Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2007, 05:34 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
12 volt wiring for slides and legs

I am having a problem with the slides pausing while moving in or out on my 329RL Mountaineer. I thought it was due to oil level but that didn’t solve it. I have read most of the posts on the problem. I have a 50 amp breaker which I plan to replace. While looking into this problem I looked at the wiring from the battery to these breakers and pump motor. It is all exposed which would make it easy to short out. I don’t see how this type of wiring could pass any electrical inspection?

I looked at the same wiring in my son-in-law’s Cardinal and it is protected by heavy rubber, covering the pump motor wiring and the circuit breakers. May not be perfect but better then what I have, nothing, which I plan to do something about. He also has a switch (would assume emergency switch) in the camper to break the plus side of his battery wiring before it goes to any circuits. Since I am plugging Cardinal I will also say that his monitor/control panel is really nice vice that little plastic thing I have. Maybe I don’t understand which Keystone unit compares to it, I thought it was the Montana?

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hello Cyrus,
The breaker, or fuse should not be increased in size, that safety device is designed to protect the motor. If the slide, or slides are pausing, you may have an adjustment issue. Unless the insulation is rubbed off, I wouldn't worry about the exposed wiring. The engineers who designed your slide system did not put out a defective or dangerous product, it may not look good to you and I when we see it, but it should be safe for you. You can get some split wire loom plastic at an auto supply store to cover the wires if you wish.
I don't know on your model, but my 3400RL has the battery disconnect switch in my hook up compartment.
Some things on other brands have merit, but the Montana is a pretty nice trailer.
Good luck on your slide problems.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
If it is starting and then stopping and starting again your reset circuit breaker is working properly. One said you had 1 50 amp circuit breaker, you should have 2 of them. If not add another one in line and that should stop your problem, unless you are having a short due to exposed wires you mentioned, but if that were they case more than likely you would have fried the circuit breaker by now.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Lets try it this way - do the slides work well when you are on shore power? If they work well while the power supply is operating on an AC voltage your problem is a weak battery or corroded contacts.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote