Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Popping sound under shower

This morning waking up and asking my wife, why she was popping popcorn at 1 am. She replied, she wasn't, then noticing she was still in bed. The popping sound was loud. I raced out of bed and pulled the laundry basket out and heard it was coming from under the shower? Electrical?????????? I ran outside and pulled the 50 amp cord off the power source and it stopped?? No smoke, no smell of burning rubber, no heat or any fire simmering indications?? I stayed up on fire watch for an hour and all seems good for now. It's 2 and back to bed with the fire extinguisher next to me. Yes, smoke detector. I will read forum for any ideas or help and research it this morning. Has there been any history of the popcorn sound in the past with the Monty's??? I have a 2007, 3500RL.

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Was it multiple pops or just 1? My EMS system makes kind of a pop when it shuts down. Jim
Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Do you have your w/h on electric? It can make that noise.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Immediate thoughts would be sudden release of water from the shower head hitting the fiberglass or the converter if located close to the shower area, particularly since you indicated it stopped as soon as you cut the power. Another possible cause is the fuse/circuit breaker panel, which in our unit is under the coat closet backing up to the bathroom wall.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #5
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
inverter under the steps shorting out.......ours did same thing. They had it full of sawdust from construction, replaced under warranty. Had to open it up to see the sawdust getting burned..........strange.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would agree with those above, it sounds like a problem with the converter or breaker panel. You'll have to take the basement wall out to access that and see. if your rig is under warranty, call Keystone customer service and get it to a dealer pronto.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nunya

inverter under the steps shorting out.......ours did same thing. They had it full of sawdust from construction, replaced under warranty. Had to open it up to see the sawdust getting burned..........strange.
That's my guess. Relay popping in and out.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
It sounds to me like there could have been an electrical surge. This summer I was having some issues with my generator not running right. In the process of working on the generator, I revved up the engine a little to see if it would smooth out. My wife came running out of the trailer shouting about a popping noise coming from under the stairs. I realized immediately that I hadn't turned the switch off to keep the generator from generating, and by revving the engine I had sent a surge of power through the trailer. I removed the wall in the basement, pulled the converter, and opened it up. There was nothing that looked burnt, and there was no smell of burnt electrical components. I put it back together, started the generator, and tested the converter. I must have lucked out because it worked just fine and has been working ever since.

I would suggest you pull the converter and check it out. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, take it to someone who knows what they are looking for.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Well, the Yuma,Arizona sun is out and I was able to check the problem. It appears the generator/shoreline converter switch was the culprit. I pulled stuff out of the bay and plugged the power. Heard the noise coming from the black metal box and unplugged the power. Opened the box and re-plugged the power and noticed it was the main convertor switch. The sounds were those of a weak or worn switch. Off to the electrical supply house tomorrow and get another. Really glad it wasn't the power convertor. Another set of stars in alignment for me, lol. Thank everyone for their input.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad you found it. If you get up to the Imperial National Wildlife Refuge stop in and say hi. We'll be here until April.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Sorry Dick, leaving Yuma first thing in the morning for San Diego, grandsons graduation of Marine Corp basic on Friday. Visiting and meeting family all week, lol. Going to electrical supply house for internal parts of generator/shoreline transformer switch>>Esco, ES 50m - 65n. Looks like an easy fix except for laying on my side facing the wrong direction. I'll let you know how it goes, lol.