Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Strange happenings

I discovered that my kitchen slide tilts out from the top on right hand turns and right hand cloverleaf exchanges. I saw it a couple of times before, but didn't know what to do. On this trip, the tilt was so severe that it knocked the trim off the top of the slide over the refrigerator.

I called my dealer service manager, a friendly and helpful person of integrity. Jim told me where to look under the slide and we discussed how to adjust the slide. I did what he said, but still could push the top of the retracted slide outward. No more adjustment could be done because the seal was beginning to gap starting from the bottom of the slide which would allow the slide to leak while traveling.

I called Lippert. A service tech and I went over the problem, what I did, the outcome, and discussed other options. After our discussion, I purchased an adjustable "slide lock". It is a bar placed between the wall and the retracted slide preventing the tilt of the slide.

I don't really like this solution, but it is better than having the trim torn off the top of the slide. It is possible that the hole into which slide was set is too large allowing the slide to tilt outward. The slide lock is all that is possible after all adjustment has been used. Some RVs are built with slide lock as part of the standard installation. The kitchen slide is the only slide affected.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry to here you're having the problem! We had the opposite problem. When I took our new rig into Keystone customer service because I thought I had the slide breaker problem when trying to get my main slide out they found that the hole was cut too small and had to take the slide out and recut the hole. If they can cut one too small they can certainly cut one too big.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Stiles, I had a similar problem . Sometimes the kitchen slide would slide out about 4 ins. Finally I realized it was only after sliding the slides out part way , such as at a rest stop , then started fully extending them , no more problem. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Isn't it amazing, that with all the modern technology,laser measurment tools,computer controlled saws,etc: that they still can't make two holes the same size??? As Rich has been stating in his post on quality control, how in the world is this still happening ? Am I glad the auto companies didn't take lessons from the RV manufacturers...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Have you ever looked at the uneven gaps between body panels on cars. They are terrible. Stiles has this been a ongoing issue or just started? Could be alittle frame sag that is starting to show up. Seems if the hole was to large it would have showed up earlier. Just a thought
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Funny, we were watching RV with Robin Williams last night and saw his slide pop out on a turn. First time I had caught this. It got me to wondering if it was a Hollywood stunt or a Gilligan assembly problem.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Following a new Jayco Pinacale, last week on I 5, at Red Bluff exit, two slides on down hill side, tilted from the top about 4-6 inches, out of docked position. Looked in mirror to see if mine were in place, they were fine! My previous TT closet slide, tilted on extreme inclines. That RV came with slide locks, just never used them.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
We had that problem with our 3400RL, except, while making the turn and the slide tipped out, the cat's bowl slid under the slide while it was tipped out. When we completed the turn, and the slide tried to come back to level, it landed on the bowl and stayed at a weird angle. I made a slide lock.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
To clarify for some, the slide is not coming out. It is tilting out at the top. It remains tight at the bottom. This is not a hydraulic system problem.

This is not a recent problem, only recently discovered and identified. I had problems with the trim on the kitchen slide previously. I thought it was some kind of poor construction issue. However, this event caused me to connect the dots as to what had happened.

Tomorrow will be our first trip after buying a air nailer and putting it all back together. We will see how the slide lock works.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote