Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Firearms?

I'm a sportsman and wonder about having shotguns rifles and handguns on board. Any warnings or advice? Any special knowledge I need?

HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
I love to target shoot pistols and trap, so I do take my guns with me. In fact one of my favorite places to stay is the Spokane Gun Club (trap and skeet). They have full hook ups at a great rate.

I keep the shotgun in the back of the closet (empty of course); have gun safes for my revolvers and pistols, and keep all my ammunition separate in the compartment meant for the generator.

I do have a concealed carry permit for all the states we travel in. You do have a problem if you want to go into Canada - they do not allow handguns. So I end up leaving them with friends when we cross the border.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
There's a lot of ground to cover with those questions...
Here are a few considerations that immediately come to mind:
Laws: Since you are traveling, you have to consider the laws pertaining to the particular types of weapons, where in your RV or TV that you may carry them, whether they can be transported loaded or unloaded, if the ammo must be in a different compartment than the weapon, if the weapon(s) need to be cased or broken down (ie: bolt/magazine removed), capacity of magazines (California for one is real particular about this), etc, etc. Laws can (and do) vary from state to state. Look at reciprocal agreements if you have a concealed handgun permit. Not all states honor other states permits. Transportation and possession of firearms outside the US can be tricky as well. You'll need to be aware of the country's laws before you travel there.
Safety: the same safety standards and practices that apply in your home also apply to your RV. If you intend to use a weapon for self defense inside your RV, keep in mind the penetrating power of the round that may be fired. The walls in an RV will not stop anything more than a BB gun. Collateral damage consideration is a must.
Security: Be aware that your RV may not be as secure as your stick built house so your weapons may be more vulnerable to theft.
I'm sure that others will add more considerations.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lsessoms

I'm a sportsman and wonder about having shotguns rifles and handguns on board. Any warnings or advice? Any special knowledge I need?
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
And if you cross international borders, the laws are even more strict like you aren't even allowed to bring in firearms of some types. I believe both Mexico and Canada have different and more strict laws for American citizens. Check the laws at every border crossing and don't try and hide anything.

Then I would confirm the pertinent regulations and keep them with you for reference in case you get stopped inside the borders.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Larry, Check this link to start even if you do not have a CCW permit. Some states, especially in the northeast, have very strict laws which also apply to the transport of rifles and shotguns.
Link: http://www.handgunlaw.us/
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
More info that you should research as to state laws: http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Thanks guys!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
One more quick item, if you have a CHL from a state that you are not a resident of, double check to make sure that the state you are traveling to does not have different rules for non-resident CHL holders.

Example: If you are a Texas Resident, Colorado will honor your Texas CHL. If you are a non-resident of Texas but hold a Texas CHL, Colorado will not honor your Texas CHL (at least this was the rule last time I checked about a year ago). Point is some of the maps for CHL agreements do not differentiate between resident/non-resident holders of CHLs.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Larry - something else to remember: 48 states allow CCW: 10 of which you are required to advise an officer that you are a CCW holder and are armed. Those states are: Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas. The last I knew the two states that deny CCW
are: Illinois and Wisconsin. With all the law suits pertaining to the right to carry and CCW those two states may have changed their laws.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
" I WOULDN'T TAKE A WEAPON TO CANADA. We have traveled in most States and have never had a issue. If your retired Military ask before entering a Military base (family campgrounds etc) make sure of the rules.. There is a book about having firearms, can't remember the name (CRS). Don't know if its true or not but if your stopped and the LEO runs your Lic if you have a C/C permit it will show up. I never travel with a weapon... Weapon of choice "The Judge" by Taurus. Out next National Rally will be in Canada, and our manufactor is setting up a place to store weapons while we are in Canada. Good Luck on you decision. Make sure you have been trained in the proper use of a deadly weapon. DW will be getting her C/C permit when we return to Tennessee in Sept. Happy Trails...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Yep, don't take a weapon into Canada, when you cross the border, they run your plates and hand guns will show up. I've been asked several times about them, always tell them they are at home in the stick house, which they are. I understand you can take shotguns and long guns, but requires some paperwork.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
No handguns in Canada ... well, it's their country.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If anyone is interested there is a huge thread on the Escapees Forum discussing the gun issue. In particular a good discussion regarding taking handguns into Canada. You do not have to be an Escapee member to read and post on their Forum. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Lots to weed through there...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

If anyone is interested there is a huge thread on the Escapees Forum discussing the gun issue. In particular a good discussion regarding taking handguns into Canada. You do not have to be an Escapee member to read and post on their Forum. Dennis
Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You do need to be aware of the various laws in the various States. There are links posted on this thread that will help.We have had a CCW for many years. last time we checked we were good in 38 lower 48 States plus Alaska. Here in Ohio it is noted on your drivers license. If your license is run it will show up. We have not had problem anywhere. We have never been questioned and that includes crossing the Canadian Border.Of course we have no firearms on board when we cross.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rich, in Missouri we are given the option of a separate I.D. or they can put it on your drivers license. I opted to have a separate I.D. for various reasons.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:13 AM   #17
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Lions and Tigers and "Armed Ozz" oh my

sorry couldn't resist

Just a note, nothing is marked on my drivers license, but when they run my plates they get the info that I have a CC permit, maybe a New York State thing.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nothing is marked on my license..but...when it is run the CCW shows. Many States do that. In Ohio SB 17 that goes into effect Sept 2011 does away with many requirement regarding carry in a Vehicle. The requirement that you must inform the LEO on a routine traffic stop that you have a LOADED firearm in the vehicle remains the same.

My issue is I may NOT have a firearm in the vehicle at all but that I have a CCW shows up when my license is run. That happened to me locally and the LEO said..'you don't have a firearm aboard do you" and I replied no.
I said the law says that I have to inform you if I have a firearm on board.He said that is true but it is a good idea to let the LEO know anyhow..so I will.
It kind of irks me because of all the security check we went through to get the CCW says I am a good guy.The LEO should be more concerned with the personwho does not have a . Anyhow does not hurt to inform the LEO.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just this afternoon was watching the show Alaska State Troopers, and the very thing happened. The Trooper ask the passenger was there a weapon in the car, the passenger said yes but the Trooper still cuffed him. The Trooper said he should have told the Trooper he had a weapon as soon as the Troop came to the window.

Tennesse also issues the drivers Lic and a permit similar to the Lic.

While in Canada a few year ago, the Border Officer (Canadian) ask me several different ways did I have a weapon, I said no but he kept asking after he finished the questions. I then ask why I was question so many different ways about a weapon, his answer was the Retired Military Sticker on my Truck, said many Retired Military hav weapons. I said yes and I do also but I don't take a weapon to Canada.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #20
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
The reason it is a good idea to provide your CCW/CHL license is a LEO wants to know of any weapons that exists. If you have a CCW/CHL and do not inform him he is thinking 1 of 3 things is going on:

* You do not a weapon on you and by law you do not have to provide your CCW/CHL license
* You have a weapon on you or in the vehicle and forgot to mention it. That happens a lot especially when the weapon is in the glove box or under the seat and has been there for a while.
* You have a weapon, you know you have a weapon and for some reason you have chosen not to disclose you have one.

Once the LEO learns of your CHL/CCW the odds are he is going to ask about weapons. Unless you want to do the dance it is just easier to tell him of you license and of any weapons. He going to ask anyways .....

I have been pulled over while carrying many years ago by a rookie DPS officer. I informed him when he walked up to the window of the truck that I have a CHL, what I was carrying and where it was. Because my ID was in my right rear pocket and my weapon was on my right hip I wanted him to know all that prior to me reaching for my ID. He thanked me for letting him know, asked for me to reach for my ID slowly. I was never asked to exit the vehicle, I was never asked to remove or show him my weapon. He wrote me a warning for my missing front plate (the reason he pulled me over), told me to fix it and sent me on my way.

As for how LEO feel about CCW/CHL I think the police chief of my community summed it up best recently. At the first of the year we moved in to a new City Hall. Our previous City Hall also housed our municipal court so the carry of a weapon in the building was prohibited. The municipal courts remained in the old building when we moved city offices to the new building. City Council was asked if they wanted to pass an ordinance to prevent the carry of weapons in the new building. The police chief was asked how he felt about the issue. His response was that statistically CHL holders commit crimes at the same rate as licensed police officers (less than 1%). In the past 15 years since Texas allowed concealed carry we have only had 1 violent crime committed in our city by a licensed CHL holder and the crime did not have a weapon involved. We are a community of 42k people.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote