Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
MHil

M.O.C. #25661
Water Heater Check Valve

Howdy!
I own a 2016 Montana High Country 305RL. In winterizing it, I drained the water heater, turned the water heater bypass valve (in the convenience center) to "On", connected a suction hose to the antifreeze inlet, and turned the Winterizer valve to 'On".
The electric pump is drawing antifreeze from the jug, but it's flowing into and draining from, the open water heater. Antifreeze is flowing into the water heater irrespective of the bypass control valve position.
Would this indicate that a check valve on the hot water outlet side of the water heater is malfunctioning? If so, how is the back of the water heater accessed in this model... by removing the rear wall of pass-through storage?
Thanks!

MHil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #2
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
seems like you have a faulty valve, but if i were you and you are desperate to get this winterized then i would put your water heater anode rod back in(so you can build pressure in the system, open your low point drains until all liquid comes out, then close them for air method winterization. Hook up a compressor to your city water outlet at no more than 40 psi, and walk around and open up all the valves in the unit until they are just misting air. Dont forget any washer and dryer ports you may have, the outside shower, etc. Then open your low point drain one last time and pull the anode plug again to drain any remaining liquid in the tank. At that point, you can start working on fixing your primary problem. Since you are probably going to have some pink antifreeze in your hot water heater i would flush it good to you dont get any corrosion. Make sure you flush it good!

2021 Montana 3854BR with 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Limited CC LB, 2021 Malibu 23 LSV, 2019 Can AM XRS turbo, 2017 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:49 AM   #3
MHil

M.O.C. #25661
Thanks... i'll need to do that until I can unload everything, get the panel out the basement so i can access the back end of the water heater...assuming that's the access route.. i've not found a way from inside the coach, so it's looking like that'll be the way!
MHil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water heater bypass valve, winterizing