Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Our steps on our new 3485SA

When we did the PDI I noticed the lower step was high. I mentioned it to the person who was with us and he measure it from their garage floor. 14 inches.
While here at PineHill, we had to put boards down to level our unit. That made the step higher. Chuck put another wooden step to help get in and out.
Friday night there was a terrible storm and the steps got wet. Saturday morning when we went to walk the dogs, I slipped off the bottom (not the wooden) and fell. We are now leaving early so I can go to my own Dr.
Our bottom step on the unit also tips back at a slant. With the rain and everything getting soaked, I think the rug on that step got soaked and that's why I slipped.

Check those steps. Mark Krol from Keystone had already taken a picture. At least there is documentation about the steps when we go to our dealers and ask for new ones.

Needless to say, we are sorry we have to leave this great rally early.

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Carol--we were so sorry about your fall and the fact that you had to leave the Rally early. Hope the doctor's report is favorable. And hope you got home before the remnants of that tropical storm brought in the rain this afternoon.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Carol, sure hope everything is ok. Yes those steps seem to be very slippery. I did not notice this on our 05 2955RL but on the new 3585SA I have slipped a few times on the steps. Please let us know how you are doing. Take Care Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:00 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Hated to hear about your fall and were very sorry you had to leave the rally early. If it's any consolation when you left the weather was fine. For those of us that are pulling out today the weather is not co-operating. Right now I am on the MOC waiting for the rain to stop so I can get the outside work done.

As far as the steps, get yourself the carpet pads and install them on the steps. They will make a world of difference at least they did on our old 2955 and our new 3485. I might agree that Montana should add the 4th step but there are times when having to put blockage under the leftside tires only that fourth step could be too low creating a greater problem. My solution was to build a step to use when needed and store when not but even that step has to be wide and deep enough for stability and carpeted as well. Wet wood is just as slippery as steel steps.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We do have the steps carpeted. The last step, like I said before, slants just a tiny bit and I think water got in there and hadn't dried completely making it slippery. Wasn't the wooden step that I slipped on. That's the one I hit my back on .

Just plain clutsy I guess.

Gloomy here in NY too. We rain into rain coming home yesterday. Chuck can't mow the lawn today ----- so maybe he will work on my door??????

Carol
Old 06-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Just got home from the dealer's. Keystone makes two style steps. The apparently put the wrong steps on our unit.
When the service dept measured from ground to bottom step, they got 14 inches.
I knew something was off (besides me ) from day one. That will be fix June 27th along with the toilet and couch drawer.

Carol

Measure your steps folks. Only suppose to be 8 inches off the ground.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Carol,

I commented on the increased "rise" of the new steps while at the factory last fall. A few folks looked at me like I was crazy, but being 6' 1" tall, the new stairs are a stretch, even for me.

I hope you were not badly hurt and are recovering quickly.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Carol, thanks again for the comments on the 3485. We are sure sorry about your fall. Hopefully, you get a good report by the time you get home to see your Dr.. I know how you feel, I sprained my ankle badly two weeks ago, and ended up hanging out in the rv while my wife and daughter visited the Alamo and the Riverwalk in San Antonio. But after spending an extra several days waiting to heal, we are on our way again. Hopefully, that will be the case for you. We wish you the very best.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Sore leg muscles hurt like heck. But, they are getting better. In fact, we leave for PA again next week. Will be very careful getting out of the unit.
Just wish the "men" in our dealers garage had listened to me about the steps and check with Keystone. We could have had the steps replaced in February.
Now it's June 27th.

Carol