Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Where to Jack

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but here it goes again. Was getting ready to change low tire on trailer and realized my spring plate was on top of axles instead of bottom. Only have the two U-bolts that go around axle to jack on. Even if I put a 2x4 under U-bolts this seems like to much pressure on axle. My Montana manual says to put jack on frame next to spring hanger and jack up.I'll have to raise the whole side od the trailer to get rig off of the ground. Some say not to use frame but since my spring plate is on top the axle there doesn't seem to be any other option but to use the frame. I'm disconnected from the trailer now so I guess I'll have to hook uo for safety and stability. Any help would be appreciated.

bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi bigred715, I put the jack w/2x4 under where those 'u'-bolts are...this should lift that one axle enough for tire to clear ground, other tire remains in contact with ground during the whole process. I also put a jack-stand under axle as safety feature if I'm working under there cause only one failure is all it takes to not be here tomorrow!
Thanks,
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I agree with Chuck. I have always placed my jack under the area on the axle where the u-bolts are, on every trailer I have ever owned. As far as I know I have never bent an axle.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I agree with other two posters. In fact I asked that very same question of the Keystone Rep when we were in Goshen. They recommended a bottle jack under the axle. But then I was asking about the 2006 3400RL which probably has different axles than yours.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I agree with the others...that's the way I've done it on previous trailers. Having said that, Dexter's manual says "not to lift or support the trailer on any part of the axle or suspension system." Keystone's worthless manual says "position the jack on the frame close to the spring hanger."

Hope I don't need to change a tire, but if I do, think I'll call GS road service and see how they do it!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Just an FYI, I have tried raising a previous trailer near the spring hanger and saw the Fleetwood fabricated "I" beam compress a bit before halting that method. Keep in mind if lifting at the frame your gonna need alot of jack throw to over-come unloading of the spring before it begins lifting the tire. This method will also take on the load of more than just that one tire but begin to lift the adjacent tire as well. That is way more weight than should be pin pointed to the frame. If you lift at the axle your putting the load at the point it is already focused on and you will have lift applied to just one tire leaving the rest of the load on the other three.
Chuck
Old 01-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
assuming you have a tandem axle unit, pull the good tire up on a 4 inch block- this takes weight off the flat and you can jack up the axle to remove the flat and install the spare- remember to block a wheel on the off side to prevent the unit from moving- good luck- don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
The spindle that supports the wheel and tire is in the axle at the same point the two u-bolts wrap around the axle. This is the perfect place to raise the tire.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandJudy_12

assuming you have a tandem axle unit, pull the good tire up on a 4 inch block- this takes weight off the flat and you can jack up the axle to remove the flat and install the spare- remember to block a wheel on the off side to prevent the unit from moving- good luck- don
This system works really well except when you have individual suspension on the wheels. Individual suspension allows about 4" movement.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I had to replace a valve stem and took the rig to a service center that specializes in heavy trucks (it was the only place I could find). I had to stop the mechanic from lifting the rig when I saw where he had put the jack. He had put it on the axle. when I stopped him he noted that the axle should hold the rig with no problem. I didn't buy that and made him put under the spring shackles. That may not be the best place to do it but I think everything worked out alright. The point is, don't believe the service person knows what to do with a 5th wheel just because he works on other heavy stuff.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I had to replace a valve stem and took the rig to a service center that specializes in heavy trucks (it was the only place I could find). I had to stop the mechanic from lifting the rig when I saw where he had put the jack. He had put it on the axle. when I stopped him he noted that the axle should hold the rig with no problem. I didn't buy that and made him put under the spring shackles. That may not be the best place to do it but I think everything worked out alright. The point is, don't believe the service person knows what to do with a 5th wheel just because he works on other heavy stuff.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I use the frame by the spring shackle. I do make sure I center the I beam. I agree with you, hook up so the hitch takes the pivot for the front of the trailer. Do not jack up a side with the front landing legs down.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Once again guys, I specifically asked about jacking the 3400 to the Keystone service rep at the factory and the answer was a "bottle jack between the U-Bolts on the specific axle."
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:53 AM   #14
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
The above procedures are when the trailer is hooked up to the TV.
What is the procedure if the trailer is not hooked up to the TV?

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:18 AM   #15
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Chip,

The procedure is the same as if you were hooked to the tv. You are not going to lift the tire high enough to do any damage to the landing gear or frame rails, as long as the jack is placed between the u-bolts on the axle.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:26 AM   #16
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
That all sounds good but I like to put the bottle jack under the U-bolt closest to the wheel I'll be raising. That U-bolt supports more surface on that axle than just the head on the jack, better wet use wood or a piece of plate steel to pick both U-bolts IMO?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:16 AM   #17
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
As someone mentioned above, why not just drive the the good tire up about 4-5" on a piece of wood? That would raise the flat off the ground, wouldn't it? If the trailer is not hooked up yet, couldn't you hook it up to move it a foot or so?

I've been very fortunate not to have a flat yet. I just figured this is how I would do it, if necessary.

Curious now.
bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #18
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
So, my unit stays at the Lake all the time, and it settled more on the right side than the left. I need to jack up that side enough slip another 1" or 2" (1/2 a bubbles worth) piece of wood under the tires.
It will not be on the TV. I place the bottle Jack (mine is a 6 ton) under the spring shackles that attach to the axle, correct? Will do 1 wheel at a time?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #19
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Sounds like a plan...if bottle jack has small contact surface would be best to put a piece of 2x4 to spread the pressure on the Axle tube as close to those "U" bolt center as possible. I use one of those Sears pump jacks (has wheels rated for 3 tons) and it has a wide cupped end so in this case I do not use 2x4. Yes, one tire at a time is how I work around my trailer when doing yearly Maintenance. I place a jack stand more inward as "life safety" device should jack seal fail when jacked up and tire is off...better to bend axle then to not be alive. Be safe...
Old 06-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, I've seen suggestions of driving one wheel up on a ramp to raise the other wheel off the ground. A year or so ago in Utah I did just that. What I saw scared the heck out of me. I run tires at the max psi on our Montana. Yet the tire I ran up on the ramp had so much weight on it that it looked almost entirely flat. My thought was that if there's enough weight on that wheel to do that to the tire then that has to be way too much weight on that one axle. So I don't do that any more. There were three other MOC couples standing there when I was doing that. Adelmoll, jrgwdenner, and Roman IV. So they may remember this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote