Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #1
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
Many Toys to transport

We have a 2019 3931fb AND 2/ 85 lb kayaks along with 2 65lb e-bikes. Anyone have any ideas how to transport these? What is the weight load of the rear hitch? We are thinking of trading in for a toy hauler. Does anyone have any experience, ideas, comments about toy haulers? Which ones are the best?

hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
We have a MHC 381TH (now I think it is a 383TH) and love it. We take a golf cart with us when we travel. We like the floor, to us it seems more like a traditional camper. The one issue is when the golf cart is loaded, you cannot use the bed in the bedroom. When on the road we take "naps" the first day and get a campsite the 2nd night. We unload the golf cart and spend 2 nights most of the time. This works for us.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The rear hitch says it has a 300 Lbs capacity. Just based on casually observing threads on the subject for the past two years - I don't think the rear hitch is used very much by Montana owners...but do a search and you will find lots of threads with ideas.

Some folks here have added a more substantial hitch welded to the rear framing to carry things. Anything off the rear will really get a rough ride.

If I was in your shoes I would looks at a more substantial hitch/carrier off the rear welded to the frame to carry the Kayaks, and I would get a good hitch or a Ranch Hand front bumper guard with hitch to carry the bikes in front of the truck.

I don't know much about toy haulers, but I have admired Grand Design Momentum Toy Haulers from a casual distance. Never been inside one...don't know anybody that owns one...my eye spots them on the highway and in campgrounds.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Put the kayaks on a rooftop carrier and the bikes on the front of the truck. Maybe incorporate the two so you can move the boats forward.

Mark
Old 06-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I bought a US Rack Fifth Wheel Kayak rack. It will hold 200 lbs. There are other threads about e-bike carriers to get some ideas. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
I have a bike rack for my 2 ebikes from amazon, it's a Leader Accessories 2-Bike Platform Style Hitch Mount Bike Rack. It doesn't call out that it's ok for fifth wheels, but I was willing to risk it and it behaved admirably. I put one bike on it and it worked fine from OH to SC (the other bike went in the basement storage this time, but next time will put it on the rack).

We have two foldable kayaks from Tucktec that ride folded up the size of a small tent in the truck bed in front of the hitch. Not to suggest replacing your RV, but I'd imagine two kayaks would be less of an endeavor.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Your 2 e-bikes and your 2 kayaks total 300 pounds. Any toy hauler should be able to carry 300 pounds in the garage area. The bigger problem is the length of the kayaks and the length of the garage. If you want to comfortable transport the kayaks in the garage, then you need to start with models that will accommodate their length and work from that point. Toy Haulers can be relatively inexpensive and truly nothing more than a cargo trailer with a bed in it, to 200 thousand dollar mansions! The back door can be just a ramp, or some can be made into patios, complete with rails and awning.

When selecting a trailer, Toy Hauler or a travel trailer, you need to identify your required logistics first. Then start your search.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdrd View Post
We have a 2019 3931fb AND 2/ 85 lb kayaks along with 2 65lb e-bikes. Anyone have any ideas how to transport these? What is the weight load of the rear hitch? We are thinking of trading in for a toy hauler. Does anyone have any experience, ideas, comments about toy haulers? Which ones are the best?
My 2018 3811MS has a 1.5" hitch. Good for 150 lbs. That is the reason we sold our e-bikes at a huge loss in order to buy foldable e-bikes whenever somebody has inventory again. If it's a 2" receiver it might be good for 500 lbs but make sure you get the attachments to stop the rack and bikes bouncing around on the end of that trailer. The dynamic loads could easily exceed the 500 lb limit.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #9
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I'd be very careful about how much weight I put on the OEM receiver at the back of the Monty. Mine came with a 1.25" x 1.25" receiver. Pretty useless for a bike rack that requires 2" x 2". I removed the OEM receiver and only then was I able to see a sticker that limited load to 150 lbs. I don't know if that is static weight or dynamic weight but I suspect that is static weight. Bouncing down the road, the dynamic weight of anything in the receiver will be greater. I had a metal fab shop make a new 2" x 2" receiver but the limiting factor was the "C" brackets that connected the receiver to the RV I-beams. For that reason, I still observe the 150 lb limit.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #10
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Put the kayaks on a rooftop carrier and the bikes on the front of the truck. Maybe incorporate the two so you can move the boats forward.

Mark
I agree completely. We carry a tandum kayak on the root and a front hitch bike rack works great and you can see your bikes as you are traveling just in case something comes loose going down the road with the bike hanging off the back of the camper. Then you only see it in the rearview mirror as it bounces down the road behind you.
tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear hitch, toy cargo, toy haulers