Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2014, 05:26 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Any day now....

....Vinnie will be ready. Been in the shop now for three weeks. The coolant problem was a blown head gasket between the coolant jacket and cylinders 5 & 7. Heads were not cracked, though the valves were found to be worn undersize at the stems. Not sure at all why this is-the mechanic and machine shop are both puzzled. Checked all the injectors while they were out. All were by-passing internally-explains my poor fuel mileage I guess. After all this, I'm hoping it runs like a new truck when I get it back. Mechanic believes the truck could have been abused before I bought it, causing the injector issue. He's confident with me running the Edge on the low settings that it did not do the damage. I knew when I bought it I would have to pay a repair bill or two, but the first and hopefully the last at $8500.00 is a little tough to choke down. On a positive note, I am thoroughly pleased with Cook's Diesel Repair. They've been great to deal with. Kept me informed on every step and gave me the options to decide for myself. Very impressed with the shop. When I stopped in after the truck was torn down, all major components were neatly laid out in the bed of the truck. All other parts were neatly laid out on a table in the order and position they were removed and being cleaned for reassembly. Just as I do when I do a major job. I'll be glad to have my truck back. I've been commuting with my brother to work and while I enjoy the conversation, I'm ready to drive myself to work!

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
The Dmax is a robust motor and can take a lot of beat'in although I have heard of some Dmax LBY owners or LB7 owners who run their tuners up too much and do not have ARP head stud bolts and stretch the head bolts getting blown head gaskets from time to time but not to many LTZ ,Sorry to hear about that gang, I am about to head out on a long trip pretty soon and I hope my old 2003 LB7 with 165k holds up as long as I do not run my tuner up too much and STRETCH the head bolts then I will blow my head gaskets and THAT would ruin Jimmy's trip
Old 02-07-2014, 03:30 AM   #3
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Last year I attended a seminar put on by Allison. The rep from Allison emphasized to be sure to check with them prior to installing any upgrade to the engine to be sure the transmission can take the extra torque.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Are you sure the Edge tuner didn't have something to do with this? I have read of other who have upgraded some engine parts (head bolts, exhaust plumbing) in order to support the new power capabilities provided by a tuner. Nevertheless, now with the new engine, hopefully it will be stronger. Do you know if the mechanics know and did some of these upgrades to improve durability and strength?

I am not familiar with the long term ramifications and I'm not trying to be the doctor here, but I'm just posting what I've heard or read about some owner actions. On the other hand I'm sure there's many who have done nothing and things are doing okay.

Best of luck with your new ride. Maybe it's now your turn to drive if you want your brother's company. You were very fortunate to have him be able to help you in this way.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
It has been talked about many times on Duramax forums on how much HP/torque the stock Allison can handle when in Towing tune 80- 100 lbs of torque is all it can handle MAX without upgrades, people that go more than that (and many do with incredible gains) upgrade the Head studs and trans etc.. Bottom line is Watch out with tuners with Towing and watch your EGT's
Old 02-09-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Are you sure the Edge tuner didn't have something to do with this? I have read of other who have upgraded some engine parts (head bolts, exhaust plumbing) in order to support the new power capabilities provided by a tuner. Nevertheless, now with the new engine, hopefully it will be stronger. Do you know if the mechanics know and did some of these upgrades to improve durability and strength?

I am not familiar with the long term ramifications and I'm not trying to be the doctor here, but I'm just posting what I've heard or read about some owner actions. On the other hand I'm sure there's many who have done nothing and things are doing okay.

Best of luck with your new ride. Maybe it's now your turn to drive if you want your brother's company. You were very fortunate to have him be able to help you in this way.
The engine he has should be good for all but the most stout of tunes (100hp+) from what I've read. Of course even the stock tune can cause engine damage if the truck is abused, but I highly suspect this was not the case here.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote