Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2021, 06:19 PM   #1
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Vet Tech question

Our DD#3 just received her Veterinary Technician Certification and she is considering starting a Mobile Vet Clinic, we are retired and she would like to travel with (and without) us, she loves camping/travel.

So the question is, if a Vet Tech (check ups, teeth cleaning, anal glands, grooming, med administration, nails, etc) were available at a campground, would anyone be interested in this type of service?

we typically stay at a campground for a week or so at a time.

just curious, thanks

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Not knowing your daughter and how qualified she is I doubt we would be interested anything other than basics. We would just find a vet. We do take the very best care of our PBGV.
You aren’t going to be at a place but about a week. That doesn’t give anyone much chance to need her services or much change to find out about her or get to know her. Is it legal in all states? I don’t know.
I hope it works out for her. Good luck.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Its sounds like a good idea but seems like it would have to be coordinated with the campground owners. How would anyone know that the service is available?
We have had two emergencies in twenty years...both were with the same dog. Knock on wood - we have had good luck with our pets away from home.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:10 AM   #4
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Most CG won't allow it. Temp jobs would be more likely when populations grow with seasonal folks.
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I think doing such a business at a CG wouldn't provide much of an income. Although, we sure could have used a tech at a campground a couple of times. Perhaps there is employment as a traveling tech like there is for nurses working out of various facilities.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
It has been our experience that almost any campground has recommendations for local vet services. Have seen mobile groomers come into parks, but they do not operate from within the park itself.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Has she checked license requirements from state to state?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #8
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
she is licensed in Illinois and Utah right now, she has to be licensed in the state she is working in. Advertising is easy, as others have noted, Campground permission is something to work on, on our next trip I will ask how they feel about it

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
Chalkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28678
Since my granddaughter's boy friend is studying to become a Vet Tech I had to take a look at what is being proposed.

According to the American Veterinary Medical Association - "All veterinary technicians work under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian. While a veterinary technician can assist in performing a wide variety of tasks, they cannot diagnose, prescribe, perform surgery, or engage in any activity prohibited by a state's veterinary practice act."

I think I would be very cautious is trying to establish myself as an independent vet tech as it might run afoul of the law and more over what of insurance and bonding issues? I know the vet we take our dog to is licensed as well as insured (liability, malpractice) and bonded as is required by the state, county, and city. Medical insurance for a vet is expensive just as it is for a people doctor. Has this cost been factored in? and for that matter could said insurance even be found for an independent vet tech?

Edit: Insurance could in fact be the important concern. In our litigious society it doesn't seem to take a lot for people to sue at the drop of a hat.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, just throwing some thoughts out there in the for what it's worth column.
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:36 PM   #10
Micheletm
Established Member

M.O.C. #27698
Don’t vet techs have to operate under a licensed veterinarian?
Micheletm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:45 PM   #11
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
Our DD#3 just received her Veterinary Technician Certification and she is considering starting a Mobile Vet Clinic, we are retired and she would like to travel with (and without) us, she loves camping/travel.

So the question is, if a Vet Tech (check ups, teeth cleaning, anal glands, grooming, med administration, nails, etc) were available at a campground, would anyone be interested in this type of service?

we typically stay at a campground for a week or so at a time.

just curious, thanks
Highly doubt this would work as proposed . As previously posted, she has to work under the supervision of a licensed Vet. She might be able to travel and actually work for a vet clinic, but would probably have to commit to 30 days or more before moving on to her next location. She can call around to some vets in areas she might like to visit and see what they think. This will take some good research and careful planning.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #12
lj_cox
Established Member

M.O.C. #19296
WIth the concerns about licensing and supervision, I wonder if it would be simpler to set up as a pet groomer, and skip the more medically oriented services. I worry with the legal concerns you're setting yourself up for a lot of liability if anything were to go wrong (god forbid).
lj_cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I doubt very many, if any campground, state park, federal land park, state or national forest campgrounds, private campgrounds, or... anywhere, would permit a business such as this to set up shop. On other forums, there have been discussions about setting up everything from wood crafting shops to beauty salons; yard sales to hot dog stands, and the end result was, as stated above ... a liability issues the campground management does not want to risk. But "IF" they would, they would expect a percentage the income or a rental fee for using their property.

The answer is, no. First campgrounds won't permit it. Second, unless it's really a desperate situation, most pet owners have their own vets and will use emergency pet hospitals if needed.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote