Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2005, 07:50 AM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Wrong Info on NY Thruway tolls!!

Take the time to read the whole post for the correct information

A post from Motorhome.com

Topic: "NYS Thruway Tolls for 5th Wheels going way up !"

"I recently received an email from a fellow HR 5th Wheel owner about the new Toll increase on the NYS Thruway. It seems we will be classified as about the same as a tractor trailer. While Motor Homes pulling a toad will get a lower rate. If you plan to use the NYS Thruway go to the website and check it out. We will be classified as a 4H. The new schedule and classes are on www.thruway.state.ny.us Some of us are contacting our NY Senators about this. It is not fair to Fifth Wheel owners. So much for Tourism in NY. We will avoid using the Thruway when possible. Just have to leave earlier. I don't mind paying my share but this is a form of discrimination."

My Reply:

Looking at the NY Thruway web site

Determining Vehicle Classification

Vehicle classification is based on the height of the vehicle over the first two axles and the total number of axles, including any towed vehicles or trailers. Vehicles under 7 feet 6 inches in height are considered “LOW” (L). Vehicles 7 feet 6 inches in height or greater are considered “HIGH” (H).

The way I read it as long as your tow vehicle is under 7' 6" then it is classified as a "LOW" (L) vehicle, not "HIGH" (H)
Therefor my F350 SRW with the Montana 5th wheel would be a 4L. Not the same as a Tractor Trailer

Where a motorhome is over 7' 6" that is why they made a specal catagory for them.

So therefor the way I read it when I go from Albany to Buffalo it will cost me $19.45 cash, if I had a pop-up sinlge axle it would be $16.35 and if I had just a car it would be $10.60. Not the quote $37.76 by one of the post

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I could be wrong but you stated that the hieght is over the first two axles, well the front of the fith wheel [the highest part] is over axle # 2 So that might put you in a higher price
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Folks,

Sure is crazy. We lived in Rochester when the TW was finished. If correct it was in 1956. They told us that there would be a toll to travel it for 7yrs. Then it would be payed for and the Toll would go away. That means we only have to wait a little longer until 1963 and we'll be off the hook. Right?

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
With my F350 short wheel base I have a Pop-Up 10" hitch extension so the trailer does not extend over the rear axle.
Unless the front of the trailer is directly over the rear axles, the way I read it it woould be classified as a "LOW" vehicle.
But I could be wrong.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Update to orginal post from Motorhome.com

"Everyone can calm down now. Here's a reply from the Thruway authority:

Dear Mr. Fenton,

Thank you for taking the time to contact the New York State Thruway Authority regarding the upcoming toll increase and the use of motorhomes, 5th wheels.

While 5th wheels are not eligible for the "Motorhome Discount" they will be classified based on the height of the first vehicle. For example, if a pickup truck (2 axles) is towing a 5th wheel, the combination will be considered as "LOW." If the 5th wheel has one axle, the combination will be considered a "3L."

The height of a 5th wheel mounted camper/travel trailer will not be considered when determining the height over the first two axles of the tow vehicle.

I hope this clarification is helpful. Should you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me again.

Sincerely,
Betsy L. Graham
Department of Public Affairs

>>> Thruway Form Processor 05/10/2005 8:26:08
Old 05-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We travel a lot between Watertown, NY and the Ohio Border. We never go on the Interstate until we get to the PA border. In fact we find it doesn't take any more time than if we did. Instead of going south to Syracuse to get to the Interstate, we go along the Seaway Route until Rochester, then go on I33 and I20 until the PA border where we jump on the Interstate and stay on the Interstate across Ohio as it is too slow to do otherwise.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
There are 2 toll roads I will go out of my way to avoid. One is the NY Thruway and the other is the PA Turnpike. These [s]hiways[/s] err pothole boulevards are in deplorable repair(?) in most areas and I'll be da%@ed if I'll pay to drive on some wash board. Both the NY Thruway and PA Turnpike are Interstate hiways which also means as interstate hiways the states are also reveive monies from the federal government for their upkeep(?). If I have to go east or west in PA or NY I will use I-80. 80 is not the best but it ain't no toll road either.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
Al B
Established Member

M.O.C. #3654
We live in the Albany New York area. We use the NYS Thruway frequently. Rates have gone down for us. We have a '03 Chevy Dually. They used to count the wheels. Now they count the axles.
We pulled our Monty (3670) and were charged as a 4L. This means 4 axles and tow vehicle under 7ft. 6 in. They are trying to give people with recreational vehicles a break, so they have a special class for Motorhomes because they are taller. Also, we went from Albany to The New Jersey line 2 weeks ago and the condition of the thruway is good. We have also been as far as Syracuse recently and the condition of the road was also fine. I-88 However, from Binghamton to Oneonta is the worst.
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
We live halfway between Rochester and Corning. We almost never take the NYS Thruway. Whenever we have to go East or West, we take I-86 (formerly Rt 17) as much as possible. Not only is it free, but most of the construction is completed and a large portion of the highway is new.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:08 AM   #10
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
I'm with you Glenn and Lorraine and since I'm retired, we have the time to avoid those roads that they should pay us to drive on rather then the other way around. The Pa. Turnpike is in turmoil and, particularly, the western portion.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote