Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 05:27 AM   #1
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Adjustable Rancho shocks installed

I got my new adjustable Rancho shocks installed last Saturday. I still need to get the remote panel installed, but I'll do that when I get the remote panel for the Firestone air bags I installed a couple of months ago.

The range of adjustment on those shocks are AMAZING. At their softest setting, they are almost as soft as the old OEM shocks I just took off (after 65,000 miles). At the stiffest, they will almost rattle the fillings out of your teeth when empty. I'm very interested to find out how it will feel when I hook up the Monty for a drive. I suspect that this will be just what the Dr. ordered for my extreme range of truck loading (empty & very VERY loaded).

Eric

Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Eric,
Are you using the shocks to add height to the rig or just to dampen the heavier load?
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Hill

Eric,
Are you using the shocks to add height to the rig or just to dampen the heavier load?
These Rancho's are adjustable stiffness. They do not provide any lift. Thats what the Firestone air bags are for.

Eric
Old 04-20-2005, 05:54 AM   #4
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Eric,

Keep us posted about how they handle while towing. I've thought about getting adjustable shocks before, because I am either running my truck empty (as my daily driver) or loaded with the 5er.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'd also like to hear reports as you gain experience with them. Our Ford came OEM with Rancho shocks but they're not adjustable. Since I plan to keep this truck nearly forever I'm sure someday I'll need to replace the shocks. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:18 AM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Thanks Eric,
I didn't see the listing for the airbags on your signature. That's what I've been told before.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:19 AM   #7
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
They make a big difference when towing. I set the rear to the highest(stiffest) setting when towing and leave the fronts at 5(middle) all the time. The steering response feels better with the front a little stiffer and the bouncing with the 5'er attached has been almost been eliminated in the rear.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Well, I pulled the Monty home (about 12 miles) to de-winterize this morning. While this isn't a conclusive test of the Ranchos, there are some good bumps & humps & holes on the way. So I think that I can safely say that:

"The adjustable Rancho shocks ROCK!"

Keystone, on the other hand, I don't have anything complimentary to say about just at the moment. I'll be starting a new topic....

Eric
Old 04-30-2005, 03:44 AM   #9
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
I've has mine for about 6 months. Worth every penny. Usually set mine on 7/7 , 9 in the rears is just too firm for us. For a little smoother ride when unhooked, 5/3 works for us.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #10
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Curiosity makes me ask just what kind of price range are we talking about for the Rancho shocks? Thanks!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:14 AM   #11
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wordsmith

Curiosity makes me ask just what kind of price range are we talking about for the Rancho shocks? Thanks!
The shocks themselves have a full retail of something like $83 each. Plus, if you don't want to crawl under the truck to adjust them (in mud, snow or wet pavement...) its about another $150 (street price, don't know what full retail is for that) for the remote control panel (plus more $$$ if you need someone else to install it.)

Not cheap.

http://www.samsoffroad.com/ has the best price on them that I've been able to find anywhere else. I got mine on a sale 4 for the price of 3 (ended up being $52 each.) End of last year, they had a better sale where you could get the remote panel free if you got 4 shocks. Missed that one

However, I'm forming the opinion that for the Rancho shocks, you get what you pay for. These are SERIOUSLY nice

I swapped out the shocks one of our early warm weekend days. I'll put the remote panel in place once we warm back up again after I get the remote panel for the air bags. Might as well install both at the same time as I need to run battery wires, air lines, etc. down the same path for both.

Eric
Old 05-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Are these Ranchos "lifetime" shocks that are replaced free if they wear out? If not, what mileage do they anticpate you get before replacement is needed?
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:06 AM   #13
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Are these Ranchos "lifetime" shocks that are replaced free if they wear out? If not, what mileage do they anticpate you get before replacement is needed?
Thanks.
Don't know. Don't really care. They do what I need them to do. If I have to buy another set in 40-50K miles, so be it.

Eric
Old 05-05-2005, 03:46 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Eric, I wasn't questioning the wisdom of your purchase. I was just wondering, for the time down the road I have to replace shocks. My Ford came with Rancho shocks but they are non-adjustable. Didn't mean to offend.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:44 AM   #15
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:

Eric, I wasn't questioning the wisdom of your purchase. I was just wondering, for the time down the road I have to replace shocks. My Ford came with Rancho shocks but they are non-adjustable. Didn't mean to offend.
No offence taken. If I can handle Will Sill for 7 years.... As for my own reply I wasn't trying to be "short", just pragmatic.

I don't have any indication that the RS9000X shocks are lifetime guarenteed. I suspect that most times, this kind of guarentee is from the installation chains that guarantee a "cheap" replacement then make their money on installation labor (which also covers the new cheap replacement.)

As for the OEM verison on your truck, my understanding is that these are the lower quality Ranchos. I wouldn't expect them to last any longer than any other shock. The tendancy is to keep a shock on a vehicle way longer than they should be allowed to remain in service. For example, my OEMs were way WAY overdue (and it was much easier to tell with the Monty attached.) So, just because they say "Rancho", don't expect to keep them in service for ever. Personally, I'd start checking them with a suspicious eye in the 40-50K mile range to make sure they are still performing like they need to. Just my humble opinion.

Eric
Old 05-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's about what I've found with OEM shocks, too. 35k to 50k. On my '99 F350 I went to the Ford dealer at about 35k miles and told him I thought the shocks were worn out, not doing the job when towing. To my surprise he replaced all four under warranty, telling me the truck was built for towing and if it wasn't doing the job then it had to be fixed. I didn't argue. Those were not Rancho, though. Thanks for the feedback. I figured they'd be lifetime but apparently not.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good news, Eric. I believe your shocks have a "lifetime limited warranty".

http://www.gorancho.com/support/warranty.stm
Old 05-09-2005, 04:06 AM   #18
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:

Good news, Eric. I believe your shocks have a "lifetime limited warranty".

http://www.gorancho.com/support/warranty.stm
Cool!

Eric