Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Shower not draining all of a sudden

Hello folks,
My 2018 3739 FL has been good so far - until last night. Took a shower before bed and all of a sudden the shower drain stopped up. This is a new unit only less than a month old. I did notice the expanding foam insulation around the shower downspout that connects to the main drain has shifted down - appears to have pulled away from where it had been applied on the underbelly. Vent may be clogged or may just need a good plunging and some Draino? Seems strange to all of a sudden have this issue after using the shower daily - ideas?

MaxwellD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Just asking but is the gray tank full? I'm sure you already checked that. the next thing to
do is snake the drain you may have a plugged trap don't see to many plugged vents the vent use ale only causes slow draining does the sink fill up to?

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Be VERY careful with a snake, you may have the hepa thing in place of the standard p-trap, you could destroy that hepa thing.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
grumpylane
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20516
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
Be VERY careful with a snake, you may have the hepa thing in place of the standard p-trap, you could destroy that hepa thing.
Hepa thing? could you elaborate or even a link. thanks in advance

2017 F350SD/4x4/DRW
Montana 356TBF
Cory
grumpylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You have a HepVo valve instead of a P trap. A search on HepVo will provide lots of info. Here is one that jumped out at me
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70434

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
The Hepa valve is a one valve you put in instead of a pee trap not stock on most rigs.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
The Hepa valve is a one valve you put in instead of a pee trap not stock on most rigs.
HepVo valves are definitely stock on Montanas and have been for years, Perhaps not on HCs (I haven't looked at those).

Old 11-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Thanks everyone - the other sinks all fill and drain fine. The grey tank is wide open. The black tank is closed. Plunger may have helped a little - whatever it is it clogged the drain pretty good. I dont think Copenhagen would do that. Letting a little Drano work on it for a few min. We’ll see. I can see a P trap from the belly so if a Hepa thing is supposed to replace that, then I dont think I have one of those.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Do I read you right, You put chewing tobacco down the shower drain ?. And no I would not use draino on anything in my RV or house for that matter.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #10
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Shower stopped draining - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellD View Post
Thanks everyone - the other sinks all fill and drain fine. The grey tank is wide open. The black tank is closed. Plunger may have helped a little - whatever it is it clogged the drain pretty good. I dont think Copenhagen would do that. Letting a little Drano work on it for a few min. We’ll see. I can see a P trap from the belly so if a Hepa thing is supposed to replace that, then I dont think I have one of those.
Well, I have been wrong before (once). I can see the membrane just below the shower strainer so I have a Hepa. Plunging did not help after all. Neither did Drano. I began bailing out the water with a Dixie cup but didn’t seem to be getting anywhere so I went to a trash can to bail with. Sure enough, water is coming in from the drain. Both grey tanks are open - nothing comes out the sewer line but flows back into shower. Now I wonder if the tank valves are operating - they were a two weeks ago! It is like the grey tanks are chocked full but wont empty. Ideas?
Old 11-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #11
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
[QUOTE=MaxwellD;1078587]Well, I have been wrong before (once). I can see the membrane just below the shower strainer so I have a Hepa. Plunging did not help after all. Neither did Drano. I began bailing out the water with a Dixie cup but didn’t seem to be getting anywhere so I went to a trash can to bail with. Sure enough, water is coming in from the drain. Both grey tanks are open - nothing comes out the sewer line but flows back into shower. Now I wonder if the tank valves are operating - they were a two weeks ago! It is like the grey tanks are chocked full but wont empty. Ideas?[/QUOTE

Is your bathroom sink draining?
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The shower drain is the low point of the circuit. The sink and washer are all higher so water into them, when the tank is full, will go down. It just raises the level in the shower.

I think you have a full tank. You can bail the shower and then run some water in the sink and see if it goes back up. Otherwise close all the other drains connected to the sewer hose, undo the sewer hose and try running a snake or something up into the tank to see how far it goes. Maybe then you can gauge the open/close status. I don't know if this is practical or not.

If it were me, I would drop the back 3 feet of the coroplast in the dropped frame section and look at the valve. Not too tough to do and likely quicker than snaking the line.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Only one other thing to ask first. Did you follow others advice and add a twist on gate valve to the end of your sewer connection? I've gotten to a campground and forgot to open that before.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
[QUOTE=Razrbk;1078592]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellD View Post
Well, I have been wrong before (once). I can see the membrane just below the shower strainer so I have a Hepa. Plunging did not help after all. Neither did Drano. I began bailing out the water with a Dixie cup but didn’t seem to be getting anywhere so I went to a trash can to bail with. Sure enough, water is coming in from the drain. Both grey tanks are open - nothing comes out the sewer line but flows back into shower. Now I wonder if the tank valves are operating - they were a two weeks ago! It is like the grey tanks are chocked full but wont empty. Ideas?[/QUOTE

Is your bathroom sink draining?
Yes, but it comes directly back up into the shower pan -
Thanks,
Max
Old 11-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #15
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Only one other thing to ask first. Did you follow others advice and add a twist on gate valve to the end of your sewer connection? I've gotten to a campground and forgot to open that before.
Not sure I understand - are you saying to twist the gate valve handle when you open or shut it? I never knew that.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #16
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Do I read you right, You put chewing tobacco down the shower drain ?. And no I would not use draino on anything in my RV or house for that matter.
Well Copenhagen is not really chewing tobacco. I am not a big fan of Drano either but desperate times can call for desperate measures.
Thanks,
Max
Old 11-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #17
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I just looked up the floor plan for a 3730fl. The bath is towards the rear. Is there a dump valve that you are missing ? (not pulling) towards the rear around the wheels somewhere. I am guessing the tank is full.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #18
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Hay Carl not to start anything but I find it funny that all Montana's come with Hepov valves I have a friend that just picked up his 2018 3160RL and it has regular pee traps under the sinks so I don't know I put Hepov valves in my 352RL HC and in my last two
5er's .

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 4x4 6.7L
Old 11-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #19
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
[QUOTE=MaxwellD;1078599]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk View Post

Yes, but it comes directly back up into the shower pan -
Thanks,
Max
Then x2 on Carl's advice, unless there's an unopened valve....

Or, you can take it back and have it addressed under warranty.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #20
MaxwellD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20704
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I just looked up the floor plan for a 3730fl. The bath is towards the rear. Is there a dump valve that you are missing ? (not pulling) towards the rear around the wheels somewhere. I am guessing the tank is full.
Yes sir there is. I have one up towards the nose, and one behind the wheels in a box along with the black tank valve. Both grey valves are pulled open. I agree at this point, there must be a broken valve and the gate is not opening so the tank must be full. One valve (the rear one) feels like it is actuating (has a little drag on it). The one up front feels like it may not be opening a valve. Good thing is, Keystone has authorized a mobile tech to come and diagnose and repair. Maybe have it fixed tomorrow.