Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
X2 X3 X4.........X100 ??

What is the MOC consensus?

Is this type of post helpful? Are you one of those who have lots of space on your computer, don't care how much bandwidth this takes out of the MOC; or this type of post doesn't bother your loss of time that you use scrolling though this type of information? The fact that so-and-so agrees or doesn't agree is helpful even though they offer no pertinent or educational information?

Just wondering about your thoughts. I've been thinking about agreeing or disagreeing with every single post on the MOC with an X....just want to be helpful for those who appreciate that type of help.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I try and stay within the guidelines set forth on the forum.
If someone wants to agree or disagree with a post
then how they respond is up to them IMHO.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Many times posters will get several different ideas of how to fix or deal with a problem. By posting X's your letting the person asking for help or advise know that more than one member handles the situation that way. I personally appreciate those responses because if I'm trying to find out what to do, I usually go with the idea most popular first and then move down the list if I still have the problem.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I think that is a decision best left to each individual person if he/she wants to respond with an X with no attempt to encourage or discourage!
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I actually like the X2 responses. After having met several MOC members at this year's Spring and Fall Rallies I have observed that some members are wired/geared to help others find solutions to issues and they enjoy doing so. For example just to name only a few, when John Kohl, Jim Fischer, and Dick Montgomery do an X2 it registers with me as significant for their advice has helped me previouly. Also, sometimes it helps cut down on the chatter when "everything has been said, not everyone has said it".
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I can see some value in it, while at the same when it is used excessively as some posters do, the value quickly diminishes. Personally, if I agree with some one, usually the only time I would post an agreement is when I feel I can add something substantial and useful to the thread. Robbie has a good point!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If we are looking for a majority opinion the X's help. When we are confused or need ideas, in my opinion X's do help me make up my mind.

If 20 of you do it in manner "a" and 2 do it in manner "b", the likely hood is I am gonna go with manner "a".
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
If your goal is to go from MOC Enthusiast to MOC Fanatic faster than anyone before you, then it's probably helpful to the cause.

Sort of like someone responding "I have no clue what your problem is but someone will be along shortly that can answer your question or help with your problem".

Merry Christmas to All.
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Recumbent

I actually like the X2 responses. After having met several MOC members at this year's Spring and Fall Rallies I have observed that some members are wired/geared to help others find solutions to issues and they enjoy doing so. For example just to name only a few, when John Kohl, Jim Fischer, and Dick Montgomery do an X2 it registers with me as significant for their advice has helped me previouly. Also, sometimes it helps cut down on the chatter when "everything has been said, not everyone has said it".
X2.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Kind of agree with Mike on this one.
Or should I say x2!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

If your goal is to go from MOC Enthusiast to MOC Fanatic faster than anyone before you, then it's probably helpful to the cause.

Sort of like someone responding "I have no clue what your problem is but someone will be along shortly that can answer your question or help with your problem".

Merry Christmas to All.
Mike

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am also in favor of the X's. And further comment is not always necessary.
If one person describes what he/she does and no one else supports it, then you wonder about it. But if several follow up with X2, X3, ... with or without additional comment then you realize that is the more common approach to what ever the subject is.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Re: Sort of like someone responding "I have no clue what your problem is but someone will be along shortly that can answer your question or help with your problem"

SOOO, if you post a question, which is important to you as poster, and you are like locked in your trailer or something, and you sorta need that answer, and no one answers for like ohhhhh, 3 or 4 hours, and you are still locked in that trailer, like, wouldn't you just maybe wonder if anyone was out there in MOC land reading your screams for help???

I will admit that this statement is probably not necessary if the OEM is only 2 minutes old, but, if it is 2 days old, and the campground owners are getting ready to tow your rig away cause you are still locked in, wouldn't it be nice to know there really may be help in MOC land??

I have written such a line when I see someone post and no one, and I mean NO ONE responds for a day or two or three or - - -

Just saying - -

It is nice to acknowledge the OEM's post and presence in MOC Land, and that is especially nice if the OEM is a newbie to the forum.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I don't find the "X's" helpful. In fact often I look at the X post and wonder which post they are referring to. Of course then they start copying the post and add their X to it and that just repeats the info and takes up space. I find actual informational posts much more helpful than just an X. Happy Trails, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I am afraid I am in the "no" to any and all X posts camp. I have no problem with a comment that affirms a previous post as something you have had success with, however posting an X' anything is not helpful to me.

I am one of those folks who tries my own idea's first, then reads the instructions, or asks for help, just ask my wife. No X's here.

Guess I won't reach the upper echelons of the MOC very quickly.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I hope how many X's I type in a post is the biggest thing I ever have to be concerned with. For the record, how many x's or x2 or x3 etc. doesn't bother me at all.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
xx....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Let me add this, it don’t bother me to see someone using the X2 or even X3 in their posts. It will sometimes confirm that others agree with what has been stated. However, it lingers in the back of my mind that somewhere there was a ruling on the forum about not making short postings. I wasn’t able to find it so perhaps it would be good if an administrator or someone of higher authority will make a comment on this subject.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I like them when they are used to recommend a specific product or brand. I see no reason to repeat the comments but knowing others agree with them is a big help to me.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Now that the world did not end on the 21st I guess we have to find a new earth shattering problem to deal with. So if X'2354566987452 is the worst we have to worry about I'm all for it.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think Robbie is just getting finger lazy or his old arthritic fingers are not working well. . Now that I'm done ragging on Robbie, I will say I sometimes have problems identifying who the X's are referring to. Many posts seem to go on different paths (postjacking?), and sometimes hard to id the original problem.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote