Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #21
Miss Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15739
(UPDATE: 10/23/2015) - Touchdown in MD!!
By Mark Holmes — 17 minutes ago

Family / Friends-

Update. Just a quick update to let everyone know that mom and dad landed safely at BWI this afternoon. We took them straight to Crofton Care and Rehabilitation Center in Crofton, MD (2131 Davidsonville Rd). This is a residential subacute care facility that will provide dad with the therapy required (3+ hrs/day) to help build his strength back up to somewhat self-sufficiency, allowing us to move ahead with next steps in his day-by-day road to recovery.

Awesome Visit. We (Becky, my wife – Kim, kids – Sydney, London, and Roman) had a great visit with mom and dad, and each time I see and speak to dad, he looks and sounds better and better! He is still very sharp, perceptive, and even mustered a few grins behind his overgrown, bushy mustache!

Long Day. Having not slept a wink due to the early flight and long travel day, dad was ready to call it a night this evening around 8:30pm. Lord help him get some much-needed sleep. That being said, we can only pray that mom is able to sleep as well, having only laid down about 1 hour last night. Please encourage her to get some sleep now that she has more local help.

Outlook. He will likely remain at the care facility until he completes his PT, then we’ll focus on getting up to University of MD Hospital and/or Johns Hopkins for the next round in this adventure – “day-by-day,” as is dad’s new saying.

Thank You. A big THANK YOU to those who were able to help out down in Phoenix! From shuttling mom around, to helping move / plan / secure the RV, to traveling ridiculous distances to be there for both my mom and dad, to simply sending prayers and well wishes from afar – we are forever in your debt.

Cards. For those interested, any cards / etc. that you would like to send, please use their home address now: 584 Kevins Drive; Arnold, MD 21012.

Visiting. Visiting hours at the facility are 8am-8pm, but due to his therapy sessions, we’re not sure yet when the best time may or may not be. Hopefully, we’ll find out more tomorrow when the therapist arrives.

Priceless. I will leave you with some photos of some very happy grandchildren (especially the little redhead, Roman), reunited with their greatly-missed Grandpa and Grammie!

Miss Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #22
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our prayers continue.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:26 AM   #23
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Same here. God bless all of you.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #24
Miss Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15739
Slow But Certain Improvement @ Rehab - Sun., Oct., 25th, 2015
By Lynn Holmes — 5 hours ago

A few moments to take a deep breath & update all of our patient friends & family members while Chris is catching some much-needed Zzzzzz's this afternoon....
The past 3 days have seen us both in an exhausted state...either from lack of sleep & stress of long travel to yet another round of transfering medical facilities & reassessment & meeting another crew of healthcare providers, to the sometimes grueling physical & occupational therapies that are our primary focus right now in order to prepare him physically for what is to come next.
I realize that many of our local friends may wish to visit with him, but until I get a definite "Yes" from him, please continue to be patient. He was obviously delighted to see all of our family since our arrival, but rather quickly showed signs of exhaustion & promptly fell asleep after their departures. He really needs to conserve his energy to focus on his rehab right now, & even asked me to 'hold off a while longer' on inviting guests outside of the immediate family in to see him when I asked him earlier today, (knowing that it is a Sunday & folks might be less busy & available/wishing to stop in). While visitation hours here are very liberal (8 a.m. to 8p.m.)...., he has been 'folding' for the night by 7 or so, just as a 'heads up'). As of right now, unless something changes after speaking with some doctors tomorrow, he will continue here with his rehab until the end of this week. I will do my best to keep you updated.
Please keep those wonderful prayers coming on his (our) behalf, and know that he is working hard to regain his strength (weights & band), & endurance (machine that is a crossover between a stairstepper, recumbent bike, & x-trainer!), & balance/core strength (up to 8 min. already standing mostly unassisted in front of a parallel bar while simultaneously lifting weights!). Yeah, Chris! #128522; His speech is still soft, but certainly coherent. Progress IS being made!
Grateful hugs to everyone out there from both of us.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #25
Miss Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15739
More Steps In The Right Direction - Oct. 26, 2015
By Lynn Holmes — 1 hour ago

While it's been a quiet day here @ the rehab center, a lot was accomplished. #128524; First of all, Chris had an assessment by the speech therapist, followed by a good heart-pumping workout with the physical therapist. The dietician spoke with me asking how best to get him to eat more & review his likes & dislikes so as to increase his overall consumption for a better chance @ building up his muscle mass & overall strength. Then, I spoke with the administrative assistant to Dr. Graeme Worthwood (the director of neurosurgery oncology) @ the U of MD Hospital, & she arranged a phone call with the Dr. himself this afternoon. I will be meeting with him tomorrow morning @ 11 a.m. to discuss Chris' case & hopefully determine a list of his best referrals & suggested course of treatment, whether it be at U of MD or Johns Hopkins or even (Anne Arundel in Annapolis). Tomorrow Chris' therapy workouts will begin increasing in tempo & time allotted as he is gaining stamina & strength. At the moment, however, he is 'cat-snoozing' after we attended to some of his 'homework' exercises! #128521; So I'd best assist him to prepare for the night & be on my way home. One day at a time; one day at a time....
Old 11-05-2015, 02:57 AM   #26
Miss Vicki
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15739
There are more recent updates on the Caring Bridge site and also on the Chris Holmes Circle Facebook group.