dish box. I run the dish wire directly to the new outside cable connection. Works fine. Keep in mind that any trees or hills will block the signals. There is an app for finding the satellite so you can point in the right direction.
bobforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I made a thought the wall adapter so I could attach the cable directly to the Dish box with just one connector. Maybe someone makes one for our use. I works great. Look on Amazon and you might find one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #13
jackfalkenhagen
Established Member

M.O.C. #26627
Exactly what I did!! Works great!!!
jackfalkenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #14
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I made a thought the wall adapter so I could attach the cable directly to the Dish box with just one connector. Maybe someone makes one for our use. I works great. Look on Amazon and you might find one.
Lynwood
Do you have a link for that they wall please ...
Billyj571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #15
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Any one have a link for that thru the wall ???
Old 05-09-2021, 09:36 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is a simple RF external connector. https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-4...35681625&psc=1
They also make recessed ones suitable for the wall of a slideout.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:13 AM   #17
Billyj571
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Here is a simple RF external connector. https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-4...35681625&psc=1
They also make recessed ones suitable for the wall of a slideout.

I’ve seen those Thxs behind my tv is a small hole with the wires coming out going to tv a friend of mine has his back cut out exposing the back wall I was wondering if I could cut out that wall exposing the wall to the slider does this make sense ??? I’ll try and take some photos 5er is in storage
Old 05-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyj571 View Post
Any one have a link for that thru the wall ???

I made mine. It’s not something you can buy. Much too much work involved. I have O ring gaskets to keep the water out.
The ones Carl found look like they will do the job and cheap to.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #19
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I installed that picture a couple of years ago for my Dish. The wall behind my TV was sort of a false wall. There was about 6 inches (I think) between the inner and outer wall. So as to not damage any internal wiring or get electicuted! I took off the face plate on an electric outlet beside the TV compartment and could peek thru to see what was there. Then I bought a maybe 12 inch drill bit and drilled thru. I forget if I drilled from the outside or inside tho!!! lol Works great.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #20
tycham
Established Member

M.O.C. #28660
Here we are in Mexico watching Dish. I ended up having to bypass the splitter with straight through barrel.