Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Tail swing while turning corners

I had a neighbor ask me a question today that I am not sure how to answer. So I figured I would take it to the experts. The question goes as follows. How do you know when you have gone far enough into a intersection to start making your right hand turn? Today while towing his new fifth wheel home he went to the outside edge of his lane to make the 90 degree right hand turn, and in doing so the tail of his rv swung into the lane to his left because he cut to sharp. Which goes back to his question, how do you know you have gone far enough to make the turn without running over the curb with the trailer tires? Any ideas or trick you all use. He has the 02 Chevy crew cab short bed. He was saying that he was told to wait until the rear bumper has past the curb and then crank sharp into his turn. The sheriff behind him today pulled him over to let him know what had happened when he came around that corner. (Did not get a ticket) =) I was not sure how to answer him other than saying you just get the feel of it. Does anyone here use a back door or a rear tire as a guide as to when to turn knowing that you are going to clear the corner? I was not happy with my reply to him. Anything would be great..

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote