Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Pull-Rite 16K Slider Hitch Info Please

Got home from the dealer with the new Monty and NO information about the hitch.

Do you lubricate the 5th wheel plate and if so with what? Did you owners get an owners manual with the setup?

Thanks for now.

RKassl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The best way I have found to lubricate your plate is to use a teflon disk that fits on your pin box plate. It is dry and doesn't get grit and dirt mixed into the lub. These disks are available at you dealers or from Camping World.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
No you DO NOT lubricate the hitch plate nor do you use a teflon disk. The only lubrication required is on the top side and insides of the 2 rails that the hitch travels on. Nothing more than a light coating of a spray grease is required.

Yes we did get a manual and if you call PullRite at 877-785-5748. I am sure they will send you one.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Bob and Nancy, are you referring to the SuperGlide hitch? If so, yes, there was a packet that I received with it, and one of the points that was made in it was to use white lithium grease on the top and inside of the way tubes, which I do, but it is also says to clean off old grease and reapply as needed. I have developed the habit of doing so before each trip.

For the 5th wheel plate itself, the book suggests using… “ a light lubricant such as WD–40, 3–in–1 oil, or Silicone Spray Lubricant, before each trip or as needed. Be sure the the plate is free of dirt and oil buildup.”

Hope that helps.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am on the same page as Wordsmith. I use the same grease as he does as well as clean and re-apply before the start of each day. I also use WD-40 to spray a light coat on the hitch plate and all around the kingpin to help prevent any rust and ease hook-up.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:24 AM   #6
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Like Stiles, we use the Teflon plate. As a bonus, it appears that the plate also takes up some slack space and the pin/hich tolerances are pretty tight (this appears to be reducing bumping and wiggle on rough roads and starts and stops). As well, without the lube on the top plate, our hitch and kingpin are staying nice and clean!

Glenn, if you have info on reasons not to use the Teflon disk, I'd love to hear them. Sure would hate to have any sort of mechanical failure!! Gracias!!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Pete, I have heard somewhere, do not know exactly where at the moment, but it was strongly suggested that a teflon disk not be used with the SuperGlide. Perhaps a phone call to PullRite would clarify.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've used the teflon disk for years on our Reese and think that's the way to go. Maybe not on a superglide but I know nothing about those. On the regular hitch I'd highly recommend the teflon disk. I lube rotation points and sliding points on our hitch but not the saddle. The disk takes care of that. Once again, my opinion, but I'm happy with the disk.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pete Alford

Like Stiles, we use the Teflon plate. As a bonus, it appears that the plate also takes up some slack space and the pin/hich tolerances are pretty tight (this appears to be reducing bumping and wiggle on rough roads and starts and stops). As well, without the lube on the top plate, our hitch and kingpin are staying nice and clean!

Glenn, if you have info on reasons not to use the Teflon disk, I'd love to hear them. Sure would hate to have any sort of mechanical failure!! Gracias!!
It is very simple. With the SUPERGLIDE the pin box DOES NOT pivot on the hitch plate AT ALL. Rather the hitch itself rotates and slides on the way tubes. There fore it is only recommended that the topside and inside of the way tubes be greased. If you have never seen a Superglide in action there is no way you could possibly understand.

You can make out in the picture that the hitch plate itself has turned. To complete the turn the hitch plate will actually move toward the back on the 2 silver way tubes which are visible just under the plate. These tubes allow the hitch on the 16K Superglide to move back 14 inches.
If you contact PullRite at 877-785-5748 they will send you a video of the hitch in action.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Ditto on Glenn's explanation. No lube on the hitch plate except a little WD-40. Use a good lube on the way tubes and keep them clean. SuperGlide is the only way to go if you have a short box!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:52 PM   #11
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Double ditto. And we will agree that for us the SuperGlide is the way to go with the short-bed. It gives us one less major problem to worry about--and the peace of mind it provides is terrific. Maybe Glenn (it was you I think) will repost that picture of the truck in his park that had punched out the windshield in the back of the truck cab. That's an ouch we are happy to avoid.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bowie

Double ditto. And we will agree that for us the SuperGlide is the way to go with the short-bed. It gives us one less major problem to worry about--and the peace of mind it provides is terrific. Maybe Glenn (it was you I think) will repost that picture of the truck in his park that had punched out the windshield in the back of the truck cab. That's an ouch we are happy to avoid.
I can do that......

This fellow was in the same park as us this winter. He has a manual slider in this shortbed Chevy but he had kinda forgot to slide it. He said he's been pulling this Prowler 5th wheel for years and never had a problem (where have I heard that before). The site in his last CG was very tight and he had the rig at about 80 to 85 degrees.
Obviously the window is completely gone and he has some body damage to the truck. The 5er has a very small dent. Needless to say but if his hitch had been the "automatic" PullRite Superglide he would still be looking thru glass.