Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
Continously hooked up. Bad idea?

LIVING IN THE TAHOE FOREST, I WANT TO KEEP MY 5ther CONTINOUSLY HOOKED UP. REASON BEING QUIK ESCAPE IF A FOREST FIRE ALERT IS GIVEN.
WHAT are the cons to this idea? suspension problems? I could use the feet for some weight/pressure reduction. but raising the feet still takes time.

Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Being hooked up poses no problem. I was in Wyoming several years ago in fire season. A friend who lives there told me if you smell smoke leave you can’t out run a fire out here. I wasn’t hooked up I was going to leave the camper. I could by another one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You will have to do what it takes to be level or very close to it unless you have a residential frig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
No comment about the fires, but if you are concerned about the weight of the camper hitched up to your truck, stressing the leaf springs, or joints, or tires, or anything, think about this....

People who have truck campers sometimes never remove them from the bed. Does that hurt or damage the suspension of their truck?

No different than leaving your fifth wheel hooked up to your truck either.

The Palamino HS-2910 truck camper has a "shipping weight" of 3493 pounds.

The Northwood Wolf Creek 890 has a "dry weight" of 2284 pounds.

The Northwood Artic Fox 1150 has a "dry weight" of 3358 pounds

The Lance 1172 Truck Camper has a "dry weight" with standard equipment of 4174 pounds. The "wet weight" with standard equipment is 4628 pounds.

Now, if folks can put these types of weights on their trucks and leave them, almost indefinately, then the weight of your Montana will not hurt anything either.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:07 PM   #5
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
why is the frig a problem not level?...... and I knew that my 2020 ram could hold my trailer but there are no prophets in their home town!!
Old 06-27-2021, 10:20 PM   #6
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
got it....but freinds here near Sonoma were given 3 hours to get out..............grab your ready bags and take off..................side note, I knew that about the truck but needed some support to convince my wife our new truck was not being abused.LOL
Old 06-28-2021, 07:28 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lazz View Post
why is the frig a problem not level?...... and I knew that my 2020 ram could hold my trailer but there are no prophets in their home town!!
Traditional RV frig does not have a compressor. Absorption process. During the cooling process ammonia liquid moves down from the condenser fins to the evaporator coils where the cooling happens. Relies on gravity, level operation is very important. More uneven the frig, more inefficient, causing loss of cooling capability, and will cause damage to the cooling unit over time and eventual failure requiring complete replacement of the cooling unit. Not a problem when the rig is on the road, movement keeps everything moving around.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote