Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #21
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I understand and with all this research, I'm sure you are gonna have the best design for you when you're done. I hope you post your solution. I have a feeling it's gonna be a good one and I'm gonna experience a bit of envy.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:52 AM   #22
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Tim,
If you don't mind going "low tech" I've got a couple of diesel cans (plastic or composite) that you are welcome to have. That would give you enough to get to the next town down the road. Dennis
Tim, You and I are thinking alike here. Since we are weekenders at present a couple of extra cans gets us to point B when needed. Living in the southeast fuel prices are decent except in NC. I usually pour the cans in the tank the first day and then decide if I need to refill cans later. Cost of my installing auxiliary tank would take a long time to recoup.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Low tech solutions are great by themselves, but many are okay with paying $$$ for the convenience which is experienced NOW and not something that needs to be recouped later. The recouping is only a bonus in this case. I'm guessing a solution can be justified by more than recouping a cost.

Personally, I wouldn't like the lifting and potential mess or smells from having to refill repeatedly with a 5 gallon fuel can and would easily justify the cost and convenience of a larger auxiliary tank. Then there's also refilling and lifting the cans, too. It sure sounds like timandsusan are ready to pay for the convenience. So many others have done this too.

I decided that I would like to replace my 38 gallon with a 50 gallon and not mess with extra cans or an aux tank, but not until we travel a lot more. I currently have about 400 miles of range and we currently don't venture out more than 600 miles one way and this only require one easy fillup.

I had a brief job (3 months) towing trailers to locations for a living and the larger tank would have been very nice to have to avoid some of the pricier stations out there! If I had stayed with the job longer this would have been a viable investment. But I quit too soon and don't feel the need. Again, I look forward to reading timandsusan's solution.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #24
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Final Solution! Transfer Flo 30 gallon steel tank. Yes, more expensive (X2) but better for the job. Thanks for the fun discussion.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you are happy, and Momma is happy, then what choice do have but to be happy! Sounds like you thought out your decision with reason, therefore it has to be the right decision! Well Done!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #26
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
This adds only 220 lbs of fuel plus whatever the tank itself weighs. Not bad, and you've more than doubled your range! In fact, it's better than mine and I have a 400 - 450 mile range with my 38 gallon tank. Even after spending all those dollars on the aux tank, there's money made in your mind not having to stop and refuel as often with 56 gallons of onboard fuel.

Are you gonna install it yourself? I hope you post pictures.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I added a Transfer-Flo 60 gallon tank with a gravity feed, and am very happy with the results. I now carry 90 gallons, and it's about $350 or so to fill up. This has greatly increased the travel miles between fill-ups. From MA to FL, I only have to refuel once.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #28
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
On the fill up issue. I plan on taking my wife to view the impact! It will be a blast watching her watch the diesel pump! It is spend it now or spend it later. It will be spend it now and then do it again but a little later.
We will be traveling out West more and being able to drive without any fuel issues will make the traveling much easier.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote