Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
David West
Established Member

M.O.C. #11266
Ordering a new Mountaineer - tire question?

I've been reading everything out here on tires that come from Keystone and don't intend to start anything with this question regarding best, not good, etc. But, since I'm going to order a new 347THT, can anyone tell me exactly what tires will come on it from the factory (like US made or not)?
I ask because personally, I'd rather run US tires and if Keystone ships with something else, I'd like to negotiate with the dealer on a tire swap before I pick up the fifth wheel. As the dealer I'll likely go with is in the midwest and I'm in South Dakota, have to do all this via phone and internet. At this point, the dealer just says "Goodyear" - figure you all will know for sure.
Thanks!

David West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Our 2011 Mountaineer came with Goodyear (made in CHINA) tires.
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Most of us would probably guess Goodyear, Goodyear Marathons with made in China stamped on the tire!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Do what ever you have to to get rid of the factory tires. They are most likely Goodyear Marathons or more accuratly,
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
David West
Established Member

M.O.C. #11266
Thank you, all! Since the 347 comes with the aluminium rims (I'm figuring they are 110psi rated but will check for sure), then I'll have the dealer swap out all the OEM tires for some G614RST.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
Our 2011 347THT came with 16 inch E rated Marathons and yes they were made in China. We've towed it probably 8K miles well loaded including our 900# Harley Ultra without any issues-yet. Eventually I'll put LT load range E truck tires on it like we did to the Jayco.
The dealer basically laughed at me when I asked them to change out the tires before we took delivery. The story has been Keystone has a warehouse of these tires and intends to use them accordingly.
I think you be Ok with them keeping them properly inflated and checking them often.
Good luck & you will love the 347!
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
If a dealer laughed at me all they would see is my taillights pulling out of their drive. Until you sign papers you are in full control. Get what you want. Our economy is a buyer's market right now for sure.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Mine were kept inflated and checked religiously. I have a tire pressure monitoring system and one literally exploded on me doing a considerable amount of damage to the trailer. They had 10 thousand miles on them. When I got home, one tire on the other side of the trailer had broken cords and was 1 1/2 inch taller than it's mate. In my opinion, you are NOT OK with those pieces of junk on your rig.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
David, I agree that
1. Your tires are almost certainly "Made in China"
2. Replace them immediately with American made tires.

You have several good choices based on what I've seen other forum members using. I chose BFG Commercial T/As for my High Country, but for your heavier toy hauler you can't beat the Goodyear G614s from what others have said.
I didn't have any luck getting my dealer to just swap tires out, so I ordered them and had them just install them (no charge) and traded back the Powermax Towmasters for a full tank of fuel ($110). I was satisfied with that deal and have peace of mind with the better tires!
Side note: on the Towmasters, it was virtually impossible to find the "Made in China" label but it was there!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
David West
Established Member

M.O.C. #11266
kingdaddy, thanks so much. I do feel that in this current market, and given that I have cash, I should be able to drive away on the tires I want. I am waiting on a quote from a dealer in Blackhawk, SD --- which has seemed to take them forever. Meanwhile, I'll contact the dealer in Missouri yet again on the initial quote regarding swapping tires out. Really amazes me how when you tell a dealer how you'd like to swap tires (and have money), they just run away.
At this point, not really sure who I'll buy this brand new fifth wheel from. I guess any dealer who will do the tire swap. No offense to anyone who thinks otherwise, but after months of reading all the internet, I'll not run on anything other than USA tires. Just amazed at the dealers for Keystone, they act like I am crazy. While that may be true, I do have real money and want to buy a 347. We shall see, I guess.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
David: My 2011 Montana 3455 came with GY Marathons from China. After reading about the poor reliability of those tires, I am changing them out for G614's next week before I take my 1st trip. If I had been smarter, I would have asked (like you did) and would have negotiated for a change to a better tire or a price that was good enough that I would feel that the upgrade to better tires was included (about $1350 out the door). Commercial TA's and Duravis R500's have also been well spoken of on this forum. If you are running heavy, G614's are the ticket from what i've read.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
David West
Established Member

M.O.C. #11266
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BrokenElbow

David: My 2011 Montana 3455 came with GY Marathons from China. After reading about the poor reliability of those tires, I am changing them out for G614's next week before I take my 1st trip. If I had been smarter, I would have asked (like you did) and would have negotiated for a change to a better tire or a price that was good enough that I would feel that the upgrade to better tires was included (about $1350 out the door). Commercial TA's and Duravis R500's have also been well spoken of on this forum. If you are running heavy, G614's are the ticket from what i've read.
Thank you! Exactly what I'm thinking given the economy and sales in general. I'm happy to pay the difference on the tires, just seems like I am having a current issue with getting any dealer to do that, but I am sure I can get this resolved. Between my Harley and the tools I carry, I figure I need higher load rated tires, so the G614s are my choice. Of course, may not be needed for others. Just kind of amazed how the dealers I have spoken with back off on tire exchanges, given that I will show up with well over $40,000+ to get the trailer. Perhaps I have not yet found a good Montana dealer yet?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Get as far as the final signature and bring up the tire issue again. They will give if they are smart. I did it with a car once and they couldn't change the tires fast enough.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
David West
Established Member

M.O.C. #11266
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Get as far as the final signature and bring up the tire issue again. They will give if they are smart. I did it with a car once and they couldn't change the tires fast enough.
Thank you and will do. Meanwhile, if anyone has a favorite dealer between western South Dakota and Missouri, I am all ears! Honestly can't believe how difficult it has become to tell someone "sold and I have cash." Perhaps the RV dealers I deal with do not realize that the economy has just dropped into the toilet. Any recommendations would be most appreciated. I do not mean to take my own thread off track, but I would just like to order up a totally loaded 347THT with the tires I want, get the dealer to install a hitch on my F350, pay cash and then go see my mom for a few months. This process just can't be as difficult as I'm running into, right?
Old 03-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David West

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Thank you and will do. Meanwhile, if anyone has a favorite dealer between western South Dakota and Missouri, I am all ears! Honestly can't believe how difficult it has become to tell someone "sold and I have cash." Perhaps the RV dealers I deal with do not realize that the economy has just dropped into the toilet. Any recommendations would be most appreciated. I do not mean to take my own thread off track, but I would just like to order up a totally loaded 347THT with the tires I want, get the dealer to install a hitch on my F350, pay cash and then go see my mom for a few months. This process just can't be as difficult as I'm running into, right?
Hi David!

Yesterday I just ordered BF Goodrich Commercial TA's for my Montana. At the moment, I am running the Mission china bombs that came with the rig. I have one tire that is looking questionable and will be glad to get my BFG's on. If you are in western SD, have you considered Capital RV in Bismarck, ND? Talk to Paul or Bruce Bentz the owners. They are a great Montana dealer. Tell them I sent you
http://capitalrv.com/
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
David West
Established Member

M.O.C. #11266
Thanks, all. Got a quote earlier today from Midstates Campers up here north of Rapid City, they had no problem with the tire swap to the G614s plus will order up all the stuff I specified. So, looks like by early fall, we will be on the road!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Great stuff. Glad you got it worked out.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #18
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

David, I agree that
1. Your tires are almost certainly "Made in China"
2. Replace them immediately with American made tires.

You have several good choices based on what I've seen other forum members using. I chose BFG Commercial T/As for my High Country
Kingdaddy... what size did you go with? 235/85 or 245/75?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 AM   #19
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
The reason the dealerships do not want to swap tires with you is because they do not want to be stuck with those china bombs any more than you do!
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote