Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Frame Issues ???

Well I seen my first Lippert retro-fit to prevent frame roll yesterday. Its similar to the Mor/Ryde X factor except its not a bolt on system, it has to be welded on. I think this will be a great modification to prevent frame roll. We for sure know now there is a problem and is just waiting to happen. Don't know if they need the retro-fit on the Mor/Ryde IS system. But on the regular suspension it would be a good idea to get the Mor/Ryde X factor or go to a good welding shop and get them to fab the system for the 5th wheel. GBY...

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Lindy, there are already two crossmembers on the IS, just not one in the middle. Not sure where they would put that one as no shackles or springs to mount on. I recommend any additional stabilizing equipment for any suspension system.....We have a lot riding on that suspension. I believe what richfaa says in that these things were made to "recreate" in and not necessarily how a lot of us use them, i.e. As our primary home....Hence the saying "Take care of your home and it will take care of you". (Or maybe that's our kids??), Who knows!!!!! Happy New Year to you guys!!!!
Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We saw the Mor Ryde X factor system at the plant when we were having our IS system installed. We had the "bolt on" Cross member already installed on our OEM system after we had our U bolt "incident" The X system is a great add on to the OEM system to strengthen the suspension system. I would suggest it to everyone.. and think Keystone should add it OEM. Like Phil we do a lot more than "recreate' id this thing so we went with, like Phil, to the IS system.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Can someone define "frame roll" for me, that is a term I have not seen before.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The X system is a great add on to the OEM system to strengthen the suspension system. I would suggest it to everyone..
Would this be for all Montana's, or just for certain models or certain years.

Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bingo frame roll is just a word I used, other may have the proper name. The frame that I looked at yesterday was on a 2009 Landmark with a 12" frame. And I think Keystone is going up to the 12" frame? Frame Roll is were the shackles is connected and for some reason (weight, ruff roads etc) causes the frame to roll to one side or another and the coach will fall onto the tires and we know then your tires will have to be replaced. I know owner personnally and he was told that he was very lucky by the repair team from Lippert. I read in some cases that the shackles actually twisted. There is a Montana owner who was in Alaska who had a similar situation, just can't remember his name. He was at the Rally at Goshen, I think he might have been the wagon master, he might know the correct name. I would for sure check your frame to shackle area before each move. GBY..
Old 12-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Would this be for all Montana's, or just for certain models or certain years." PAPABEAV... This is a hard call.. It appears that the system can go on all models all years. We had just one support that ran between the Mor Ryde plate assemblies and gave support in that area.
IMO.. If one used the camper hard.. many miles on the road under various conditions..It would be worth the effort. Of course we went with the Mor Ryde IS system which would be the best way to go...but expensive. I would not be surprised to see(the X factor) Syetem or something like it OEM on the bigger units..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Delaine, could you elaborate on where you saw the Lippert Retro-fit for frame roll? Did some owner had it on his unit, do you know if the retro-fit was paid for by Lippert because of some problem the person had or was it just something an owner had put on for some reason??

Thanks
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
No it wasn't paid for by Lippert, I think the 5th wheel was a year old this past April and was out of warranty by the manufactor and Lippert. The 5th wheel is in the RV park we are in now, the owner of the 5th wheel had Ins and notified the Ins that Lippert had a retro-fit and Lippert did send a repair team out to fix it. This wasn't a preventive measure, the 5th wheel had a frame failure (Frame Roll) and had to be repaired before they could continue. They are full timing. GBY....