Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Towing A Boat ?

Hi Everyone !
A friend of mine at work is thinking about putting a hitch on the back of their 5th wheel & towing their boat to the lake. She asked me about it, and naturally I said, "I don't know, but I know who would!" So, does anyone out there have info on how it's done, is it safe, etc... Any info would be appreciated. They live in Alabama and are planning on going to Lake Guntersville, also in Alabama, about 100 mile trip one way. They have a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel dually 4WD, a 33' 1997 Keystone Sprinter and would be pulling a 17' boat. Thanks in advance for your help.

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Wifeofdano,

If someone else does not come along here you might check with MOC member bsmeaton (Brad). He tows a boat with his Montana.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Jolu, Thanks. I did a forum search and have found some info.
Guess I should have done that in the first place! lol Wow! Where
are you at in your picture? That is magnificent!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I towed a 20' bayliner for years behind my last fifth wheel, the combination was 72" long. The boat had a nice coutom 2 axle trailer and towed great. Could hardly tell it was back there, you could just see about 3" of the fenders. You did know it was back there when you hit the hills. As for safety I never had any reason for concern. I alway took my time and I had brakes on the boat trailer so no problem stopping

Good Luck
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Brad hasn't posted on the forum for about 3 months now. I know he ended up with structural problems from pulling his double, and when he bought his new Mointana last year, he no longer towed that way.

I won't, because my boat is between 3500-4000 #s and I believe it's too heavy for the frame under the Monty. If structural issues do arise, warranty claims can easily be denied because of it.

If I ever get a smaller, lighter boat, I might reconsider.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although many people are somewhat frightened to pull anything behind their fiver due to manufacturers void of warranty (depending on the manufacturer), I've pulled jets skis and my current SeaDoo Sportster (15' / 1860 lbs) for years behind my 30' with no worries. The issue with going to a full sized boat is weight and overall length. a 17' boat will end up being about 21' - 22' long counting the tounge and motor. Behind a 33' fiver, you'll end up considerably over the average of 65' total hookup allowed by law in several states. The weight of the full sized boat will compound the issue. If this is an older fiver ... I'd imagine the voided warranty issue is mute however a Sprinters frame is fairly light to be pulling much around. You see alot out on the road such as a boat and trailer hitched to the sewer tube just flexing all over the place. I reckon it's what you're willing to be comfortable with and what your threshold of safety is!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Personally I would NEVER EVER tow a trailer with a trailer. Most 5er drivers are not at all trained to pull one trailer muchless doubles.
The big rig drivers pulling doubles are specifically trained and licensed to tow doubles. Also Most big rigs are built to tow doubles. Most RVs are not. And certainly not a 33' 1997 Keystone Sprinter.

BUT, if they insist than check the state DMV to see if it's even legal. In many many states it is not.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #8
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Thanks everyone - I'm printing this thread out & giving it to my friend.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
A few questions to ask:

- GCWR of TV.
- Can the RV trailer frame handle the weight.
- Total length...what is the state law for length.
- Safety...does the boat trailer have brakes.
- Is the driver capable of handling a trailer combo of this size.

IMHO, for a 100 mile trip, I'd make two separate trips, one for the RV and one for the boat.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Seventeen states do not allow a doubble tow including the District of Columbia. So that means thast 34 states allow it. The total length is usually 60 to 65 ft. We tow two Yamaha Grizzlies on a small flat trailer and the total weight is right at 2000 lbs. Doubble towing is not a problem as long as you plan ahead and don't have to back up.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In California, you are also required to have a proper driver's license to double tow. I had a friend that looked into this and he would have had to essentially earn the trucker's license and he didn't want to work that hard.

In other states I don't know what the driver's license requirements are, but there's a table on the Internet for it somewhere, I'm sure.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote