Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 03:23 AM   #21
bwright
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17756
We bought our first 5th wheel almost one year ago, a HC 353RL, very similar to the 305. We had a few very minor issues but overall we are loving the HC. Pulling with a F350 SRW Diesel with no problem whatsoever.

bwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:42 AM   #22
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
In my Ram 2500 HD I can handle the 375FL which has a similar weight. If my V10 was a diesel I only pick up abut a thousand pounds of towing capacity. I would love to have a tonner with a Diesel but the Ram is paid for and will work hard to pull for a while. Silverado's generally are far better towing vehicles than older Rams so I would certainly give it a try. Make sure you have almost empty tanks. I mistakenly towed a hundred miles with full ones. Thanks to my dealer. The Truck told me I had too much weight but it still pulled. I will not try climbing the Rockies with the combination but see no problems with eastern mountains. You will need a gas station nearby as my V10 guzzles almost 3 cups per mile.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #23
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
2014 HC 305. We love our 305. Only 1 real problem, a leak from underneath when driving in the rain. Only took dealer 1 1/2 hrs to do fix after waiting 6 weeks for OK from Montana to fix it. Just yesterday talked with 2016 305 owner who had had the same problem.
Check your tires, ours all 4 separated with about 3500 miles on them.Just got home from Fl with 95 degree heat and high humidity. Our AC kept us very cool just needed one at night. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:05 AM   #24
stevedjarrell
Established Member

M.O.C. #18860
Well, I picked up our new HC on Saturday. I have to say Towing it was so much nicer than towing my 2010 North Trail 28Bh. I barely knew it was behind me. I know number wise I am maxing out my Silverado but Honestly it had no problem keeping 65 on Cruise control going up and down long grades. Mind you this is the east coast and nothing gigantic and everything was empty, But the 6.0 pulled just fine and would even accelerate going up. I was worried about crawling up the hills a little but it was great.

I did have the dealer install 3" Steel scrape rollers on the end of the frame as I was concerned it would not go up my drive way. Well I was right. I had to pull up my Neighbor's driveway and cross over into my yard and back it in place. His drive does not have a dip at the apron like mine does and is not as steep ( Although mine goes up maybe 10' in 100') I did try to pull out of mine to see if it would drag the back leveling gear and I did not even get the camper tires to the apron and the rollers were already on the ground and uncompressing the suspension. So I am sure getting it out of my Driveway will be a real treat. But it is goin onsite in September (Seasonal) and will pretty much remain there until we move to FL in 3 years (As soon as the boy graduates HS we are out of the tax you to death state). MY property there is completely flat.
stevedjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #25
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stevedjarrell

I had to pull up my Neighbor's driveway and cross over into my yard and back it in place. His drive does not have a dip at the apron like mine does and is not as steep
Solution: stay on the good side of your neighbor. BBQ him some ribs from time to time.

Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #26
stevedjarrell
Established Member

M.O.C. #18860
That is so true. He's my Father-in-law and a nice guy but I hate doing that. But yes I will make him some good stuff next weekend. MAybe ribs and either a full brisket or just some burn ends.
stevedjarrell is offline   Reply With Quote