Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Tires part deux

We've been in Enchanted Trails in Albuquerque (on I-40) for over three weeks now. Literally hundreds of rigs have been thru here during that time heading for RGV or AZ mostly on one of two night stays. We're leaving tomorrow to try and beat the wind storm down to Deming and so I was out adjusting the air in my tires when it occurred to me that I had never even seen anyone checking their tires let alone using an air pump the whole time we've been here. We've been working during the day, but we walked the park in the am before we left for work at 10 and we walked the park at night before it got dark so you would think we should have seen someone working on tire pressure. Now I'm sure a lot of them have monitors, but due to the altitude and temperature changes I always have to adjust something when we arrive here. On every forum I belong to the folks who report tire issues always say they have the pressure right. Do you suppose all the ones who aren't checking are the ones that never have tire issues

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I check air pressure EVERY time before heading out...most of the time I have not had to adjust more than one or two psi. Given the problems I have seen mentioned on this site and others relative to "exploding" tires, I think it makes sense to check often. What other folks decide to do is their business, except when they happen to be travelling in front of me! In that case, I wish they would exercise some caution and check their tires too.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I usually check mine before I head out on a long trip. I have had one drop down to 70 psi and never had a problem. Would I drive on a Marathon at 70 probably not, but I do not fret as bad on my LT's. If they get below 70 psi I feel I can visually see that. I do a walk around at every stop for fuel where on pavement it would be obvious if a tire was lower then the others. I may get one of those thermal temperature gauges some time here to make it more accurate. Unless I have had a problem mine usually don't lose more then 5 psi a year in sitting and many short and 1 or 2 long trips scattered in that year.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think we have 2 problems with tires. The first is ST tires. Like Dick has brought up many times they have almost no reserve, they just aren't heavy enough. And the second problem is inflation , You have got to keep them pumped up. I have serious doubts that speed is a problem with S speed rated LT tires. If speed was the problem why aren't our truck tires going bad. Who has had a LT tire on their trailer or truck blow out? S rated LT tires are speed rated for 112 MPH. If the tires weren't safe they would not be rated for 112 MPH. I have a hard time believing 75 MPH, if they are properly inflated is hurting them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
We always used to check TV and trailer tire pressure before moving to a new location but eventually got a TPMS. In the five years we've had it, the system has picked up two separate occurrences of slow leakage that developed after being mobile. One was a nail and the other a screw. Both times I installed the spare before the tire deflated enough to be noticeable. I still check pressure before departure, but from the cab of the truck.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
I check tire pressure and condition of the tires before heading out for the trip. During the trip my TPMS keeps me informed of the tire pressure and I visually inspect the tires pretty much every day.

I was really worried when I had to run over a pretty large road gator. We pulled off at the next rest area, and to my suprise, no damage was done other than leaving some extra rubber on the belly of the Monty. I wiped my brow and said a prayer after that one!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Dick:
You are the exception rather than the rule. Most people only think about their equipment when it fails. How long did it take to require truck drivers to do at least a visual inspection of their rig before moving it, and make them legally responsible for not doing so? 75% of the cars that came into our garage for oil changes were low on air in the tires!
I do think that the members of the MOC maintain their equipment better than the
general population based on the various posts
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would agree with the MOC members being better then most. What surprises me is here in Albuquerque most folks have just left the midwest or Southern Cal and the difference in altitude normally means you have to let some air out when you arrive. When we arrived only the G614's were within tolerance on pressure. Both the car and the truck needed air let out of them and I can't let air out of 8 tires and not overshoot it and have to put some back in in at least one. Since we're leaving here for lower altitudes I want them at the top limit when we leave then maybe I won't have to mess with them when we get lower so I was adjusting them again today.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I am reminded of an issue that developed many years ago. It involved Ford Explorers and Firestone tires. Anyone recall all the publicity on the terrible crashes caused by the tires failing making the suv flip over? The fingers pointed at Ford for vehicle design failures and Firestone for faulty tire production. It caused lots of bad feelings and law suits.

But when you actually sit down and study the incidents the facts point to other causes, i.e. overloaded vehicles, low tire pressure, and high speed. I certainly did not do the research but I did read some articles about the investigation into the problem. It was determined that a large percentage of the accidents were the result of poor maintenance of the tires and/or overloaded vehicles. Speed also played into the equation.

People are people. We RVer's are more aware of tire problems than the general motorist but some of us (myself included) forget, or are too busy, or in a hurry. Fate deals us a bad hand now and again. When we drop our guard the chance of Murphy's Law increases. In most cases it's not the 'bad tire' or the faulty axles; it's fate. Just stay vigilant, don't rush through the check list......take care of your equipment. And check those tires as often as you can!
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Slufoot733 wrote:
Quote:
quote:People are people. We RVer's are more aware of tire problems than the general motorist but some of us (myself included) forget, or are too busy, or in a hurry. Fate deals us a bad hand now and again. When we drop our guard the chance of Murphy's Law increases. In most cases it's not the 'bad tire' or the faulty axles; it's fate. Just stay vigilant, don't rush through the check list......take care of your equipment. And check those tires as often as you can!
I agree with Kevin here. There is no doubt that some tires are better than others, however I think if we are honest with ourselves, a good portion of not only the tire problems but others we encounter are due to our lack of attention to details. On my previous fifth wheel I had “Trail America” tires from the factory, our second trip which was a 1600 mile 4 day run to Arizona, during which I did a quick visual on the tires at each rest stop and before leaving each day. I had inflated each tire to the “dealer” recommended pressure before leaving home and thought all was well.

Upon our arrival at the RV park in Yuma I was horrified to see that one tire actually had worn down to the wire braid, it still had the same air pressure as I had put in it before leaving home. This tire was likely miles from exploding, in this instance luck was on my side.

I pulled out my manual and read the information on the tires, I then checked the decal on the unit which gave me “Cold tire Pressure”. That was 80 psi and before leaving the RV park to head home I inflated all 4 tires to 80 psi. No more problems on the factory replaced tire or any of the other ones. It simply was under inflated and that was not the fault of the tire. I should have known what the pressure should have been and “not” listened to the dealer who told me to run 65 lbs in them.

I have Goodyear Marathons now on my 2012 Monty and have about 5000 miles on them, I have carried 80 psi (Cold tire Pressure) since I purchased the unit and although there is wear on the tread of the tires that one would not expect on a passenger car or truck after only 5000 miles, the wear seems consistent on all 4 tires. My unit was pulled a distance of about 2200 miles from the factory to the dealer before I got it, I have no way of knowing if that wear occurred during those miles or after I purchased it.

We will be heading for Arizona in January and I will recheck the tires before we leave to ensure they are inflated to 80 psi, I will visually check the tires at each stop and I will certainly be keeping my fingers crossed that my diligence will bring me better results than others have had with these tires.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I check ours frequently. When we had the $2,200 blowout that took out the side of a slide, I had checked the tires less than an hour previously.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
All you can do is the best you can do. After that you just have to make sure you have insurance and savings.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kab449

I do think that the members of the MOC maintain their equipment better than the
general population based on the various posts
For me it's a matter of paranoia. Having had so many tire problems with the Marathon and Mission tires, I am truly paranoid. However, after 2 1/2 years of event free use of the G614's, I'm beginning to lose that paranoia. I still check those tires, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote