Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 AM   #1
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
Washing dishes

OK, this is going to be a stupid question, so get ready...

I do the dishes. I figure since I have food allergies and my DW cooks for my allergies, the least I can do in return is wash the dishes.

I use the rinser. At home.

Why, oh why, don't RV kitchen faucets have rinsers? Oh, I've seen the $160 model at CW that has a pull-out rinser, and that's really wonderful, but why don't all (most, some) RV kitchens have sinks with rinsers? I've wondered this since 1998, when I bought my first SOB motor home.

I maintain that rinsing dishes with a rinser uses less water than rinsing under the faucet, and dishes end up cleaner with a rinser than dipping them in a sink half-full with water. Plus, the littler half of my Monty's sink is too small to dip plates in anyway (whose bright idea was THAT?).

So here's my stupid question:

How do YOU wash & rinse dishes in your Monty? Please, no smart-alecky answers like, "I use paper plates, stupid," or, "I eat my chili with my fingers and pour soup into my mouth right from the can." I'm serious. THIS is serious. Really.

radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
At home, we rinse dishes and then wash them in the dishwasher. I know they advertise that you don't need to do that, but we do anyway. So in the Monty we rinse them under the faucet and then wash them. Guess which tank fills up first? We fill this tank first - one time it even wouldn't drain out of the sink - yuck!
You may be right about a sprayer using less water than the sink, tho.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Our faucet has a sprayer in it. You can pull out the front part of faucet and use it as a sprayer. I'm sure you can buy one of these at Lowes or Home Depot.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Steve, Due to the parameters you have placed on our response, "How do YOU wash & rinse dishes in your Monty? Please, no smart-alecky answers like, "I use paper plates, stupid," or, "I eat my chili with my fingers and pour soup into my mouth right from the can." I'm serious. THIS is serious. Really." I have no response to offer! Jim

P.S. I would guess they install faucets without sprayers to hold down cost and complaints. If you tried to use a sprayer off a faucet while running off the pump I doubt that the diverter would work very well. If hooked to city water it would work fine. Sounds like you are going to need to bite the bullet and pony up the bucks for a new one. When we have to replace the faucet in our unit the new one will have a sprayer.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have a faucet with a pull out sprayer. True, we did replace the original faucet, but it also had a pull out sprayer. Ours is Price Pfister and works well.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I also do all the dishes, and do have a sprayer. We also have strainers on both sink. I try very hard to never let anything go down the but water. I paper wipe plates before washing them. As someone said Lowes, Home Depol has many different faucets and sprayer combo's. However we do use a lot of paper products, plates, forks, spoons etc. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:45 AM   #7
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Well....DH replaced ours with one that has a sprayer and also a soap dispenser. Love it........
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Steve, seriously many RVs offer the rinser/sprayer but in some cases it is an option(as our previous Monty) rather than standard equipment as in our current SOB. In the Monty DW washed dishes by hand in the SOB she now has the optional dishwasher and loves it. Did the $160 include insstallation? If not I agree you can find a replacement unit a lot cheaper elsewhere. If you have plumbing skills and intall it yourself you will be way ahead of CWs price, Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dishes....you have dishes....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Hummm, our Monty has a pull out faucet w/sprayer, why doesn't yours. Mine is factory stock.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Depends on the year of purchase and how many improvements any former owner may have made.

Example: We have early 2004, stock came with faucet with NO sprayer. Al replaced stock with faucet with sprayer. I don't use the sprayer much, but, do like it when I do use it.

OHHHH, and no question is a stupid question.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I expect it's all about cost why they are not provided. Even buying in bulk the sprayer option would be high and then passed on to every customer. You might want to ask for one if it's that important at the time of purchase, then the additional cost is only passed on to just you. Some units might already have them but I think most will not. It's all on what the dealer orders based on customer history.

$160? You don't have to use an RV version from CW. There are plenty of brands that would suit an RV in weight and less price or give you plenty more at that price. Fortunately, faucet/sprayer combinations that work can probably be found at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc. Just measure the distance of the holes to make sure and take a good look at the fitting to get them incorporated correctly.

In our case, while it would be nice and we have one at the stickhouse, I have a consistent water supply and drainage at the stickhouse. In the RV we try and minimize the amount of debris in the tank to minimize resulting odors. We try and clean off into the trash bin as much residue as possible before washing in the sink but that's just our SOP.

By all means, change out the fixtures to what you want. I have also read that an MOCer installed a sprayer as an addon buy purchasing matching faucet and sprayer.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

We have a faucet with a pull out sprayer. True, we did replace the original faucet, but it also had a pull out sprayer. Ours is Price Pfister and works well.
Same here.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Our 2009 has a pull out sprayer from the factory.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We put a sprayer on the end of the faucet, about $4.00. Works fine. You could do as bcinwv has done and add the Vectra Dishwasher to your unit. We use a lot of paper but I insist on real plates for dinner. I do the dishes alot and have no problem with our add-on sprayer. We also wipe with paper towels so no food goes down the drain. Do the dishes that way also...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #16
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I added a sprayer to our previous TT. I "tee'd" into the hot water line under the sink. That way it was completely independent of the faucet - no diverter. These can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot or such. If I recall correctly, the sink had a predrilled and "plugged" hole by the faucet. If it doesn't, I suppose you could drill one depending on what your sink is made of. Our current older model Montana's kitchen sink is plastic and has no hole. Nice hole fittings are available for the sprayer or come with the kit.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Our Big Sky came with faucet/sprayer combo as well. And we have replaced our sticks & bricks faucet with a combo as well which we got at Costco and I absolutely love it.....I'm thinking of taking it when we sell and installing it in the 5er.....although I do like the one in the Monty as well.

Betty
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
ours came with it also.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Our 2007 3400 came with one, WE use it all the time.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
Riverside
Established Member

M.O.C. #4497
Our 2008 Big Sky came with a pull out sprayer on the end of the faucet. We ended up replacing it with a different faucet with the pull out sprayer that has a higher neck on the faucet. The higher neck allows better use of getting pots and pans in the sink to wash and rinse.

Carol
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote