Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
hoganc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9305
Send a message via Yahoo to hoganc
Cable connection for satelite

I am wanting to run a section of cable from the port side basement storeage to the TV shelf in master BR on a 2007 Mountaineer 342 PHT. Anyone have advice on where you can drill a passage way to route the cable?

hoganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The dealer brought the cable up under the dresser then over to the washer cupboard then up to the receiver. They put the new bedroom connection above the factory one in the convenience center.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
hoganc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9305
Thanks, I will give that a look. I think the dresser sits on top of a raised floor section. Don't know what might be in that area, but I suspect wiring etc.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I have a 2006 329RLT and our bedroom layout looks the same as yours. I looked at running a wire through the floor of the closet in the corner behind the wall the TV connections are on. Wire would be out of the way and not visible.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I came up in the bathroom cabinet just past the water pipes then through the wall under the cabinet and the dresser. Used wire loom to the front closet.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm not familiar with your model so I don't know if you have two cables already going through the amplifier to the front and back bedroom. If you do, all you should need is a switch to change from antenna to whatever system you want to use. No holes, no fuss, no mess.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
hoganc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9305
Someone told me that the cables installed in the campers were not suitable for carrying the dish signal. That is why I was trying to run a separate cable. I might give that a try. But I am using a dish receiver that serves two TV's each with ability to tune their own channel. So, I know I have to go from the Diplexor to the 2nd set.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hoganc

Someone told me that the cables installed in the campers were not suitable for carrying the dish signal. That is why I was trying to run a separate cable. I might give that a try. But I am using a dish receiver that serves two TV's each with ability to tune their own channel. So, I know I have to go from the Diplexor to the 2nd set.
RG-6 cable is recommended for satellite signals and the rigs are mostly manufactured with cable like RG-59. This cable will carry the signal but with some degradation.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Most newer model 5th wheels have RG-6 cables. I use two HD receivers. So make sure if your using two receivers and aren't using a Diplexor just remember you can't use a converter, you can't split digital signal. And if your PDI'ing a new 5er. The dealerships will be using the off Air antenna to demo the TV's. Totaly different systems. You will have to have a dish type antenna and a receiver to check a satellite system. Been there and done that, most dealer's don't have a clue on how to install a Satellite Dish system. But if you have the option of getting a Traveler Roof mount dish system I highly recomend it. We have both the Traveler roof mounted dish and I still take the TriPod mounted system also. Trees is the enemy for roof mounts, or for that matter tree are the enemy for RV's. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
For the short run that you will be using, RG-59 will not show that much degradation. The velocity of propagation (VOP) is only a 4% difference between RG-59 and RG-6. VOP is the speed at which a signal travels through the cable. Again, for those short 20 foot runs you will not notice much of a difference, if you notice anything at all. A true test would be to have two identical of everything and compare the finished product. Yeah! Right!

I have used the RG-59 with my HD DVR and was totally happy with the signal quality, so if your system is equipped with RG-59 don't worry about it at use it for your satellite signal. If you have a good quality cable picture now, you will have a good quality satellite picture.

Probably the basic difference between RG-6 and RG-59 is the shield that is used. RG-59 will have less of a shield that RG-6. This means that you are more susceptible to signal interference from ham radio, CB radio, electrical equipment running near by, and even some of the appliances that you carry in your RV. Did you ever notice when running a blender or other appliance that you get interference on the tv? It travels down the electrical wire as radio interference and when it gets to the bowels of the tv it gets into the RF circuitry. If you are watching a low frequency channel, like channel 2, the interference will be greater than if you are on channel 13. It's just the nature of the frequency spectrum.

I would use RG-59 if it was already there and ready to use. I would check to make sure there were no long coiled runs of the cable, as the longer the cable the more susceptible you would be to signal loss. If you buy a 50 foot cable and use 40 feet, cut 10 feet off. Only use what you need and you will have no problems.

Edited: You can split a digital signal from a converter but you will need a digital splitter. These can usually be purchased from your cable company or electronic store.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #11
hoganc
Established Member

M.O.C. #9305
Lots of good information. Access to the cables behind the TV is not handy. I have already run an R-6 cable from the TV to the cabinet below to hook up the Sat. receiver. As it sits now, I can watch two different sat channels on TV's in living area and Master BR and use the onboard antenna for the TV in bunkhouse.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:40 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hogan,
If you are not to concerned with what is being viewed at the same time between the BR and Bunkhouse, you could run a splitter of of that line, get another remote (RF) and have satellite in both places. You could switch it in the BR with an AB A&B switch to selectively block the sat to the bunkhouse. The possibilities are there, you just have to decide what your final viewing pleasure is going to be. It would give the bunkhouse users an option to watch satellite.