Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
New Montana Purchase and it was a very good experiance

Well, Bonnie and I spent Monday through Thursday in Colbert, Okla purchasing a new 2020 Montana 3813MS. It has legacy package and full body paint and we love it. I have owned Montana and Grand Design both and the Grand Design is a good camper but I am back to Montana. I just have to say that we have never been treated better than we were at treated at RV Station in Colbert,Ok. They have their own rv park behind their shop and they insist you stay with them and make sure you are pleased with your rv and everything is working just the way it should before you leave. We did our PDI which took a couple of hours and Eugene took all the time needed explaining details and no hurry at all. Wednesday morning we were ready to go, so hooked up and pulled out to discover no trailer brakes. So back we went. Eugene spent all day trying to figure out why my 2018 chevy would not apply trailer brakes. Well the truck brake system would not work with eoh brake system on the montana. They had to end up mounting 4 old style drum magnets in the camper and wire the senser wire through the magnets before it would work and it now works perfect. They tried the module that is suppose to work but it did not work. All this and no charge to me and even paid for the magnets. I can not say enough about their service. RV Station went above and beyond especially now days the way RV sales are.
Richard Warner

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Congrats on your new rig...maybe a little rough start but smooth sailing ahead.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #3
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
Well, Bonnie and I spent Monday through Thursday in Colbert, Okla purchasing a new 2020 Montana 3813MS. It has legacy package and full body paint and we love it. I have owned Montana and Grand Design both and the Grand Design is a good camper but I am back to Montana. I just have to say that we have never been treated better than we were at treated at RV Station in Colbert,Ok. They have their own rv park behind their shop and they insist you stay with them and make sure you are pleased with your rv and everything is working just the way it should before you leave. We did our PDI which took a couple of hours and Eugene took all the time needed explaining details and no hurry at all. Wednesday morning we were ready to go, so hooked up and pulled out to discover no trailer brakes. So back we went. Eugene spent all day trying to figure out why my 2018 chevy would not apply trailer brakes. Well the truck brake system would not work with eoh brake system on the montana. They had to end up mounting 4 old style drum magnets in the camper and wire the senser wire through the magnets before it would work and it now works perfect. They tried the module that is suppose to work but it did not work. All this and no charge to me and even paid for the magnets. I can not say enough about their service. RV Station went above and beyond especially now days the way RV sales are.
Richard Warner

We have that exact model on order. Came off the line March 18th but hasn’t been shipped yet. Love to hear what you think of it so far. We also got the legacy package, full body paint, the smaller solar and a generator. Oh and went with the cottage white kitchen. Love to see pics of how you organized as well. Happy camping.
Lakelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
We like it a lot so far and we spent a couple of months comparing the 3813 and the 3781 which is a very good floor plan also. I actually liked the 3781 better, but! We got the darker furniture and trim with lighter gray woodwork. Looks awesome. Well spend a week or more just adding those special touches that actually makes a home away form home out of it. Your gonna love the separate closet space.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #5
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
We liked the 3781 as well but the bathroom and closet space were too good to pass up in the 3813. We are going full time soon so the extra living space really spoke to the misses.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
You will notice there is a skylight in the closet area between the bed and the bathroom, I have yet to figure out why they put it there, but anyway in the early morning, light and I mean a lot of light shines through it right in your face. Bonnie made a piece of material three layers thick with foil on the side facing out to turn the heat and heat will come through. Attached it with Velcro so it can be taken off if needed seems to work well. This is one thing I just wanted to share.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #7
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
You will notice there is a skylight in the closet area between the bed and the bathroom, I have yet to figure out why they put it there, but anyway in the early morning, light and I mean a lot of light shines through it right in your face. Bonnie made a piece of material three layers thick with foil on the side facing out to turn the heat and heat will come through. Attached it with Velcro so it can be taken off if needed seems to work well. This is one thing I just wanted to share.
Already cooking up ways to cover it at night. Lol. Do you notice light coming in thru the bathroom skylight above the shower?
Old 04-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
Yes but not as bad as the one close to the bedroom. You can close the door and block bathroom light out. One thing to watch out for is the stepdown coming from the bedroom into the bathroom. When you get out bed to hit the room in the middle of the night that stepdown will get you. Take my word for it's in a dangerous spot.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #9
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
We took delivery of our 3813 in Dec 2019 and stored it indoors since then. It comes out next week. We've downsized our possessions and will be moving into the rig over the next few weeks. Ours has every option except king bed and generator. The cobalt FBP is awesome. Pete's RV in Indiana was very helpful except for some paperwork glitches being as we were out of state but the PDI went smoothly and was very thorough. All minor nits that were corrected quickly.

We are going to modify the front closet into crafting/hobby space. We got the 3813 because although we loved the 3811 plan we just did not want the window at the front, 3813 addressed that for us but now we have to mod the closet which looks fairly easy to do. We don't need that much closet space.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #10
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
...One thing to watch out for is the stepdown coming from the bedroom into the bathroom. When you get out bed to hit the room in the middle of the night that stepdown will get you. Take my word for it's in a dangerous spot.
Kinda agree, but the after the first time i did it... all it takes is some adaptation to what you used to take for granted... no issues since then. Be situationally aware, you'll be fine. Of course it was my own dadgum fault, shoulda had my glasses on... lesson learned.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #11
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I have the same paint it really looks awesome especially hook to my ocean blue truck. We just got lucky and found one on a lot at RV Station in Colbert Ok that they wanted to move and made a deal on it. All this CV Virus you can find deals on RV right now.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:24 PM   #12
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
We have the very same one! 3813 Legacy with the Cobalt paint. Lots to love for us, disk brakes, In Command, and a really nice full time floor plan. Now what best for me is the shower, it's ceiling is 6" higher than the other Montana's because it's one step down. At 6'3" tall that is really nice! Also have to say that with all of the closets and drawers Jeannette is happy with the front closet and under TV drawers leaving me 4 feet of closet space and the 4 drawers in the hall under them and the 2 drawers under the washer and dryer! I am going to have to buy some more clothes!

2 things that I had come up, there is a stud directly behind the dryer vent and the paint on one of the basement doors is pealing a bit which they are going to repaint locally.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #13
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Photo of it here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1313.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	6035  
Old 04-17-2020, 02:45 AM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations and we hope you have many happy times in it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:04 AM   #15
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I have had a couple small issues and my paint is pealing at the corner of hot water heater. I have noticed cold air coming in from the vent under the hall step. Wonder whats up with that? Anyone know what the vent for?
Old 04-18-2020, 07:12 AM   #16
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
question: you had them take the disc brakes off? wow, in my opinion that is the one big reason to buy a legacy package. There should have been no reason why the disc brakes and your truck should have worked together.
I hope they discounted the price.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #17
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
NO, they did not take the disc brakes off they had to use the magnets to create resistance so the truck brake would recognize being hooked up to a trailer.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #18
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
question: you had them take the disc brakes off? wow, in my opinion that is the one big reason to buy a legacy package. There should have been no reason why the disc brakes and your truck should have worked together.
I hope they discounted the price.
They didn’t remove the disc brakes. They just wired in magnets from a drum brake system to “fool” the truck’s computer into working with the disc brake system.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #19
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
We have the 2017 model 3810. Basically same plan as the 3812/13 other than the window. We WOULD greatly miss the window. We really enjoy it. We like being able to see what's "coming" at us. Regarding the issue of the skylight close to the bed, we got the ready made aluminum cover that normally fits the window in the front door. It was an exact fit. Used the velcro supplied to mount it. Works great. Caution; the closet door just BARELY clears it, one has to hold it up slightly for it to clear. On the step down into the bathroom at night, we put an LED nightlight in the plug by the sink so it lights up the room very slightly, so it isn't completely dark. If we are boondocking for a bit, I have a small LED lantern that I turn on low and set on the sink. Still gives plenty of light. One thing we DID do with our 3810, after seeing the window that was now installed behind the stove, we had the dealer get one for ours and had it installed. Only cost $600.00 complete and what a difference it made. Other than that, everything else is working great on our 3810.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #20
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
That is great to hear! I am going to buy one of those main door window covers for my skylight, great idea. Where did you buy yours?

Glad you had the window put in because we like ours a lot. When they put my dryer vent in they cut an aluminum stud and I imagine that the cut one out for your window install. I’m not concerned but it made some people nervous. Good luck.