Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
hot water

my shower hot water is not as hot as we like it. all sink hot water is much hotter than the shower. single lever handle. do you know if the mixing valve inside is adjustable? not sure i want to take it apart just now we are on the road and if something breaks i may be in trouble. but when i can i would like to fix it. thanks
al meyer
3931fb

Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I had the same problem with my brand new Montana. I hated the shower, it did not get hot enough. It had a single handle which means, the hot and cold mixed. If we used the shower in the winter cold months, the water coming from the fresh water tank would be horrible cold, and then it would attempt to mix with the small amount of flow for the hot, making the final, very cold!

The way the handle worked, when you first turned on the water, it was all cold. Then as you turned the handle farther around, it would mix with the hot. The only problem was, it was NEVER truly hot.

Problem solved! Easy fix.

I pulled the handle assembly from the shower wall and simply switched the pipes. The hot line is now on the cold, and the cold line is now on the hot.

Now, when you first crack the faucet open, it's pulling all HOT, and the farther you turn the handle, it gets cooler. But just like before I did the switch, it will never ever get all cold now.

OK, so they installed it this way as a safety precaution so people won't burn themselves with very hot water, straight from the water heater. I get that. But here's the deal.... as long as everyone knows what's going on, they will know it starts hot.

BUT! like always, the hot water has to travel from the water heater to the faucet. Unless you are following someone else who JUST took a shower, the initial few seconds of the water running will be cold anyway. And then as the water from the water heater (hot) reaches the faucet, you can start turning it to the cooler setting.

This way, regardless of how cold the water is in the fresh water tank.... or directly from your garden hose, the water heater is always going to be the same temperature! Start hot, mix with cold. And now, we have nice HOT showers, even in the months of December, January, and February when the temperatures are below freezing.

Ever since I flipped the pipes, we've really enjoyed the shower. There is just the 2 of us, and maybe once or twice a season our son and grandson will join us for a week-end. When they take showers, we always remind them about the reversed faucet. No one has ever scaled or burned themselves.

It's an easy fix, and all you need is a Robertson screw driver to remove the screws from the faucet handle from the wall, and maybe a pair of plyers to start unscrewing the pipe connection at the back of the faucet, and then, some new silicon or bath tub calk to seal the faucet back to the wall again.

Easy Peasy!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Ahdmeyer - my unit is a 2018 model and I have a "ON Demand Control Center" in my control panel cabinet (pic below) for the Suburban Nautilus IW60 ON Demand Water Heater.. Your unit is a 2020 and the heater control may be included in the IN COMMAND screen - I don't know. The red arrow points to my water heater control panel. Mine is showing OFF now. Looking at the manual on page 4, you can press the UP or DOWN arrow to set the water temperature from 95*F to 130*F. I leave mine at 130*F...however - the temp of the water that comes out of any faucet or shower is dependent on what the temp of the water is coming in to the heater. In winter the water is colder coming in to the heater and the water does not get as hot as it does in the summer.

Off topic a bit...I am sorry to say that our rig has been parked here at the house since Jan 1 2020 - mostly due to covid lockdowns thru last year, and partially our fault for not getting out. According to the manual we are supposed to descale the unit once every year. AIRXCEL-Suburban has excellent instructions for how to do that, and they even offer a ready-made kit complete with a circulation pump. However - they do not sell the kit direct to consumers and it is difficult to find the kit from a "dealer" in the Austin area. I plan to coble together my own kit with a 120V circulation pump from Harbor Freight, and sharkbite adapters and pex piping from Home Depot/Lowes. I will have to remove the storage bay bulkhead wall and look at the way my heater plumbing is set up - then compare to the diagrams provided by Suburban...make notes of the piping sizes and need for additional valves from Home Depot/Lowes. Once I get the thing set up for the descale kit - future descale sessions will be easier...but for now - I don't believe Keystone installed the conections I need to just hook up to the pump and start a descale session.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-06-25_12-05-36.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	9472  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
thanks for the replys, dutchmansport i will keep your idea in mind, probably will take it apart when i can to see how it works and if it may be crap in it or if it may be adjustable, mikeand debbie thanks for responding, the other faucets are super hot and mine is differant than yours, i see no temp adjustment in my panel. it is ok for now just not super hot dont want to fool with it till i get home. or i may end up with nothing.
al meyer
3931fb
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I don't know if these RV faucetts come equiped with a scald guard. If they do Al, when you remove the lever it may be as easy as rotating the scald guard ring.