Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2021, 10:18 PM   #1
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
TPMS Saved us...

TPMS Saved us...
I thought I had shared this here but I guess I overlooked it...7-6-21
Right rear trailer tire was 15⁰F warmer than all the others. Pulled into a rest stop and checked the tires. Looked good. Used a laser thermometer and checked the tires, hubs and brake drum.
Tire was 120⁰F (same as the TPMS)
The hubs were 167⁰
The drums (outer edge) was 248⁰
Seems like the brakes were dragging.
I crawled under and saw a brake spring wire sticking out of the inspection hole. It had rubbed a groove in the tire.
I bent it out of the way so it no longer rubbed the tire.
We eased on down the road (20 miles from our next 4 day stop) Wild Duck Adult Campground in Maine (very nice place, wonderful people!!).
We have a new tire ordered (Sailun of course) it will be here tomorrow.
Thanks to you all, I was able to figure out what brake assembly I needed to order. I have a picture of the tags on both axles since new. That paid off. Looked up on YouTube how to change brake assembly for a 7K lb Dexter axle. Very simple.
Dexter brake assembly change:
https://youtu.be/8J9i3pNUN84
Called many local area RV stores for the parts.
Etrailer Dexter never adjust 12" 7K $414
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter-Axle/23-464-465.html
Manual adjustment $175.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Dexter-Axle/23-180-181.html
Dexter Axle Trailer Brakes - 23-180-181
Electric Drum Brakes
7000 lbs Axle. 12 x 2 Inch Drum
14-1/2 Inch Wheel.15 Inch Wheel 16 Inch Wheel.
Local RV shops could get them but it would take 2-4weeks. Finally found one they could have the parts next day. They are Lippert self adjusting brake assembies. I'm not complaining.
Tropical storm Elsa will be on us tomorrow evening.
Next day drove an hour and a half and got the left and right brake assembies.
Laid down cardboard (I always carry) and got to work. When I pulled off the brake hub the outer bearing and all the brake parts fell out into the one spot I had not covered. Right into the sand. That I was NOT expecting. I've done brakes and wheel bearings before.
A neighbor, Roy, stopped by to check on me. He went and got brake cleaner and a grease gun (I had neither). He took the bearings and grease seals and cleaned them up. The axle, bearing, races etc were fine. I removed the old brake assembly (5 bolts, cut the wires). Cleaned the mount and installed the new one. These were self adjusting brakes. Torqued down the nuts. Roy and I repacked the wheel bearings and put the hub back on. Torqued down the axle nut then backed it off until the hub spun easily. Put the nut lock on. Then I pumped more grease into the hub through the zirc fitting (Dexter E-Z lube axle). Put the grease cap on. Put the wheel on. Torqued it down. Spliced the brake wiring back together. Done.
An hour later it started raining and didn't let up until the following evening.
Once again thanks to good neighbor Roy. I would have been doing this in the rain but for his help. We got it done very quickly.
When I thanked him for his help he said "pay it forward". Good motto to live by, and I will!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake fail.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	9701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake fail 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	9702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake fail 5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	9703  

Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
If you have to breakdown, that's the way to do it!
Old 09-11-2022, 09:21 PM   #3
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Awesome Daryles! (Daryle?) Glad you got your Monty fixed up toot-sweet. There ARE still good folks around in this old world. Firm believer in paying-it-forward.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:50 AM   #4
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Daryles - great report on your repair. Thank you for sharing all the details. Very informative and appreciated!

Don
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote