Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Flat Tire

Well, I'm glad that I went to check my rig a couple of days prior to my last trip out this year. Found a flat...well it was at 20#s while the other tires were at 77#s. Hooked up and went to Les Schwabs. Pulled the tire and said nothing was wrong with it. I told him it had been loosing about 15#s a month...yes, I know I should have checked it before now:>) Had him dismount the tire to check inside...nothing also. Had him replace the stem anyway...went on the trip and not problem. No air loss after a week out...prior to this that tire lost about 5#s. Looked like I solved a problem and saved a trip...even though I should have had it in before. Don't put off until your trip is ready to start when you could solve it well beforehand.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Good advise Mike. I also got in the habit of NOT taking the TV in for service or repair the day before a trip. I found you need a day or two to make sure the repairs went well, and the middle of the desert is not the place to find out they didn't.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Richfaa and several other had the same problem. They replaced the OEM valve stems with all metal ones. I believed this solved every one of their problems. Some have taken a proactive move of replacing these valve stems before having any problems.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:49 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I had all my stems changed to metal ones, I have had zero leakage in 6500 miles.
We stopped at a rest stop on the way here to Tucson, and I torqued all 8 tires on my rig, some of the trailer tires needed 1/8 to 1/4 turn, not bad. I also shot my tires with my infra-red thermometer, all trailer tires sidewalls read around 115 degrees, 70 ambient outside. We were going 65-70 MPH average road speed.
So far we are fine with the Mission brand.
Mike, I am glad your leakage is under control, that can be a pain.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I still have the same factory installed valve stems and tires today that came with the rig back in 2003 and have never had a leaking stem.
I sometimes question these "leaking stems". Did the dealer actually detect a leaking stem or were they replaced as a last resort. What I am getting at is quite often the "valve core" goes bad or just needs tightening. A lot cheaper tightening or replacing a valve core than dismounting, dismantling and remounting a tire to replace a valve stem unnecessarily. Only time we replaced valve stems is when the old ones were cracking or when installing new tires.
In my many years in the tire service business I could have made quite a bit of extra spending cash replacing perfectly good valve stems rather than tightening a leaky valve core. We charged for new valve stems but we tightened valve cores as a no cost courtesy.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:58 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Glenn,
I agree with you, change the stems only if they are cracked or for sure leaking. On some of the posts I read earlier, some DID have bad stems, one actually broke off when an attempt was made to check air pressure. Mine came with high pressure brass stems, and I'm assuming all the new ones do.
We do as you did when you were in the tire business. New stems are installed at no charge when new tires are mounted. Valve cores, tightening cores, and checking air pressure are all done as a courtesy to anyone. Changing valve stems however, costs the same as repairing a flat tire.
I'm not saying valve stems are worry free. We all should give them a close inspection each time we check our pressure. It's also a good idea to check the valve cores with a little soapy water before putting the cap back on. Speaking of caps, make sure you keep them on, and replace any missing caps as soon as possible, as a little dirt can cause a big problem. You may check your pressure, find everything to be hunky dory, and head out, only to have a flat down the road a ways, because a grain of sand has stopped the core from seating properly. When there aren't any ladies around, I just spit on them, kinda gross maybe, but effective.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:42 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lonnie,

Dory wanted me to tell you she doesn't like the term "hunky dory" , hahahaa
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Hahahahaha, I thought about that when I wrote it.

I'm sorry Dory

I've GOTTA remember to not offend the ladies .
Old 11-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 3400 built in April of 06 had High Pressuer rubber stems and one of them leaked air when I wiggled it and the other tire would lose air. Replaced all of them with the metal stems and no trouble since then..No charge from my tire guy..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
After the Reno rally we had a flat on the way to Utah. It turned out to be a leaking stem. Nothing wrong with the tire or the rim otherwise. No more problems with that tire after the stem was replaced. That was on a 2003 Montana. I've had only one stem problem. So far.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've found that not all metal stems are the same. I've been in two situations where I couldn't get a metal stem to fit the rim. What do you guys do then? I had them put in the normal high pressure stems. I'd prefer to have the metal stems in my RV and TV tires.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I should also mention that if I were to have a problem with cracking stems because of age or was mounting new tires on the Monty I would have them replaced with the metal stems. But not until necessary just to have metal stems. As a full timer on a limited income I have much better places to spend my money.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Orv,
When you are in a situation such as you described, do what you did, and use rubber stems. I like the metal ones, but to be honest, the rubber where they seal on the wheel also cracks, and the ones with the hex nut sometimes get loose. IMHO, givin the fact that max. pressure in these tires is 80 psi.,a good quality high pressure rubber stem should be more than adequate. It would be different if we were running 14 or 16 ply tires at 110 or 120 psi.

On Edit - I should say, it all boils down to whatever you feel the most comfortable and safe with.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #14
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Glenn,

Just as a note, the stem was gratus from the dealer. The tire was not broken down to replace the stem but to inspect the inside of the tire (may not have been necessary because there was nothing obvious from the outside...probably done to keep me happy).
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #15
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Mike: Local Goodyear dealer here 'automatically' dismounted one of my dually tires last year when he found me running it at 20 psi and the rest were 60. Said even though no outside damage visible, until you look at the inside and sidewalls, you can not be sure damage was not done. While I fully understand and agree with Glenn's reluctance to spend limited funds, we each have to live with ourselves and our spouses - is $10 too much to satisfy a doubt; As some one earlier said - it comes down to what WE have to live with. As a side note - I had five flats in 3 weeks on my new 06 dodge DRW inside rears. In all cases it was the valve stem leaking right at the wheel; they first replaced with comparable rubber stems; finally replaced all 4 rear dual tire (wheels) with metal and haven't had a problem in 3000 miles. Guess we'll see here shortly when I have them rotate tires and the fronts go back there

Be safe everyone and a GREAT Thanksgiving to all. Bless our troops and those that serve (Fire, Police, medical, you know them all!!)!!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
2 weeks ago we pulled into a CG in Las Vegas, started to set up and heard a loud hissing sound. Walked, no ran to the other side and one of the valve stems on the Montana had broken right off. Now I have never ever had a valve stem go bad, even on my old snowplowing truck and they are probably 10 years old, but I just couldn't bring myself to trust the rest of the stems so I had them replaced.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote