Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Tire wear question

I figure we have about 10,000 miles on our 5er tires. Of the four, 2 are looking like they need to be replaced shortly (Lincoln's head is showing), and 1 looks pretty good.

My questions: How many miles should we expect on a set of tires (Mission, in my case), and if I replace 1, should I replace all 4?

Thanks, because I would rather spend a little money now, rather than have a possible blow-out and damage to our 5er.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Michael,
I have over 18,000 miles on mine and they have at least 70% tread life left. Have you weighed your coach lately? Something sounds wrong, possibly an axle out of alignment?? I am one of those people that wants the same brand with the same wear on all of the tires. If it were me, I would have the axles checked and weigh the coach. If all checks out ok, I would then replace all 4 tires on the coach. Again, just what I would do...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Wait a minute. You have a 2006 and you have worn out 2 tires?? Something does not sound right. Are the 2 with Lincoln's head showing worn evenly across the thread?? Or are they worn just on the sides or down the center?? You say one tire "looks pretty good", what about the 4th tire and the spare?

BTW- it is not a requirement that you replace all 4 tires and yes you could replace just one. However, if you still have a new spare you could put it down with the one that "looks pretty good" and just replace the 2 with Lincoln's head showing. BUT before you do that I would like to get answers to the above questions so I or Lonnie can better help you.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
snfexpress,
I agree with Glenn and Montana Sky, something is amiss, and Glenn's questions need answered before yours can be. As far as the mileage you should expect to see.......depends on what conditions they will be running under. Normal highway towing, correct air pressure determined by WEIGHT of loaded trailer, and correct axle alignement, you should get anywhere from 35 to 45 thousand miles, maybe more. Rotating your tires every 6 to 8 thousand miles will also increase the life and help all four wear evenly. If ANY of the above conditions are not met, tire life will be greatly reduced.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
snfexpress,
I agree there are more question before an answer. Is the wear even or to one side. Is it the same side for both tires. What was the tire presure for all of your tires.
No mater what I would replace all at the same time so you have a good reference to work with in the future. Take the best and make it a spare if the spare needs replacing.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Guys,

Also remember that the Mission tires are ST tires and have noticably less tread depth when new than the LT tires.

I'm assuming this lesser tread depth will equate to less mileage before the tire is ready to be replaced. If so, maybe an ST tire will only go 20 - 25K miles rather than 40K. Does this make any sense?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Rick, your assumption is correct about less tread equating to less mileage. When I stated the numbers above, I wasn't even thinking ST. I apologize for the error. The conditions still apply, in order to get the most life out of your tires.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Okay guys, I appreciate the questions you raised and here are the answers.

Curb side front tire from outside to inside: 2/32, 3/32, 2/32
Curb side rear tire: 3/32, 3/32, 2/32

Driver side front tire: 3/32, 3/32, 2/32
Driver side rear tire: 3/32, 3/32, 2/32

Spare tire (never on ground): 5/32, 5/32, 5/32

Most recent weights:

TV only. Steer axle: 4,340
Drive axle: 3,080
Gross weight: 7,420

TV w/ 3400RL. Steer axle: 4,380
Drive axle: 5,760
Trailer axle: 10,660
Gross weight: 20,800

By my calculations, pin weight is 2,680 (Drive w/ 3400 - Drive only?)
And, trailer weight is 13,380 (Gross w/ 3400 - Gross TV only?)

I hope this helps to clear this up. I don't know much about tires.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:57 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
They still should get far more than 10,000 miles, even on an ST tread depth. What psi do you keep in the tires when towing?

I never got more than about 20k out of our Goodyear Marathon ST tires because they kept blowing out before they got beyond that mileage. But just prior to blowing out they still had good tread left. I'd estimate another 15k to 20k.

We have only put 2 or 3 thousand miles on these Missions but they still look like new.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I run them at 80 psi.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Michael

Not that this should make a HUGE difference, but you are out on the West Coast, eh??? Did you add the trip from Goshen to your dealer in that 10,000?? That could easily add a few thousand. OK, I did a S&T route and came up with about 2000 miles from Goshen to Reno.
Not sure where you purchased, but, anyway - - - -

Just one of my random, and kinda out there thoughts.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Purchased it in Reno - so you are right. Didn't think about delivery!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The current Trailer Life magazine has a question asking whether trailer tires should be rotated. The reply is that since trailer tires are not exposed to significantly different conditions like the tow vehicle's tires are (steering/turning, etc.) that rotating a trailer's tires is of little actual value. I always was curious about this so find that interesting. I would have thought rotating would have at least some value. I don't rotate ours.

I suppose if one axle is bent then there is the argument about rotating to spread the damage, etc.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #14
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Sounds like you guys possibly have an axle out of alignment or you are running too much air. I run 65 psi as specified on the tires that came our 3400. I do not have the Mission band of tires however. I forget the name, but Mission is not it.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Native Tex,

Our sticker states 80 psi. Does yours say something different?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Hey snfexpress
I'm busy trying to to get loaded and ready for our Thanksgiving trip to Corona, NM so I really don't have time to calculate it all out, but off the top of my head you are within the weight limits of the tires at 80 psi. From your tread depth measurements it looks like you have an underinflation problem with the left front, and camber problems with the other three.
As far as tire rotation goes, anytime you have a free rolling tire you get unusual wear patterns. The friction caused by the rolling resistance between the tire and the pavement causes the leading edge of each lug , or offset of tread, to wear faster than the trailing edge of the lug, or offset of the tread. If you rotate the tires in a counterclockwise manner, meaning the right front goes to the left rear, the right rear goes to the left front, the left rear goes to the right front, and the left front goes to the right rear, you will reverse the wear pattern, equalizing the rolling resistance wear on all 4 tires.
As I said, I'm in a hurry and don't know if any of this makes sense. Glenn????
Old 11-23-2006, 05:39 AM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks, Lonnie. When you have time, how do I address a camber problem?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:48 AM   #18
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just for comparison here is my experience:

At four years and over 40,000 miles on our 2955RL there was no sign of wear at all. I replaced all four tires to be extra safe in terms of years of service. I'm sure this was being more careful than nessessary, but I did not expect to keep this trailer for more than 8 years or 80,000 miles. I replaced the Maxxis (?) tires with exact same brand and model. Still no sign of wear.

Our placard on the Montana states 65psi as recommended pressure. I have always kept it at that level.

My idea is that trailer tires, under most use patterns, would require replacement by age far more than from wear--dare I say, almost never from wear. We have never rotated trailer tires.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #19
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
snfexpress - The camber problem can only be addressed by an alignment at a professional spring and axel shop. They position the trailer so that all the wheels are perfectly unloaded, ie. with no turning twist in them. Then they position laser measurement devices on all four wheels in every direction to determine the mis-alignment. The trailer is then lifted so that all four wheels are in the air and with hydralic presses attached to the axels without removing them, they are bent into alignment. It is interesting to watch as it looks like they will snap the axels right off but it really gets the alignment done. I found it difficult to find a shop that does this in our town but managed to find a place that really knows what they are doing. The job cost me about $250 but I now know that everything is square. It also beats having to replace tires as well.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:54 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
O.V., our 2003 3295RK came with 16 inch load range D (yes, D) tires with 65 psi max. Despite being load range D, that particular size had a load rating over 3,000 pounds, which puts the tires as slightly more rating than the axle. I have forgotten the exact size but it was an unusual size and replacements had to be ordered as nobody seemed to carry them. Ours were a Goodyear Marathon brand. By the way, I put a load range E tire on one end of an axle when we had to replace a tire on the road and couldn't wait for a new tire. And didn't want to go without a spare. That's not a good thing to do. It threw the axle out of alignment according to both Keystone and the alignment shop.