Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Direct-TV Satellite Dish mounted.

Anyone who has mounted a Direct-TV Satellite dish system, which folds down, and when needed push one button and the Satellite dish automatically raise's and lock onto the Satellite. This will be installed on our 2021 3762 BP. Thanks for your replies.

Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We're on our third. I would highly recommend that you install the Winegard Heavy Duty Mounting Plate to the roof first, then the dish to that mounting plate. Give a more solid surface for the dish.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:34 PM   #3
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
I had one and they work well until you set up where trees are in the way and I try my best to camp in shady areas if possible. I highly recommend a portable king dome so you can move it around to receive a good signal.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had one for years.It is not mounted on anything. We travel a lot and when we set up we put it anywhere picnic table ground were ever.t is easy to set up/
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #5
Maks
Established Member

M.O.C. #19245
Is it a Winegard Trav'lr satellite mount? I installed ours 2 years ago on our 3790rd. One of the best RV mods we ever did.
There are some "tricks and tips" to mounting them. Took a day or two to plan out how and where to mount it, but it worked out perfect.

- Once installed, I suggest mounting a small plate of heavy plastic (or something similiar) to the roof of the trailer where the LNB arm will touch the rubber roof. This will prevent vibration damage to the rubber roof when travelling.
- Use lots of rubber roof sealant in any screw holes or cable holes you will have to drill.
- Our main TV is in the back of the trailer with small cabinets mounted on both sides high up beside the TV. I ran the cabling back toward the rear of the trailer and drilled down through the roof into the cabinet. Now this cabinet holds both the dish controller and the satellite receiver.
- I also mounted the GPS sensor as far as possible toward the front of the trailer as to not have interference from the dish itself.

Winegard has a few good videos that show proper mounting techniques. I also found the instruction booklet that came with the unit was very helpful.

Lastly, we stay near the Gulf Coast in the winter where the dreaded "salty sea air" exists. If you spend any amount of time in a similiar location, I strongly suggest that once a year (if able) to remove the dish and mount from the base that is screwed to the roof of your trailer. It is amazing how much salt buildup with accumulate between the part that turns and the part that does not. The "pot metal" that the whole thing is made of is real vunerable to corrosion from the salt. When up and in use, I will spray mine down with fresh water at least once a week.

Just a few thoughts.

2009 Volvo 730 Custom RV Hauler & 2013 SmartCar
2017 Montana 3790rd
Maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I installed the RF Mogul automatic roof top antenna over the Winegard for a number of reasons. But they are very much alike. Understand that I have DirecTV, want HD pictures and service three TV's. The dome portables are not the answer for me. Yes trees block the roof top antenna once in a while. I carry a tripod mount (TV4RV product) SL3 antenna for that very case. That used to be my only antenna so I am very experienced in getting it aimed and ready in under 10 minutes.

The RF Mogul has an integrated landing pad for the antenna so no extra pad is needed. I ran the cables down the bathroom sink vent, out to the pass through compartment where I mount the control box. Normally the box is powered by a 120V plug. The 120V AC is converted to 12V DC before the box (which runs on 12V). I didn't want to have to use my inverter or generator to supply the 120V when boon docking, so I cut the power cord after the converter and connected it to 12V in the pass through. Now when setting up, or getting ready to leave, I am already inside the drivers side of the pass through and it is convenient to just push a button on the box to raise/lower the antenna.

As the control box is inside the pass through, running the satellite coax from it to the RF connections in the convenience center was a piece of cake. The DirecTV splitter allows multiple RF connections to the various satellite connectors (LR, BR) native to the coach. I am lucky as my year model used direct connect RG6 to the various rooms with none of those diplexors, splitters, or Key TV doodads the geniuses at Montana now use. If I need to use my portable, it connected to the DirecTV splitter in place of the RF Mogul connection. Easy peasy. I am fairly sure the Winegard can be configured in the same way.

Using the vent line and mounting the control box n the pass through eliminates drilling holes in the roof and trying fish cables through cabinets while allowing me to feed all the TVs

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Roof top Direct-TV

Thanks for all the responses. In the past we had the Wineguard Direct-Tv dish roof top mount, had it remounted onto two different 5th wheels. We ordered the Wineguard roof top satellite dish yesterday, will be installed on 15 July.

Finally going tomorrow 23 June to pick up our 2021 Montana 3762 BP, waited for a 5th wheel hitch since 25 April. Canceled the order, and ordered the Trailer Saver hitch BD 5G, 5,000 lb pin weight, and 28,000 towing weight. Ordered on Wed. 16 June, dropped to my local address, and arrived on 18 June. Installed in about 15 minutes. We are ready to go, in the morning, after wife's Dr. appointment. Was support to leave for are return West after wife's Dr. appointment for Glacier National park. Canceled trip, will go next summer. Thanks again.

Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
MOODY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24936
Yep, got it and love it. Winguard Traveler . As soon as you arrive at our new destination call Direct TV - give them the new address to get your local channels otherwise you will have all but local channels.
When you turn on Direct TV at your new location go to Satellite setup and change the zip code to your new location so Direct TV box will know where to look in the sky for the satellites. Then call Direct TV for your locals.
When you get to your next destination and you call Direct TV you will need the last address you gave them before they will change to your new address.

Kevin & Pat Moody
2020 Montana 3701LK, Legacy Package, Satellite, Solar, Generator, 2019 Ford F350 Dually, BD5F Trailer Saver, 12' Trailer with Kayak Rack, Polaris General XP 4 1000
MOODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #9
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I have a Winegard Travler for Dish on my Monty. The installation for Direct should be the same. Beware of the curvature of the roof and the limits Winegard calls out for space between the outer part of the dish footprint and the roof. I used the Winegard heavy duty mounting plate to keep the roller at the end of the LNB support from running on the rubber roof. I had a machine shop make aluminum wedges to fill the space between the base of the dish and the roof. No troubles in many years. My control head is located in the bedroom closet and the coax from the dish is run to the satellite inputs in the convenience center. I do my best to get "satellite friendly" sites. When I don't, I always have the batwing or the DVR to fall back on.