Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2005, 01:51 AM   #1
Montana_3359
Established Member

M.O.C. #3359
handicap ramp

I have a son-in-law who is in a wheelchair that will visit on occasion. his chair is 28' wide the same as the door opening on the Montana. Has anyone made a portable ramp to use, that I might get some help with.

Montana_3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:32 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
with the size of the door it may be difficult. even if the size is close, it is going to be hard to manuver through the door opening. and the ramp would actually have to be aprox 15' long to accomodate the proper pitch. I have no experience doing it, but I had discussed it with my builder for our house.there is alot to consider.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:52 AM   #3
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
The general rule for ramps is 12:1 if I remember correctly. This means that for every 1' of rise, you need 12' of length. Now this is also assuming that the individual in the w/c is pushing themselves up the ramp, and this is also for "permanent" residences or buildings with public access. As a temporary solution, you can probably do whatever you want, but anything shorter than the 12:1 ratio will make it more difficult to climb. As a side note, the housing sub-division we are considering for retirement has a number or homes with RV garages, one was built with the garage lower than the house so that one of the owners could use a flat ramp from the house in to the motorhome. Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of what to do when you get to a campsite and want to get out. Good Luck!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:30 AM   #4
Montana_3359
Established Member

M.O.C. #3359
I know I will have to assist him in getting up the ramp, I think my daughter and I get get him up the ramp, maybe even an isle chair like they use on the airlines. I'm just in the thinking and planning stage. It would be nice if they could join us a few times.
Montana_3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:34 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
There was a segment on RV Today once about an RVin' couple - she was in a chair. Her husband installed a lift at the door. I think there's one for a pickup that can be used. He even adapted the bathroom and added some extra light switches etc. so she could continue the lifestyle they so love !!

Check here for info

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
willyj,
I use one of the 3 wheel handicap carts. When we first got our rig we carried the cart inside the rig. To get in we cut a 3/4 inch thick 4x8 plywood just wide enough to fit inside the door. Then we'd just "walk" the cart up the ramp into the rig. It would just fit. Note that I did not ride the cart up the ramp..... Just walked it up. It worked fine for the time we used it. I would be afraid to ride a ramp up into the rig even if was strong enough to hold me.

There are companies that make lifts for just what you need. I've never priced them but suspect they are a lot of $$$$.

We now have an electric carrier for the cart mounted on the front of our TV. So far so good.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote