Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
tycham
Established Member

M.O.C. #28660
Wiring to roof vents

We have a 2007 3650RK. I would look but it is in Mexico getting a full body paint job.

We just bought it and I am going through it and buying parts to take down for some repairs. The bathroom fan needs replacing. The vent in the kitchen needs replacing and I was wondering if it has power. And how about the vent in the front bedroom.

Has anyone installed solar panels and if so what is your wire routing?

Has anyone installed a dish on the roof and if so, what is your wire routing?

Any other upgrades that you have done?

tycham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
The only vent, that has a fan, is in the bathroom. If you wanted to put one with a fan in the kitchen, you might be able to tap into the light for power right next to it. Probably the same in the bedroom. I have a second A/C in the bedroom. I did install a roof mounted dish. The cable goes from the dish over the roof and down into the cabinet above the television. I just have the dish going to the tv in the living room. It could be hooked up the the bedroom. I have not installed solar.

The list goes on, of upgrades you can do.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
tycham
Established Member

M.O.C. #28660
Thanks. Did you penetrate the roof for the satellite cable?
Old 06-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On both of our rigs, the winegard traveler is wired thru the roof into the front cabinets.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #5
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Yes, the cable goes through the roof. There is a plate that goes over the cable and the hole. There is a plate that covers the hole, with openings for the cable, I just put Dicor over the hole around the cable it to seal it up. Put the plate on and sealed around the edge and the screws.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
As for the bathroom vent/fan, I just replaced mine. Be careful tho. There are a couple of different models. I bought a vent cover and went to install and it didn't match the apparatus that opens and closes it. I finally looked inside the vent body and there was the model number. The actual repacing the fan isn't bad, but my whole plastic vent is getting yellow and probably brittle. You may want to buy the whole set up (except the part attached to the roof itself). I think it may be $70-80 for everything, but may be way off. jThe vent cover was $20-30.
EDIT: Also, I think the Montana/Mountaineers have a fantastic fan or similar in the kitchen, so they would have wiring already. My old 2006 Monty had one.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
tycham
Established Member

M.O.C. #28660
I have a fantastic in the living room. I think I wil have my guy in Mexico pull off the the kitchen vent and check for wire and the bathroom vent to check for model