Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Montana_3918

M.O.C. #3918
Need Truck Advise

We got the cart before the horse when we found the 3670RL at a great price. We've about decided we need a F350 Dually Diesel or the Dodge equivalent, but we are so new at this it seems you knowledgable people speak a different language. Could someone just give us a list of what you think we need in a truck, considering we love the US and Canadian Rockies and will be traveling there a lot.
Thinks for any input.
Bob and Bonnie

Montana_3918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Bob and Bonnie,

Welcome to the MOC forums!

I'm glad you are asking the question about what you need and not what brand of truck is better (you'll never get a good answer to that one). Here's a list of what I consider important:

1 - Tow package - This usually includes the trailer connectors as well as extra transmission and oil coolers (very important for towing especially hills or mountains).

2 - Trailer tow mirrors - Dodge has tow mirrors that flip up for towing and have a built in blind spot mirrors. I'm not sure what Ford offers as options.

3 - Axle Gear ratio - Taller gears will reduce mpg but give you better towing capacity and power. I recommend that you research the available axle gear ratios with your dealer as well as on-line resources (manufacturer's web site and truck enthusiast web sites). I personally run the shorter gear option from Dodge because I use the truck as my daily driver and the mpg is a bit more important to me.

4 - 4 wheel drive - This one is a bit of a conversation piece, depending on who you talk to. I, personally, will never get a truck without 4WD. Not only do I need it for the upstate NY winters, but it's useful on wet grass or sandy sites when hooking up and pulling out. Actually, it came in quite useful at the North East Rally. Glenn has already posted about how important 4WD was there.

5 - Long bed - I prefer a long bed truck. You don't need the more expensive slider hitch and it is safer to tow, especially when you have a tight turn. If you absolutely need or prefer a short bed, there are option out there and I'm sure some of the members who tow with a short bed will chime in.

6 - Payload Capacity - Make sure you choose a truck that can handle the trailer's pin weight as well as your own weight and the weight of a full tank of diesel. Remember, the rated pin weight of the trailer is dry weight, so it will be somewhat higher once you load the trailer.

Well, here's a list to start with. Hopefully, it gives you some ideas to start with. Tow vehicle selection is very personal to a lot of people, so I just say to choose what you are comfortable with. We started to tow our 3575RL with a 2003 Dodge 2500 and if it wasn't for an unbelieveable deal, I would probably still be usinbg that truck instead of the 3500 dually I have now.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Fred gave a very good list and there's not very much I can add. He mentioned not knowing about the Ford mirrors. The Ford towing mirrors are superb and are highly touted by magazines who say there is no need for an aftermarket solution since none of them come close to the OEM towing mirrors. If you go Ford, just be sure you get the towing mirrors. I'd have to dig out my window sticker to tell you if this is an extra option or part of the towing package.

Another thing you'll need is a good brake controller. If you go Ford, get the Tow Command package. That's the builtin brake controller and is absolutely the best controller I've ever used. If you do not get that package or don't go Ford, then I'd recommend the Prodigy, by Tekonsha. Also a very good controller in my opinion. We used the Prodigy with the prior two trucks.

Long bed vs. short bed. I agree with Fred on this one, too. The longbed is the better choice for towing. But if the shortbed better meets your other needs (as it does ours), then a slider is highly recommended. The best available slider is the Pullrite SuperGlide, in my opinion. The sliding is automatic, eliminating the need to remember to pop the slider hitch. It is pricey, though. If you opt for a manual slider hitch, that also is a workable solution. Many of us have a manual slider. However, if you forget to pop the slider you still have the risk of crashing Montana to truck cab. That said, I've only had to use the slider four times in 9 years but was glad to have it when I needed it.

As Fred said, tow vehicle selection can be very much a personal decision. I've been very happy with Ford and others are equally happy with Dodge and GM. You are talking diesel so I'll just say all three of those have diesels that will do a terrific job for you. So with that in mind you can select the vehicle based on other criteria. Just be sure to meet the criteria for towing that Fred mentioned.

Good luck. You got a sweet model in the 3670.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
Montana_3918

M.O.C. #3918
Between replies to our same question last night, which we didn't think got posted as we were constantly thrown off the website, and replies to our question tonight, we have so much solid information to absorb. Thanks to you all so much. It's great to be getting help from the people who know, rather than just someone wanting to sell us something.
Bob and Bonnie
Montana_3918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Bob and Bonnie -

One last item is the dualies. This is also a personal preference, not a requirement. Many of us prefer the handling of single wheels as opposed to the dualies. Other people feel much more comfortable with dualies. And another advantage for us non-fulltimers with a garage is that with a short bed, if we touch the back wall, we can actually shut the garage door. So many options, so little time.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
All good counsel from the others. My bit is to say what ever you decide, enjoy, and don't second guess yourself.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
All well said, I think the only thing not mentioned was engine choice: gasoline or diesel. Here again a lot of it is personal choice, but if your budget allows you to get a diesel, you'll get a lot more torque and power as well as better fuel mileage. If you plan to keep the truck a long time, the payoff gets better.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am not partial to any one brand truck but I think that Ford SD..has "THE TRUCK" right now.Our last TV was a silverado (great truck).Gas or Diesel//My criteria Will you drive 25/30,000 miles a year or more...will you keep the truck 5 years or more..will you be towing heavy loads up steep grades on a regular basis.If yes diesel. There are a lot of changes mandated by federal law in diesel fuel and diesel motors in 07 so do your homework. I bought gas because I was a bit leery about the diesel direction but if all works out will go diesel in 07 or 08.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote