Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Anticipation

We love Colorado, the beautiful mountains, 65 degree mornings, low humidity, friendly healthy people, it has it all. I enjoy my quiet morning bike rides around the camp ground.
But we are ready to explore. The Black Hills of South Dakota are beckoning us, the more we read about it, the more excited we are.
We have a site reserved in Custer S.D. at Broken Arrow RV and Horse camp, Sue loves horses and has a bag of carrots ready.
I was just reading one account of a family driving out of a granite tunnel to see Mt. Rushmore framed in the tunnel entrance. I can’t wait.
The Alpine Inn; Hill City South Dakota. Menu? Don’t need one, the only thing they serve for dinner are Bacon-wrapped Filets, comes with a wedge of lettuce and home-made Ranch dressing with a baked potato. I’m all over that!
We leave tomorrow, tires are aired up, fuel tank is full, Wyoming, then South Dakota here we come!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ozz,
Several of us MOC'ers are here and wonder what took you so long to get the itch. Must be all that freon you inhaled in your younger days!!!! Hope you enjoy as much as Joyce and I have.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! Mike I think we will, we think all of it is great. Yesterday we went into a new large size Walmart, even had fun doing that. The greeter (as in old retired RV guy) said it was 7 football fields in size. I asked if I could get a taxi in the store...
Speaking of inhaling Freon, as a military guy, you know what Phosgene gas is, many a time I have accidentally burned Freon, man, it about knocks you out. One time I was in a commercial kitchen working on a big reach-in cooler when I pulled out the condensing unit a line broke, the refrigerant went everywhere, got mixed with the grill and fryer flames, we evacuated the whole kitchen. I thinks to myself should have gone to college....
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
And here I am overjoyed by the fact that I just made reservations for a weekend camping adventure 15 miles from the house?? There is something wrong with this picture, but I just can't figure it out. Enjoy it Ozz, I will hopefully catch up in 10 or so years!! The perils of still being an active member of the work force, I guess.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Ozz:

Where you going in Wyoming???? We are here in Yellowstone til the 12th and then we are off to Cody Wyoming....and then SD as well.....would be great to see you and Sue if we are in the same place at the same time!!!!!!
As well as any other MOC'ers in the area......the weather has been awesome here hope it continues.

Paul is checking out if we can get a site there now that he's learned about the Ice Cream Social......see what an influence you have......

Let us know if we can get to meet the great Ozz....on our journey.

Safe travels, my friend.

Betty
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bingo, I have fond memories of my time in the work-force, well a few not so fine memories as well. Take it while you can get it, and while you are able to get it. I admire you for keeping the target in sight, and enjoying life as you go along. I know what a good father and hubby you are also. Hang buddy, hang.
Betty, hope we do meet. We will be in the Black Hills area for...???? I just don't know. Oh, I guess I do, we will be out of there at the latest a week before Sturgis Bike craziness for sure.
Then across to Yellowstone.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
While you're driving through Custer SP in SD watch for the "Begging Burros". You will be able to stop and feed them some of those carrots you're hauling around. The burros are really cool and friendly.
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Ozz, Hope you enjoy the Black Hills. We did the 9 years we lived there from '78 to '87. If you like aircraft they have a static display of them out at ELLSWORTH, AFB. There is also a minuteman missile silo just east of town that is now open. The badlands are worth a drive thru. JOHN
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
If you are near some of the George Mickelson bike trail, that is worth the ride. Some of the trail is easier than others but it is a scenic ride none the less. There is a train ride you can take from Keystone to ?? which we wanted to do but ran out of time.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
OK, I just need to do it. Ozz, you are not going to do a turn through Sturgis on your bike without a shirt?
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

OK, I just need to do it. Ozz, you are not going to do a turn through Sturgis on your bike without a shirt?
Mike
I hear you can collect beads for that?????
Old 07-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parts Ed

If you are near some of the George Mickelson bike trail, that is worth the ride. Some of the trail is easier than others but it is a scenic ride none the less. There is a train ride you can take from Keystone to ?? which we wanted to do but ran out of time.
Ed, I stumbled across the site, I really liked it, I will visit it.
Down in Missouri in Colombia (Carl Edwards' home they have the Kady Trail, a very long old railroad bed converted to a bike and hiking trail, really gradual grades, I rode a part of it, too bad about the crappy Missouri weather, or I would have done more of the trail.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmboy

Ozz, Hope you enjoy the Black Hills. We did the 9 years we lived there from '78 to '87. If you like aircraft they have a static display of them out at ELLSWORTH, AFB. There is also a minuteman missile silo just east of town that is now open. The badlands are worth a drive thru. JOHN
That sounds like a trip to put on my list, thanks. I visited a missle silo in Kansas one time when I took a motorcycle ride to colorado, it was amazing. I would like to do it again.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltandLynne

While you're driving through Custer SP in SD watch for the "Begging Burros". You will be able to stop and feed them some of those carrots you're hauling around. The burros are really cool and friendly.
Sue said, "We better get another bag of carrots!"
Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
ozz one of the tunnels on the needles road you can see the faces though the tunnel before you go in. the man that layed out the road on horse back layed it out that way may be more than one I think. also some wood bridges that are hooked on the end of the tunnel when you come out of the mt a wonderful place indeed!!!
we are in montana sorry I missed you maybe later.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #16
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Mike
I hear you can collect beads for that?????
HUH???? You ain't equiped right from what I can tell.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, we are headed for Sturgis today or tomorrow, speaking of that deal..that should be interesting....
Old 08-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Greetings from Red River New Mexico, temp 66 degrees at this time. OZZ I'm sure your aware of this but you will see Motocycles by the hundreds. We were in Sturgis in 2005 the week before bike week. It was unbelieveable. The most interesting thing was the Crazy Horse monument. Have fun... Happy Trails....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Howdy Red River! we are all the way up to Gardiner Montana now, no grass grows under my feet...tires..
We saw hundreds of them headed to Sturgis on our way up into Montana.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #20
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Well I am now at the entrance to the badlands. Staying here for a couple days then heading in to the Black Hills, Custer area for a week. Yes, in bike week. Just the way it worked out. Should have been here a week ago and leaving today for Cody. But a little dental problem kinda screwed that up. Oh well, lots of bikes and crazies. If I can keep my patience and go with the flow it should be fun. Something about chaps and ladies. I will stop right there .....lol

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote