Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Fire Extinguishers

A GOOD freind of mine just gave me some very nice new fire extinguishers.
1) 2.5#
1) 5.0 #
1) 10.0#

At least two will find their way into the Montana. Just got to figure out which ones I want where. Any thoughts on where to place them?
I was thinking leave the factory one in place, 5 or 2.5 in the bedroom, and the 10 pounder in the outside storage.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Put one in tow vehicle
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
near the stove as that is were a fire is mostly to occur.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

near the stove as that is were a fire is mostly to occur.
That's why I was leaving the stock one in place next to the entry door. 3 steps away, and it gives you a second or two to access the situation before acting. Plus that's all the soda bottle sized included one is good for. That's my thinking anyway.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grayghost03

Put one in tow vehicle
Your absolutly right. Size does matter here. 5 pounder is a little large for storage in the truck, but it's probably the best choice if I can find a good place to put it.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We have two larger extinguishers, one next to the kitchen and one in the bedroom (insert joke here). Seriously, if a fire ever broke out at night, I want a fighting chance to either put out the fire or buy enough time to get out.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Tom is exactly right the bedroom is a trap and having a way to fight your way out is well worth while. By the way, in my opinion, the stock one by the door could be better replaced with a quart of beer so you could water the fire yourself. Yes, mine is still there, but a real fire extinguisher is mounted next to the frig on the wall and that's only to get us out intact, not put out the fire.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I'm curious about everyone's thoughts as to fighting a fire inside our Montanas: Assuming there is a fire extinguisher in the main big compartment (outside of the bedroom in other words) be it the factory bottle or otherwise, who would take the time to grab that extinguisher and stop to fight the fire, and who would just exit the coach as quickly as possible?
I've already decided, that I will not even reach for the extinguisher. I'm not diverting my attention away from that exit for even 3 seconds. I'm simply exiting the door as fast as possible. I don't care about anything in that trailer but myself and my wife. There is one, and only one exception to this for me: A grease fire on the cook top, contained to a pan. I would probably attempt that one for a few seconds. Any other source of flame in the trailer is "get out now!" for us.
In the bedroom poses a different situation, but just slightly. Assuming we are awakened by the smoke detector(s) (I have 2), I would still exit the door if at all possible. The problem is, we sleep with the pocket slide door closed, so I won't know what is happening on the other side of that door without opening it, and that might be a fatal mistake. So, I am inclined to believe the safest thing is to bail out of the window if I suspect there are actually flames on the other side of the closed door.
We are living in an oven if a fire happens, and we are sleeping on the top shelf of that oven! Not a situation that lends itself to leisurely evacuation!
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:18 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts as to fighting a fire inside our Montanas: Assuming there is a fire extinguisher in the main big compartment (outside of the bedroom in other words) be it the factory bottle or otherwise, who would take the time to grab that extinguisher and stop to fight the fire, and who would just exit the coach as quickly as possible?
I've already decided, that I will not even reach for the extinguisher. I'm not diverting my attention away from that exit for even 3 seconds. I'm simply exiting the door as fast as possible. I don't care about anything in that trailer but myself and my wife. There is one, and only one exception to this for me: A grease fire on the cook top, contained to a pan. I would probably attempt that one for a few seconds. Any other source of flame in the trailer is "get out now!" for us.
In the bedroom poses a different situation, but just slightly. Assuming we are awakened by the smoke detector(s) (I have 2), I would still exit the door if at all possible. The problem is, we sleep with the pocket slide door closed, so I won't know what is happening on the other side of that door without opening it, and that might be a fatal mistake. So, I am inclined to believe the safest thing is to bail out of the window if I suspect there are actually flames on the other side of the closed door.
We are living in an oven if a fire happens, and we are sleeping on the top shelf of that oven! Not a situation that lends itself to leisurely evacuation!
Mark, fires come in different forms and sizes. From an electrical short to a leaky gas line and a host of things in between. If there are roaring flames present, I agree - get out and let it burn. On the other hand, if the fire is contained, say to a faulty fireplace or maybe a space heater left too close to flammable objects, I'll spend the 4 or 5 seconds it takes to put out the fire and save our investment.

Old trailers rightfully earned a reputation as fire traps due to the materials they were constructed with. Newer units are constructed with more fire resistant materials and aren't as dangerous as they used to be. That's not trying to downplay the potential lethalness of fire, it's just saying that saying you don't need to abandon ship at the first sign of smoke.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:22 AM   #10
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Mark N.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you. I have GOOD insurance and I'm not woried about saving the trailer. What I'm worried about is protecting myself and others. If there is a fire in the trailer, my first instinct is to head for the door. Right or wrong, that's probably what most poeple would do. Having an extinguisher inside the bedroom gives you an option to possably exit safely through the door. Using the emergency exit may be more dangerous.

I've had 2 occasions where I've pulled out the extinguisher from the outer compartment to assist others. Never had to use it, but I was ready. That's why I'm going to put the big 10 pound unit in my storage compartment.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
My large extinguisher is under the back seat in the truck. Both my DW and I know exactly where it is. We also have the small OEM extinguisher next to the stove. I will be buying another for the bedroom. As others have said "a fighting chance" just enough to get out safely. It's important to remember that smoke kills as well as flame and will rise to the bedroom 1st.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Get yourself another battery operated smoke detector for the living area...I don't trust electrical ones anyways. My wife thinks I'm nuts cause I got 4 smoke detectors for our little one story house..lol lol So have 2 in the Montana and I want to get one for the basement. Got 2, 5 pound extinguishers, one in the truck and one in the trailer. You can knock down a lot of fire with a 5 lb extinguisher. Plus there are those of us who think rushing into a burning structure is a good time....yeah, a little nuts but hey someone has to do it.....spent a lot of time hugging floors lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steelpony5555

Get yourself another battery operated smoke detector for the living area...I don't trust electrical ones anyways. My wife thinks I'm nuts cause I got 4 smoke detectors for our little one story house..lol lol So have 2 in the Montana and I want to get one for the basement. Got 2, 5 pound extinguishers, one in the truck and one in the trailer. You can knock down a lot of fire with a 5 lb extinguisher. Plus there are those of us who think rushing into a burning structure is a good time....yeah, a little nuts but hey someone has to do it.....spent a lot of time hugging floors lol lol
X2
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:54 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are not about to "fight a fire" in any RV except for a flash fire on the stove that we can catch and extinguish in a few seconds. We rely on good quality LOUD smoke alarms so that we may be alerted and get the H$%# out of the camper. We do have a extinguisher in the kitchen area and a big on in the bedroom. Their purpose is to give us the few seconds we may need to get out, not to fight any fire.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote