Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
New 3400RL Yea!

We picked up our new 3400RL last Thursday. Had a great PDI with only a few items of concern. We took our PDI list from this site, and also the great suggestion to compare the invoice with our order. Thank you all for the wonderful information. We found that we were missing one fantastic fan, the cost of which the dealer is going to refund. Do not really have a place for it.
We were not happy with the countertops because they looked like a bad wax job on a car. Lots of circular marks. At first the dealer said that they all looked like that, and they could not do anything. I explained that the answer was not acceptable. They agreed to speak to Keystone. The other problem we found was the workmanship on the chairs. We got the Sapphire color scheme, and the chairs are material, not velour. The padding on the arms stop at different spots on each arm, and they are not at all comfortable.
Well, after speaking to Keystone this week, I was informed that they did authorize a buffing of the counters. Rod also gave me the name of the chair manufacturer to see what they will do.
The biggest problem was that when we stopped to dump on the way home, (we stayed overnight two nights) the black tank would not drain. We are taking the fifth-wheel back on Saturday to have that checked and the counters buffed. Hope it is a small problem with the tank.
Oh, there is a $250 certificate in the new Camping World catalog if you buy your new rv from a FreedomRoads dealer. ($500 for a motorhome)
We purchased from Foley RV in Burlington WA, and it was a great experience from start to finish. Will know after Sat. how the service is.
This is a great forum. For those of you who are awaiting new Montanas, I hope your PDI is a seamless as ours.
Shirley

therebnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Congratulations therebnme, that is where we bought our 3400. The service we got at the beginning was great, but went downhill from there. We will be anxious to see how they treat you. We bought 2 yrs ago and I am hoping that things have improved since they are affiliated with Camping World. We will be in the Burlington area this summer and may have some maintenance done, so we will be watching this thread.
Safe travels... what area are you from?
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
Thanks, Myrna.
We are in the Kirkland area. We are planning to fulltime starting the end of the summer. Can hardly wait!
We are hoping to find great service at Foleys, but will let you know how it goes.
We made sure they were aware of this forum, and they even asked me to "post nice things". So, we'll see.
Take care. Safe journey.
Shirley
Old 04-13-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gene and Shirley,
Congrats on your new 3400RL. It sure is one fine floorplan! I hope your new coach brings as much happiness to you as mine has me.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Gene and Shirley, congrats, I dealt with Max at Foley's and he was so good, especially on the follow up. Unfortunately, We did not buy from him since we are canadian, we didnt want the border hassle but his price was the best. Just not too good on the trade in price, that's ok. We bought ours in September and love it more and more. We will be towing it back to Ontario for the first time, looking forward to that. Enjoy and good luck.
Diane
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Hey, Rich! I thought those "Old World Craftsmen" were supposed to be ESPECIALLY good at furniture making??? No???

Congrats on the new 3400, Gene and Shirley! We look forward to picking up our new 3400 the first part of June.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Gene and Shirley,
Congrats on your new 3400RL. Great layout. We went and looked at one last weekend.(we were out Camping) But we just bought our 2980RL 4 months. ago. Hope they solve your problems for you. We come down to Burlington a few times a year. great area to shop, and my wife really likes shopping.
Take care
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:07 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congrats on your new pull toy. Happy RVing.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:54 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will be doing a PDI on our 3400 very soon and the issues you had with yours are noted. When you find out why the black tank did not dump let me know. Will insist on filing all tanks and dumping all tanks as part of the PDI.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:44 AM   #10
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
Thanks for all the good wishes. J & D, I love the shopping too. Guess what we will be doing while they work on our Montana?
Dave & Cheryl, we know how excited you must be for your new Montana to arrive. Ours really does look great.
Rich & Helen, I have been following your posts for awhile now, and they have been great, so I did want to give you a "heads up" about the black tank, since I know you are waiting for your PDI also. We were told they had filled and emptied all the tanks, but we should not have taken their word for it. Will let you know what they find.
Shirley
Old 04-14-2006, 05:03 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks Shirley. Our Dealer says they "pressure test" all tanks. That is a good thing BUT I will be there when they do that. I am actually going to do a Pre-PDI..PDI The camper will be in the 24th but we can not get a day off to pick it up till the 3rd Of May which is when the "official" PDI will happen..However I am going over to the dealership (45 mins away) Friday the 28th and do a Pre-PDI.If nothing else I can check the exterior and hopefully I can get the slides open for more. We have told the dealer, and they are very nice folks, that once we pull this thing out of the lot we never want to see them again unless it is to buy another camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #12
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
It's a great idea to do the pre-PDI, Rich. We are 1 1/2hrs from the dealer, so we decided to take lots of time. We were there almost 8 hours. We also do not want to have to worry about continual service.

Best of luck with your PDI. I know how anxious you must be to see your new coach.
Take care
Shirley
Old 04-14-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Interesting to see so many posts referencing Foley's in Burlington, WA as we looked at buying our 3400RL there ourselves. Thought the sales operation was non-pushy which we appreciated after surviving some very high pressure sales techniques at other brand dealers. The sales person we weree dealing with wasn't really very knwledgeable about the Montana's and that was a bit disppointing but they had a good inventory to review so that we could decide which model to buy.

When we finally decided on the 3400RL we asked for a quote on the unit in stock with a couple of easy additions we thought we needed. The quoted price for the base 3400RL was quite a bit higher than we expected and the additions were astronomical and totally unreasonable. A slide in the garage and two 6V Golf Cart Batteries instead of a normal 12V battery. My impression was that they interpreted those two additions as an opportunity to really make money. That didn't fly with us. However, we had done our homework and had found another Late 2006 3400RL in a lot at another dealer a little further away that had everything we wanted. They quoted a price lower than Foley's by over 10% and at a lower sales tax rate. But what really sold us was the dealership personnel had very intimate knowledge of all the Montana features and details. That is what really sold us. In stock at a much lower price and we could delay delivery there at no charge for a couple months until we were ready. So we made a small deposit and now expect to pick it up on May 19th. Hope we have made the right decision.

PS: They also answered a question I have had for some time about installing a fith wheel hitch in a bed that has a slip-in insert type liner. I didn't want the liner cut to install the hitch and was prepared to remove the liner before installing the hitch but they described an installtion method that obviated the need to cut slots in the liner. Just drill through for the normal holes and use rebar sections in the slots to give appropriate spacing to avoid collapsing the ridges on the insert liner. They assured us they have done this for years without any problems. They have been an RV dealer for 30 years. Ever heard of this before?
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:43 PM   #14
therebnme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4092
Hi Dean
I agree, the sales staff at Foley's do not have good knowledge of their product. I actually mentioned this to the Sales Mgr. However, we also checked other dealers, and prices and learned a great deal on this forum. We actually got about 26% off the invoice price. Thought this was pretty good, especially since we added a lot of extras such as dual-pane windows, 2nd A/C, etc.
The reason we went with Foley's was that we had heard their service department was good. Hope this turns out to be the case.
Best of luck to you with your new 3400RL. We really love ours and think we made a good decision. Will be heading out this weekend to work out any kinks. Take care,
Shirley
Old 04-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I've heard glowing reports about Foleys and they gave us a very competitive price but we decided to purchase locally.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dean
Actually yes. That is how our RV tech has installed all of our hitches.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:57 AM   #17
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Congratulations on your new beautiful Montana!!! When we picked up ours last year we did a Pre-PDI as Rich and Helen (richfaa) are going to do. It made the offical PDI go so much better (the dealer had time to fix what was wrong when we did the official PDI) Happy Camping!!!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote