Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
2005 Ford Powerstroke - Transmission

OK, Powerstroke owners. It is time for me to have the transmission maintenance service completed. I have on Ford dealer saying that would be a transmission flush while different dealer says that the torque converter does not have a drain plug and it will require dropping the pan etc... to perform the service. The pan flush is $480 while a flush is $ 220. So which is the proper maintenance? I have been unable to find anything online or in the owners manuals that states which process is the proper process. Thanks in advance

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
bw2,
Have you tried ford-truck.com ? They have a forum that covers just about anything you could want to know about your Ford truck.

We just did the transmission thing on our rig. We just dropped the pan to drain the fluid. Then cleaned it (ours had a little magnet to catch metal parts) and re-installed and put in fluid. It certainly was NOT a 480 dollar process. It wasn't even a 220 dollar process. I guess the Ford dealers know what they are talking about but those numbers seem very high. Of course I have the older 7.3 engine and transmission. Ours is a 2002 model. The newer stuff is probably different. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Hamrad,

I have visited multiple sites and have not found a definite answer. Some say flush others say drop pan and some say do both. So right now I am totally confused. I will pay for the service to be done as I do not want to do the work myself. I just want to have the proper service done and no more than is to be done.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This is just an "old school" take on your question. The dealer is correct in stating there is no drain plug on your tranny converter. A cost cutting measure implemented some time ago. The new approach to changing the tranny fliud is the "flush" method. It's a lot less messy and is way easier for the service department to make money on the deal. It does theoretically change all the tranny fluid including the converter ... it doesn't change your tranny filter which to me is just as important as changing the fluid. It also does not allow whomever to examine the pan contents for indications of excesive wear (sludge). I'd prefer the drop the pan method ... the @ couple of quarts of oil left in the converter is acceptable to me. As you stated ... you don't want to do the change yourself, so I'd recommend shopping around. I'm a wrench spinner ... I'd pass out while writing the check for even $220.00
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I don't have the exact truck as you and as you can see in my signature its a 2000 Ford 7.3 and I just had the pan droped and new filter and synthetic oil for transmission and it cost me $150.00 at Oil Express. Also after a couple days they wanted me back to check the torque on the bolts, and check fluid level and no extra cost. I also went to the Ford dealer here and there cost was $280.00 for the same thing!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
as a mechanic I have seen what a back flush can do. I have seen many a filter destroyed with improper back flushing. If i were me I would drop the pan and change the filter and replace the fluid that is in the pan.
Eldon Davis
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Thanks for the responses. From some of the reading on the various forums, this transmission does not have a filter but a "screen". There is an external filter that is to be replaced and the lines flushed. I have the extended warranty with Ford and I have used Ford to insure they honor any problems I might have with the truck. Maybe time to look into a transmission shop for the change.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
On my 2005 6.0 I had an external trans filter (spin-on). However when I had my transmission serviced at two different ford dealerships, they did not drop the pan, but flushed out all the fluid, to include the converter, with an external machine that somehow forced out all the fluid. The flushes, with external filter changes ran somewhere in the neigborhood of $270-290 including fluid. Ran the truck until I bought the 2011, and never had any transmission issues, so whatever they did, kept the transmission in great shape. If I remember correctly, I had it serviced every 30,000 Miles.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bob if they do it rite they will disconnect the return line and hook to the flush machine and run the truck that way the entire sys gets clean. out with the old in with the new. my dodge converter holds 6to8 qts so that would be alot to leave in there. that being said I have never had a trans flush even in our co trucks. I may do it with the new one.
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I'm not a Ford owner, but I have worked in a dealership. That person sitting in the write up area usually knows less about service and repair than the average person. They know how to "work" you for a higher ticket. Check your owners manual for a maintenance schedule. There should be one for normal driving and for towing or heavy use. If it isn't in the owners manual, ask where their maintenance information comes from and make them show you in print. This is a subject very dear to me-there are way too many "mechanics" out there that just want to make more money off you because you look like you might have it to spend. All good mechanics earn a good check because they are good at repairing vehicles-not because they are good at selling work.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #11
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Kevin

That is just my concern. I want it done properly and correctly, as from the questions I have had, what is the proper method? It looks like a few more calls to other Ford dealers to see what I get as an answer. I tried the customer service line at Ford, but they were of no help. I will keep looking for a definite answer before I have the work done. I want to have the service completed to ensure the warranty remains intact and if there is a problem, Ford will complete the work under the warranty.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I had the Ford dealer flush the transmission on my '07 F350 6.0 when it was due, mileagewise. I don't know exactly how they did it. But as Mike and Bobby said, I do know they connected it to their flush machine.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
When I still had my 2006 King Ranch I had the trans serviced. They hooked it up to a machine and completely flushed it. Then changed the filter which is very close to the radiator in the truck. The interesting thing is, I insisted they change the filter as the owners manual called for it to be changed. The guy who did the service told me he had flushed plenty of these transmissions but mine was the first one he had changed the filter in. The filter didn't even look dirty. On one of the Ford diesel forums I occassionally frequent there have been discussions about the fact that most dealers don't change that filter. In fact most dealers drop the pan rather than flush. This in spite of the fact the owners manual states it should be flushed. This leaves you with a converter full of dirty fluid in the system. Sadly all dealers aren't equal in the level of care they give our vehicles. Maybe laziness or maybe incompetence. Who knows?
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Okay, here is what I know for sure. When you purchase a "flush" it really isn't so. It really should be called a fluid exchange. The "flush" machine is hooked in series with your vehicle, outlet line to the machine and machine into the radiator or cooler inlet. Sometimes there is an additive put in the transmission fluid prior to this. Then the vehicle is ran while exchanginging the fluid from the transmission with that placed in the reservoir of the machine. When the reservoir is empty, the process is complete. The convertor gets "flushed" in this manner. It is at this point when the pan should always be dropped after a "flush". The reason being whether you have a filter or not, an inspection should be made for debris. In any event, the pan needs to be cleaned of the debris that is normally left after "flushing" with an additive. One should NEVER "flush" a transmission without dropping the pan. Change the filter without "flushing" ok-"flush" without filter not ok. Exchanging the fluid in this way can and does dislodge debris. When metal is found in the pan, that is cause for concern. Gray matter that is the consistency of graphite is normal as long as the fluid has not turned black. Some companies that supply the additives for "flushing" have a friction modifier which can be added at the end. My general rule has always been, look at the fluid-is it a nice ruby red? Is there sediment on the dipstick (this is the graphite looking stuff in the pan)? Do I have any pan gasket leaks? If all this checks ok, then I do just what is recomended by the manufacturer. In my case, A spin-on filter is recomended every 15,000 miles. I do not have a filter in the pan, only a screen. Also worth noting, does your truck use synthetic fluid. If it does, the period of time between services should be longer. Synthetic fluid does not as readily absorb particulates, it carries it to the filter. All GM vehicles since 2007 use Dexron VI, which is synthetic. I hope to have cleared up some of the mystery behind transmission service.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Bob; I ran my 2006 to 88000 miles and never changed the oil in the trane.
sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
According to our transmission tech, he said that there is no drain plug on the torque converter and even if there was, there is no access hole on the bottom of the transmission case.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I watched the guy do my trannie flush. The old fluid was pumped out and you could see it as it went inot an area of the machine where the fluid was passing through a glass tube. The Ford trannie does have synthetic fluid. I had absolutely no problems with the trannie in my 2006 and I believe the truck had about 60,000 miles on it when the trannie was serviced.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #18
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Dave
Did you have this done by Ford?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #19
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
Yes it was done at Long-Lewis of the Shoals in Muscle Shoals Alabama. They are the #1 Ford dealer in the U.S. in customer satisfaction. They have taken very good care of me and my trucks.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #20
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Dave, my 2005 F250 broke down in South Birmingham a few years back, it was repaired at Long-Lewis. That was a great service shop and dealer. Very professional and they came across as very caring with my plight.