Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Direct TV hates Old people!!

Elder abuse; the final exploitation. Direct TV, you should be ashamed of yourself.
The mean company sells and half-installs their equipment in our RV’s, knowing we use them on the road, when those of us give who them the information that we do not have their equipment at our stick-houses, this is our permanent address. Even when at a RV park for a month, they won’t come to us when we have a problem.
If your billing address is different from your service address, you are out of luck!
We spent hours on the phone talking to them when we were in Loveland, after exhausting everything they had in their little books in their little cubicle, they told us we should have someone come out and check the system. Someone? I’m thinking that would be them. Nope. Not them.
I saw a beat-up old pickup entering the campground one day, had a satellite dish and a bunch of junk in the back of his little truck. He headed to the back of the RV park, I hopped on my bike and chased him down. I gave him our site number and asked him to come by when he finished.
He showed us how to reset settings on the set-up guide, after power is interrupted with the portable dish, that was all it was.
You would think the little person with their little book in their little cubicle would have told us that.
Nope, they hate old people..

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yup, that's DirectTV. Sorry for your trials.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Sorry for your problems. If misery likes company... I have been lied to by three reps. Onetime I thought I needed a service rep. and was told it would cost me for the rep and I would have to pay for all equipment that needed to be replaced, I was told I would violate our contract if I adjusted the dish, when the install guy set me up, he ran the cable thru a window and would not hook up thru the camper... I will stop now.
When my contract is up I will choose another way.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Ozz, did the person you spoke to even speak English? Most of those cubicles aren't even in the US. You need to get to their Retension Department, the folks responsible keeping you as a Customer. They are generally pretty knowledgeable and can make deals, like free or greatly reduced pricing on service and equipment. I'm lucky, worked in the Electronics Industry for 40 plus years with even a small time with a TV Cable Company, so I understand most of the workings, so I've been able to keep ours running under all conditions.
And besides, a young Man such as yourself, can't be old (LOL)
Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Stiles, thanks buddy. It is water under the bridge now, the past 3 sites have been tree-less and the automatic rooftop dish is super. Once I found the secret, I was good-to-go, don't know why the slugs at Direct didn't help more.
camper4, I can identify.. sorry for your problems.
Michelle you are sweet. Like I told Stiles, once I found what to reset, I was good. The idiot at our C.G. kept flipping ALL the breakers off when one customer had an electrical problem, so resetting was often and annoying.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
DISH Network, so far so good. But ours is an RV extension to our home account.
I have called DISH 4 times now about the RV setup. First time to get the new box activated. Three additional times as we travel to have the local channels reprogrammed to the nearest local city when we were out of our home area. Each time I got a very good English speaking rep on the line. Twice a nice lady making small talk as she helped mentioned that she was in Denver. Maybe all the DISH customer service reps are in the US? One guy did have a bit of what seemed to be middle east accent, but still very clear English speaking. Each time the reps were very quick and efficient in getting done what I needed done.
Haven't had a real problem with it yet, so don't know how that response may be.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OZZ, they don't hate old people, just you!!! Smiling, of course!! I have had DirecTV for over three years and have had mixed results calling them. Once you learn the system it is not so bad. We even opted to transfer our service to our new stick home in AZ rather than going with a local cable company, as we heard their service was not so great. I recently called them to drop the "Premier" service to save some money, they said they would knock $50.00 off our current bills and allow me to keep the Premier service. They want me to call back in Dec to reevaluate. Not a bad deal. Marked the calendar to call them back in Dec. We'll wait and see what they do then.....

Glad you and the missus are enjoying yourselves. If you ever get to AZ, look us up.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Please don't think Dish is any better. Dish Network punishes us because we live in rural Alaska. We have Dish at the stick house and I swear, it's like dealing with the devil when you talk to one of "them". When my contract is up, they can figure out how to get their equipment. I will be finished.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Since the service is tied to the receiver, you would think they would service the account wherever the receiver is located!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
One would think that. Not an unreasonable idea at all.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Icehouse has got it correct.

We switched from Dish to Direct. Direct is better than dish but not much.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never had a problem with Directtv in the 11 years we have had them. We just had a entire home upgrade and install.1 DVR,3 HD receivers.Slimelime 3s swm. Professional install. I think their customer service is in the USA as we never had a problem understanding them. Lucky I guess....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! try getting a portable dish, hit the road and have a service issue... different game.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OZZ, One of the problems I had was essentially the same as you. I bought a portable dish, couldn't get a signal and had to call a service rep out. BECAUSE I was in an RV, it was not a DirecTV rep, but a private tech who fixed the problem. I only had the one dish problem. Another time the receiver went out, (the card was burned), had to get a private tech to certify the card was TU before they would send another receiver and card. I just figured trials and tribulations of being on the road. Of course, it would have been nice if they had owned up to the problem from the beginning.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
See, that's the problem. They want your money for the equipment and service each month. At no time did anyone tell us that we would be on our own when we hit the road, they never told us we couldn't get any response if we had an issue.
All you get is some lightly trained ex-Pizza delivery person in a cubicle, pouring over the manual they are given.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #16
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I will try and relate the problem we had. Its was almost a year ago. I got Direct TV back in 1995 even paid for the first dish 600.00. They were good about coming out and had few issues. Went full time in 2007. While in Waldport OR. had the system upgraded and a DVR. Installer even made sure the back tv work throught the system he was great. Later down the road in 2008 in New Mexico the reciever went out. So called and after three rep's they agreed the reciever was bad. They would sent a new one, we waited two weeks and called them back and they said it was delivered two days ago. We told them we had not received it, come to find out they had sent it to Waldport Or. To the Trailer Park her Parents run and where we had the first upgrade. I asked did they want the receiver sent back to them and they just said no, we will send another, it still took two weeks and showed up. About a year and a half later, the new one started having the same problem. We were at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and we waited for the rep to come. Three weeks no show. I told the DW we would wait since we were leaving in a couple of weeks for Beaver Dam AZ. for our Winter job. I called after we settled in waited again for the installer or tech and he called said I'm here and I said I don't see you in the park, he was at the Grand Canyon, I told him we gave the office our new address twice and he was 200 hundred miles away. So he said we would have to resheadule. We did and two weeks later a secound Tech called and again he was at the Grand Canyon not in Beaver Dam AZ. I called them and told them after 15 yrs cancell and I called Dish and have had them since, and only had one problem and they still wouldn't send someone out but didn't lie said I would have to have a local tech and pay for the problem to be fixed. So at least I rather be told the truth than have them say they will and don't get it right twice. Sorry about the lenth of this, I left a lot of things out, but you get my drift I hope. Later all.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #17
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have Dish with an additional monthly charge for SERVICE- We set up and call Dish who sends out a local dealer to get us on the air- I am not technically qualified to do the setup- This keeps the air in our proximity from turning "blue" At least not because of the satelite- Cuts down on the length of "happy hour" also- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #18
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
We live in Canada and our satellite service is with a company called Star Choice, this company is now owned by Shaw here in Canada. When I first signed up with Star Choice we got a package for the house. I mentioned to the service rep that we also traveled, and could we have a 2nd package for the fifth wheel. No problem said the service rep in perfect Engiish and from a corporate office here in Canada. We actually have two HD receivers in the trailer, one for the living room TV and one for the bedroom. Their service rep even dropped off 150 feet of coaxial cable. Bell, the other Canadian satellite company gets very upset if you are south of the border and call regarding any reception or service problems. They will shut you down stone cold and start quoting chapter and verse about violating FCC regulations, and that the RCMP, FBI, CIA, etc. will be looking for you!!!!
They gave me the "away from home" package, 2nd large dish, 2nd receiver and we pay another $4 a month for this. We were offered the choice of two different network services, one from the east and one from the west. In the west it was either Seattle or L.A., and in the east it was Detroit or New York. So we have Seattle and Detroit, so here in the west if we want to watch any of our favourite shows we can pick them up on the eastern networks at 5 pm. I don't have to make any calls, punch in any zip codes, etc. We simply set up the
dish and where ever we can get a signal, we are in business. We spend our winters in Yuma, AZ and with the larger dish we get at minimum of a 80% signal, here at home we get 95% on a bad day.
We see lots of US residents with Star Choice in various US states, and I am assuming these were other Direct or Dish customers who are fed up with being jerked around.
The only problem about becoming Star Choice customers might be the fact that you probably have to give them a Canadian address for billing purposes.
I am currently paying $72 a month for two complete packages, both high def, and the one here in the house has the built in Personal Video Recorders. When we go south, we take the PVR with us,
klash is offline   Reply With Quote