Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 04:53 PM   #21
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
To keep our cabinet doors closed (especially the ones behind the slide), we use those baby door locks. There's a bunch of different ones, ours look like a "C" and we can stretch or close the "C" under the two handles. Ta-Da

Another tip from that show today was for your spices that seem to roam around a lot. Use velcro and stick them onto a handy space inside a door or cabinet. Need it, just reach up and rip it off. Stick it back when you're through.

Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:53 AM   #22
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
We also have the 3295RK, and we have had no problems with items bouncing from the cupboards or any breakage. Well... ...when we left a glass full of spare change on the counter it found its way to the floor to hit something and break, but I can't blame that on anything to do with the monty. Someone asked about things I don't like about the unit. The main thing I have not liked is the fact that all of the electrical outlets on the kitchen side are on the same (GFCI)circuit, so we had to be careful not to overload it. Tapping into the circuit for the Microwave for an additional outlet solved this problem for us. The other things are minor, one being the lack of a 12V outlet in the living area/kitchen. We solved that by tapping in and adding one on the right hand side of the fridge where we also added an outlet for the TV antenna so we can use our 12V TV on the counter when boondocking. The final item is that the location of the water pump below the curio makes for it being more noisy than other units we have had. However, it is soooo handy there for winterizing. We do intend to replace the pump sometime with one of the "sensor" pumps that are very quiet. If you haven't yet purchased the unit, you might insist on that being done as a condition of purchase.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:17 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Karl and Carol, thanks for the tips. We have exactly the same problem with the GFCI circuit. I understand the late 2003 models and later have changed this but I'm not positive. Besides the kitchen slide items (including the fridge) the computer desk outlets, the rear kitchen outlets, the bathroom, the patio outlet outside, the outlets on the kitchen peninsula are all on that same circuit in ours.

If you don't get around to changing the water pump right away, insulation along the inside of the walls of that cabinet plus insulating the lines within the cabinet so they don't vibrate against each other helps considerably. Some folks have spliced in flexible tubing where the current lines connect to the pump. I hear that helps stop the vibrations. You're right, that pump is pretty noisy and reverberates into the bedroom where one of us is trying to sleep.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:45 AM   #24
Ironman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1703
Send a message via AIM to Ironman Send a message via Yahoo to Ironman
We too have a 3295RK and have pulled it at least 4000 miles without a problem. Just as a precaution, I have just purchased some child proof cabinet door locks for the back cabinets where I store my canisters of sugar, flour, etc. Also, I have put them on the island cabinet doors just to be sure the dishes and glasses won't have a opportunity to move.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:06 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have one cabinet (the one under the TV) we strap the handles to keep it from coming open. But it has about 300 DVD movies in some storage drawers and that weight can push the doors open. Makes a real mess when the movies are in a specific order.

Originally we had a few doors open on rough roads but adjusting the latches stopped that. The male part of the latch has to be perfectly centered between the two halves on the female side. Those halves are springloaded so if not centered you don't have both sides holding the latch closed. Many miles since adjusting with no further occurrences of those doors opening.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:12 PM   #26
JimnPat
Established Member

M.O.C. #1997
We bought our Montana/rear kitchen in April. Have not had any breakage or problem with doors coming open. We love it and all of our friends are impressed with the "full size" kitchen
JimnPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:17 AM   #27
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We have the 3295RK and just love it. Haven't had any of the doors come open and stuff fly out and break. We have acrylic plates and glasses and stuff just incase it were to fly out it wouldn't break or it wouldn't shatter if it did break.

We keep our plates and such in the very back cabinet, not the one over the sink so we have very little movement at all. We live it and it's nice not to be in any ones way back there.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:23 AM   #28
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We have a 327RKS which has a rear kitchen. The only problem we have had is keeping things on the lazy sussie in the corner cabinet. Really though its no big deal. We love the rear kitchen and how it is seperated from the rest of the area. As for plates and such we have had no problems what so ever with anything breaking or falling out. So far (5000 miles worth) we have had no cabinets open during travel neither have he had anything break.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:29 AM   #29
Montana_2364

M.O.C. #2364
The dealership told me to get on this site and that I could learn more from owners then I ever could from the maufacturer or dealers. Boy, was he right. All of you have been very insightful. We talked to guy that was at the maufacturing end of the deal and he said that, originally, when they saw this website they were scared but it has turned out to be a good thing for the customers and the company. I talked to a dealership about a different brand of rig and he was telling my husband and I that not all brands of rigs has insulation on the slides. Do the Montanas? I thought I had the rig in mind that I wanted and then I saw the "step down kitchen" and was just in awe. Anyone out there have one of those and what do you think?? I think that is what Jim and Pat are referring to.
We are thinking of retiring in a couple of years and are looking at the rig for full time for a couple of years.
Montana_2364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:33 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, they have insulation in the slides but I'd like to see more insulation there. I plan to do as RC and Samantha did and line the outside walls (inside the cabinets) with roll insulation. I plan on doing that sometime this week. After spending a couple of months last winter in temperatures down to 14 with some days not getting above 21, there's too much cold air coming off those walls. I'm also going to shove as much insulation as I can through that wiring hole behind the water heater (in our 3295RK) as there's no insulation at all between that rear wall and the rear cap. RC and Samantha dropped the bellypan on theirs and insulated that area. I'm going to try to just shove insulation in there best I can then insulate on the inside walls against the back, if that makes sense.

It seems some folks have problems with things bouncing around more than other folks do even though they have the same models. So there has to be something different. I wonder since we're talking the back, most bounciest part, of the FW, if maybe one or more wheels are so out of balance to cause a lot of extra bouncing. Or maybe shocks not doing what they're supposed to do?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:53 PM   #31
Montana_805
Established Member

M.O.C. #805
We had a 2000 3250RK for four and a half years before getting our 2004 3650RK. We both enjoy having the rear kitchen because you are not having hubby or company in the aisle while cooking, etc. We had a few broken glasses when one cupboard door came open.But think we didn't close it properly. we put some foam cardboard across the front of the cupboard and use lots of shelf liner between the dishes. We do like all the room and especially the island in our new rig
Judy and Raymond
2004 3650RK Montana
2001 Ford 450 customized dually
Happy trails to all.
Montana_805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:22 AM   #32
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I love, love the 3650RK (step down kitchen with island) but was turned off since you can't walk thru to the kitchen with the hide-a-bed open (we have a 5yo and 13yo) and there isn't a closet for the washer/dryer except in your clothes closet. When they fix these issues we will look at it again.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:57 AM   #33
Montana_2364

M.O.C. #2364
you all are wonderful !!
I never thought about the hide a bed situation. We don't plan on taking family with us so our situation is different than yours. However, one of the kids or grandkids will go somewhere with us, so that is something that I need to consider
Montana_2364 is offline   Reply With Quote